• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2024

Are they using more hours outside of the 9-5 day though? I don't know how the pay works at Alton Towers but I assume they put in for over time if the ride doesn't stop operating a certain amount after the queue closes?

Yes it was pointed out earlier that what was 4pm or 5pm closes previously are now 8pm closes. Plus a scarefest event has the scare attraction staff to pay for as well.

They aren’t bothered about that at all. The whole park is being run with people who are completely out of touch with what their customers actually want. Their biggest complaint is ride availability and queue lengths and nothing has been done in about 4 years or more. With the former being worse than it ever has been.

This is just the latest in a long line of annoying obstacles which deter people from having an easy fun day out. Visiting a theme park shouldn’t require meticulous planning and good fortune. The whole place has gone absolutely stale. Giving nemesis a new coat only masks over how bad this season has really been.

Again hyperbole, attraction availability is very bad and I don’t know if the new team are trying to fix that but time will only tell.

When it comes to events as it stands my opinion is.

1) Didn’t agree with losing Mardigras
2) couldn’t care less about Festival of thrills
3) Octoberfest is a great event so I can’t comment on it until it happens.
4) Scarefest I have been bored of since 2018, the new mazes are intriguing and the opening hours are overall longer (though I reserve judgement), so who knows.
5) Fireworks is fireworks
6) Christmas is poor but if I was in charge of Towers this year I would not put pressure on tech services over closed season so I can see why they might not push it.

Mixed bag really, to be honest I think events are the least of my concerns this season.

In a very rare move from Alton Towers (in fact I don’t think they ever have), they replied to TowersStreet and other fansites on Facebook today with some reasoning behind the cuts to hours:
IMG_0649.jpeg
Still don't think that they've done is legal. Advertise one thing, accept bookings, then change it.... We can switch dates for free? Surprised they don't try and charge us.

In a very rare move from Alton Towers (in fact I don’t think they ever have), they replied to TowersStreet and other fansites on Facebook today with some reasoning behind the cuts to hours:
IMG_0649.jpeg
Following extreme negative backlash from customers/fans.

Lacking empathy as always.

I wonder if the park would be operating at a loss if they did open for that extra hour. What is the defining reason behind closing the park an hour earlier?

Has to be profit margins in my opinion.

It very much looks like they haven’t hit revenue numbers this year and are trying to claw back profit margins by reducing costs. I expect the poor weather in the first half of the season hasn’t helped.

Staffing will be their biggest cost, reducing hours of the theme park and waterpark is a simple way of achieving that when you have a workforce that is predominantly paid by the hour.

Hence water park hours being cut to max of 5pm for the rest of 2024, the reductions from 6pm to 5pm at the start of the summer holidays in the theme park and now reduced Scarefest hours.

I’m surprised the 7pm Oktoberfest closes haven’t been cut back yet.

Hi, I was wondering is there any way to purchase Fastrack tickets for Scarefest without buying the whole VIP experience package? Right now on the website you can't seem to buy Fastrack for any Scarefest dates. Thanks.

So this is basically progress, but badly managed? We now have more days of Scarefest, but those additional days are slightly shorter (along with five other days). And so, rather than promoting the fact they have increased the opportunity to experience Scarefest, they have instead manufactured the scenario where the headline is that they have reduced hours via their ill-fated foray into dynamic opening hours?

I think this is basically the issue that Alton Towers (and Merlin more generally) have - they are so embedded in their own corporate culture they can't see how to properly promote their park to their customers, who don't care about Merlin's operational nuances or corporate culture.

If people don't argue losing this hour next year it might be two hours

If we went by that logic when 14 days of 10-9 openings years ago dropped to 9 days of 10-9 openings then by now we should have 1 day of 10-9 opening….

Still not convinced and still think it’s brown squidgy stuff to advertise a closing time and then change it but also think some folk are getting a bit OTT

I used this siteAfter looking at sunset times and previous TPG Lives,, it seems like from the listed sunset times (at least on the site I used) on the first week, we will get roughly around 1 hour of true darkness before the 8PM ride close, as it seems to be around 40 min between the listed sunset and actual darkness.

Last edited:
Still don't think that they've done is legal. Advertise one thing, accept bookings, then change it....
it’s legal. Terms state they can.

Merlin will endeavour to ensure that as many rides and attractions as possible are available for use by guests at the Attraction. However, we reserve the right, without prior notice, to close and change the programme of rides and attractions and/or the Attraction's operating hours. Merlin in its absolute discretion reserves the right to close the whole or any part of the Attraction at any time or to restrict the number of persons having access to the Attraction. The reason for any closure or restriction provided by this condition may include technical or operational reasons, capacity, inclement weather, special events or to ensure the safety and security of guests or if Merlin reasonably considers the circumstances so require. For tickets purchased in advance, if the whole Attraction is closed for any of the reasons set out above, Merlin may offer replacement Tickets for admission to the Attraction on an alternative date in substitution for any other form of redress.

If it was a major change such as changing a day from scarefest to regular operations then would probably be more to argue that the terms are unfair, but most you’d get is a refund of the ticket anyway. For a change of one hour I don’t think anything is owed, would you offer to pay more if they made the day longer after booking?

it’s legal. Terms state they can.

If it was a major change such as changing a day from scarefest to regular operations then would probably be more to argue that the terms are unfair, but most you’d get is a refund of the ticket anyway. For a change of one hour I don’t think anything is owed, would you offer to pay more if they made the day longer after booking?
Its worth mentioning that the 9PM ride close if often marketed as an inherent attraction of the event.

I imagine the cost of living and the very high prices being charged are now having an impact. People are not willing to pay the prices being asked of them and particularly when many have had a poor experience over recent years, or have seen Tripadvisor reviews from this year.

I had a Quick Look at how much the hotels are over Scarefest and your looking £550 roughly for three people for two nights. If the hotels were high quality with good restaurants and entertainment then no doubt people would pay it, but I think so many have been stung by recent stays that they are put off spending that much again. While others just can’t afford it. Especially when you can stay in a local b&b or premier inn and have a far superior experience for half that price at least.

Food quality and prices has definitely also had an impact this year, as had lack of rides and closures. Add to this the £10 car parking charge and it’s no wonder people aren’t bothering to go anymore.

I used to visit at least four times a year but the past three years I have been twice maximum. As for Scarefest, the reduction in hours may be another sign that park is struggling this year. Perhaps the stale line up of scaremazes is also putting people off.

Hopefully as we are seeing with other businesses this year, Alton will rethink their pricing strategy for next year to try and encourage people to come back. New ride openings will obviously help with this but the quality of the product really needs to be brought back urgently.

I imagine the cost of living and the very high prices being charged are now having an impact. People are not willing to pay the prices being asked of them
Although the ticket prices remain fairly low really. £37 now is the equivalent of £27 ten years ago.

Fast food prices have gone up a lot everywhere, too, the bigger issue in the park is the value for money on food. There is a significant premium on top of what a similar meal would cost elsewhere but the quality is worse.

After reading everything and coming to conclusion, I actually don’t feel a few 8pm closures in the week are a big deal.

We also did have rides in the dark at the start of the season which has never been done before. So I’m not gonna jump on the bandwagon and say Alton Towers has gone to S**t because it hasn’t they made so many improvements this year and they still have word class attractions However, they have had a lot of bad luck this year with rides maintenance, unexpected faults, poor weather and guest numbers down.

After new management making implementing several big changes this year, I think it’s trial and error with a few steps back and a few steps forward. I do still remain optimistic that next year will be a lot better fingers crossed.

Same I think it’s been a bit of hysteria particularly from the usual suspects who are determined everything the resort does must be a cost saving exercise.

It has been badly handled from a PR perspective but overall there is more actual scarefest than previous years so it’s just not a cut.

There might be more Scarefest event overall, but I would argue that it's not exactly where you want it. There are something like 25% less 9pm openings compared to last year, and that dark last hour (as well as the 1-2 before it) is arguably one of the best things about Scarefest as it gives more time to ride in the dark or experience scare attractions in the right atmosphere. It's a step backwards with regards to guest experience and satisfaction. Scarefest is literally to enjoy the place in the dark, and they're cutting that bit short. As others have said, why not just open later? A lot of people don't bother turning up on Scarefest days until the afternoon/evening anyway.