• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

SeaWorld & Aquatica San Diego

I can see why you'd think that @Robert.W, but let me try and reassure you a little. The whole aesthetic of Mako at SeaWorld Orlando is really, really nice in my opinion; it certainly won't look cheap! Here's the sort of thing we can probably expect in terms of theming from Mako:

Also, the ride will apparently be located near the park's Shark Encounter, so I'd personally say it makes sense.

Furthermore, most guests visiting the San Diego park have probably never visited or possibly even heard of the Orlando park, so the whole Mako brand will likely be new to them.

Name duplication isn't a new thing for SeaWorld, they've done it with Manta, Journey to Atlantis, Sesame Street rides etc.....

I'm surprised we haven't seen another Kraken yet.

So if no projects have been cancelled, SeaWorld will be installing 5 major coasters for 2020:

-Mako (SWSD)
-RMC Gwazi (BGT)
-Launch Coaster (BGW)
-Launch Coaster (SWO)
-Wooden Coaster (SWSA)

So you want to ride Mako? The one made made by b&m in an American sea world park with blue in its' colour scheme and this logo:
SWF_15_MAKO_LOGO_CMYK_TM.jpg

Looks great; should be a really nice star attraction for SeaWorld San Diego, if you ask me!
Nice cattle pen queue o_O
I'm sure that when it's actually open, they'll do what they did with Mako in Orlando and wind it around a bit through some nice planting! Or if not, they might do an undercover queue section with Guy Harvey on a screen talking about sharks, again like Mako in Orlando.

The comfort collars on Electric Eel have been replaced with smaller and less noticeable straps. Apparently they allow for a much more open and free ride experience.

I can only assume that Tempesto will have the new ones installed over the closed season and Tigris will have them when it opens this spring.

It would seem that SeaWorld San Diego are replacing Wild Arctic with a new Arctic-themed experience in 2021. They've said that it will be under 30ft tall, and they have also indicated that the Penguin Encounter may be refurbished. Here's what Lance from Screamscape had to say about it:
Screamscape said:
2021 - Wild Arctic Ride Replacement / Penguin Encounter Update - Rumor - (3/22/19) According to the local news SeaWorld San Diego is looking into ideas to replace the park’s Wild Arctic simulator attraction. A park spokesperson confirmed that after 25-years of service, they are looking to “replace the ride experience at the attraction” with a new kind of arctic themed ride, but one that will be lower than 30 feet in height. Little else was revealed other than that this project is something they are planning for 2021.
Previous rumors had indicated that the park may have been planning to also renovate the park’s Penguin Encounter this same year, which sits across the plaza from the entrance to Wild Arctic. If this plan is still in the works, it would likely see the animal exhibit completely renovated, much like what was done in Orlando… but without the costly dark ride experience that was added in Florida.
Fun note… going way way back to the time I spent at this park, there was one a dream of creating some kind of attraction that could sit between the Penguin Encounter and Wild Arctic, that could offer two different experience, one that would offer a trip to the south pole and unload guests at the Penguin Encounter while the other would be a trip to the north pole, dropping guests off inside Wild Arctic. It is also worth mentioning that while the park says it is time to replace the ride… this could be misleading as the sister attraction built at SeaWorld Orlando is a few years older and still operational.
In my opinion, this is very promising news for the park, but I'm not sure what the replacement could be! I'm thinking some sort of dark ride, but I could also see an enclosed coaster. What do you guys think?
P.S. Here's the Screamscape link: http://www.screamscape.com/html/seaworld_california.htm

Here is a look at Tidal Twister:

I still despise the look of those restraints, not overly looking forward to riding this later in the year.

In a rather interesting move, it would seem that SeaWorld San Diego has changed the name of this ride to Emperor:

I must admit, I think I prefer this; it's a more original name!

It also means that I no longer have to specify which Mako I mean when referring to my number 1 coaster! ;)

Ooh, I like! Never been of a huge fan of the same names/IPs being used by parks in the same group, so good on SeaWorld for making the change.