• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

SeaWorld meltdown

Sam

TS Member
About a month and a half ago, a documentary film called Blackfish screened on CCN in the US. I haven't seen it yet, but it's a film centring around SeaWorld Orlando's orca Tilikum, which has killed three people, and uses that story to criticise the way SeaWorld treat their animals.

Since then, a movement has gathered pace that has begun to seriously damage SeaWorld. This has especially focused around a summer event the Orlando park was due to host with some reasonably big name stars, a lot of whom have pulled out one by one. The Guardian has a good article on this:

The Guardian said:
Blackfish, SeaWorld and the backlash against killer whale theme park shows
Willie Nelson is just one of the artists rushing to cancel gigs at SeaWorld after seeing Blackfish, the documentary about killer whales who have attacked their trainers.

Heart are an unlikely bunch of revolutionaries. But the American soft rockers' decision to cancel a concert at SeaWorld in Florida may mark a turning point in the relationship between humans and one of the most magnificent mammals of the ocean. The band this week joined Willie Nelson and Barenaked Ladies in cancelling shows at the Orlando theme park because they had watched Blackfish, a film about Tilikum, a five-tonne male orca that has been involved in the deaths of three people. This modest yet riveting documentary has made ever-bigger ripples across the pond since its premiere at Sundance earlier this year, with an audience of 20 million recently watching it on CNN. It is now on the Oscar longlist.

Tilikum's plight – enduring violence from other captive whales and forced to entertain crowds in return for fish ever since he was captured in the wild in 1983 – is vividly depicted by former trainers. The film's conclusion is inescapable: we have no business keeping such large, intelligent mammals in such crippling confinement. We too might get a little psychotic, it suggests, if we were imprisoned in a bath for 30 years.

Blackfish, a Native American term for the orca or killer whale (actually a member of the dolphin family), began with an innocuous premise: Gabriela Cowperthwaite, the director, wanted to examine how people relate to large predators. As Cowperthwaite, who lives in California, stresses, she is not an animal rights activist and did not intend to make a controversial film. "I couldn't have been more naive about the situation in SeaWorld," she says. She regularly took her twin boys there as a treat. "I'd see hundreds of children smiling and think, 'How can something that makes people so happy be such a bad thing?' All of us are complicit, starting with myself."

SeaWorld is the slickest of what Cowperthwaite now views as aquatic circuses. The company owns 12 US theme parks and its shtick – orcas leaping to lights and music alongside their trainers – may make many adults cringe, particularly in Britain, where there are no dolphins in captivity. But in the US, more than 11 million people visit a SeaWorld each year.

When Cowperthwaite read news stories about the death of Dawn Brancheau, an experienced trainer killed while performing with Tilikum in 2010, she was stunned by a barely reported fact: Tilikum had been involved in two earlier deaths. "This story was hiding in plain sight. Once you learn the truth, it becomes your mission to tell it. The facts are so indisputable. This is an industry that has operated untouched for 40 years and it governs itself. There's no true oversight of places like SeaWorld."

Blackfish has belatedly provided a window into the aquarium. The story of Tilikum's life – and Brancheau's death – begins with traumatic footage of orcas being captured in the wild to establish parks such as SeaWorld Orlando, founded in 1965. Although wild capture was outlawed in the US in 1972, orcas continued to be seized in foreign waters: Tilikum was caught, aged two, off Iceland in 1983. His early life was spent in a cramped Canadian park. When part-time trainer Keltie Byrne slipped into the pool containing Tilikum and two female orcas in 1991, she was killed. The park was closed and "Tilly" was snapped up by SeaWorld, eager to buy a new male for breeding.

Tilly's life performing (and providing sperm for the creation of 21 other captive orcas) is poignantly recalled by trainers who mostly started working at SeaWorld as idealistic, animal-loving teenagers in the 1990s. John Jett, who now teaches environmental science at university, spent four years there in the 1990s. "He has no life," he says of Tilly. "He gets beat up and he floats like a slob all day – attacked by mosquitoes by night and sunburnt by day."

In the wild, orcas swim 100 miles in a day; here, they live in relatively tiny pools. Individuals from different social groups are thrown together and fight badly, raking each other with their teeth. In small pools, there is no escape from the fighting and, as a big male, Tilly was continually attacked by naturally dominant females.

CxOnRd9.jpg

Dawn Brancheau pictured at Sea World Florida in 2009. The following year she was killed in front of horrified onlookers during one of the park's killer whale shows. Photograph: Barry Bland/Barcroft Media

Blackfish is not a balanced film, and its ending, implying we should watch whales in the wild instead, is problematic, since too many whale-watching boats have a negative impact on cetacean welfare. But Blackfish is chiefly unbalanced by SeaWorld's decision to refuse Cowperthwaite's repeated interview requests. While big corporations' standard strategy is generally to lie low (McDonald's didn't aggressively confront Morgan Spurlock over Super Size Me, for instance), SeaWorld called Blackfish "shamefully dishonest, deliberately misleading, and scientifically inaccurate" after its release, and accused the film-makers of exploiting the "tragedy" of Brancheau's death.

In a detailed rebuttal to film critics, SeaWorld argued that Blackfish wrongly asserted that captive orcas were "bullied", when fighting was natural in the wild; incorrectly portrayed SeaWorld "callously" breaking up orca families, when it tried to keep groups together; and inaccurately implied SeaWorld used punishment-based training when it only "reinforced" the "natural range of behaviours" of orcas. Most fundamentally, SeaWorld disputed the claim that Tilikum killed after being "driven crazy by his years in captivity" and argued that "all the evidence" suggested the orca was interested in Brancheau's ponytail, grabbing it and pulling her into the water where she drowned.

There is, however, credible evidence contradicting claims that Brancheau was pulled into the water by her ponytail. Former trainers view SeaWorld's theory as an attempt to attribute her death to "trainer error". After a lengthy court battle, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration fined SeaWorld for a "serious" violation of employee safety and banned it from putting trainers in the water with orcas, a ruling SeaWorld is appealing.

The marine park might be correct to say that Blackfish exaggerates the life expectancy of wild orcas versus those in captivity, but most of its rebuttals have been easily countered by the film-makers. It is indisputable that captive orcas have nowhere to escape aggression and that distressed calves are separated from their family groups. And how is it "natural" for an orca to leap out of the water to touch objects in the air, or let a human "surf" on its back?

I have more luck than Cowperthwaite in getting a response from SeaWorld. Fred Jacobs, vice-president of communications, tells me the company is unshaken by the growing musical boycott. "This appears to be an orchestrated campaign by animal rights extremists and does not reflect the reality of SeaWorld as a zoological institution, or the true nature of public opinion of marine mammal display," he says. Why does SeaWorld keep orcas in captivity? "For the same reason any zoo or aquarium displays any animal," he says. "Because it serves an invaluable educational purpose, and provides experiences that build not only awareness and appreciation for animals, but a passion to conserve them."

Nevertheless, it is still difficult to avoid the conclusion of most experts and many trainers: orcas are profoundly ill-suited to life in a tank. "Of all the places to keep killer whales in captivity," says Jett, "SeaWorld is the best – that's a pretty sad statement. Some animals can adapt to life in a captive environment, but killer whales are clearly not one of them. We can't come close to duplicating their life in the wild."

For all the outrage over Blackfish, it is business as usual at SeaWorld. After some aggressive ticket discounting, its profits in the third quarter of 2013 soared to $120m. Jett and Cowperthwaite are convinced, however, that public opinion is shifting. "I never tell people not to go to SeaWorld," says the director. "I just hope if you get anything from the film, you understand what you are seeing when an animal performs for you. Just because it's magnificent and beautiful doesn't mean it's ours."

Will Travers, of the charity Born Free, believes Blackfish will fundamentally "change public attitudes" towards orcas in the way that the 1966 film Born Free did with lions. Where musicians lead, advertisers – and the stock market – may follow. But Travers thinks it may take two decades to ban orcas in captivity: he campaigned against wild animals in circuses 19 years ago and only now is the British parliament legislating against the practice.

Former SeaWorld employees don't believe it will ever voluntarily hand over its orcas. Does SeaWorld have any plans to stop keeping these creatures in captivity? "No," says Jacobs. "In fact, a baby whale was just born in our park in San Antonio."

• Blackfish is out now on DVD and Blu-ray

Now Screamscape reports today that Joan Jett has told SeaWorld to stop using her music during their shows. This campaign seems to be snowballing, and doesn't show any sign of stopping.

How bad will the damage be to SeaWorld's image, and the Orlando park? Should they stop producing the orca shows, like the Shamu show?

No living creature should be made to perform in captivity for our entertainment.

As much as there's a vocal group against keeping whales at the parks, I doubt this is something that will change in the near future. You only need to see the crowds these shows attract to see that documentary or not, the vast majority of Seaworld's visitors are happy to see such shows.

Following the number of artists pulling out from the live music shows at Seaworld though, I would expect those not to make a return next season. Instead, it'll be more of the shows with recorded music, most likely composed especially for the park to prevent issues with artists like Joan Jett requesting their music not be used.

Will it damage their image? Yes, to an extent it will (and indeed already has). As much as social media can make a bigger deal out of these documentaries, I reckon it's another protest campaign that they'll eventually ride out.

Although I don't think we'll see a major difference in the way Seaworld runs in the short term, longer term we'll perhaps see a change. There's very little chance the orcas they have at present can be returned to the wild, but as they get older they'll need to obtain new animals. Clearly, after this documentary and other coverage in the past, this will likely be substantially more difficult compared to how they did so in the past. It's only then that I feel Seaworld will really have to think long and hard about what they can offer their visitors.

There are a lot of places which treat their animals a lot worse than Sea World, but they aren't getting any of the attention.

Sea World will look after their animals and they also do a lot of good rescuing various other animals.

Wilsy said:
There are a lot of places which treat their animals a lot worse than Sea World, but they aren't getting any of the attention.

Not many other places keep full-sized killer whales, and make them perform tricks and stunts.

Clearly there is an issue of proportionality here. A local zoo keeping a few flamingos in a cage is not as much of an issue as SeaWorld keeping these massive creatures in a tank. The article said they would usually swim 100 miles a day in the wild, and they'd have to be kept in a tank the size of SeaWorld itself to come anything close to replicating their condition in the wild.

I always felt uneasy about these shows (and apart from that, they're crap, cheesy, naff entertainment anyway).

I don't see how anybody could see Blackfish and fail to be moved by it. I was never really a fan of performing animal shows, having always felt uncomfortable with it, in fact the first time I saw the Shamu show I cried, simply because it just felt wrong to me.

I watched Blackfish and read Death at SeaWorld by David Kirby, and I shall never be visiting SeaWorld again, simple as that.

I think that it's clear that attitudes are changing when it comes to whale shows. More and more people are siding with animal rights groups and I think in a decade or so they may become a thing of the past. After that, dolphins will be the next obvious target. The Sea World parks might have to find an entirely new angle. It will be hard because although we might know the parks for their coasters, the Shamu shows are the real signature attractions at Sea World's US parks.

Interestingly, Flamingoland used to have a killer whale called Cuddles as well as a pilot whale, a white whale and number of bottle nose dolphins throughout the years. They performed in the pool now used for the sea lion show which is ridiculously small for such animals. Changes to pool size regulations in 1993 put an end to dolphins and whales performing in the UK although if someone built a new pool big enough it could technically still happen.

Jean%20Tiebor%20-%20Cuddles%20-%20Flamingoland%201.jpg

I was going to post about this a while ago, I have refused to watch Blackfish so far as to be honest I just find these things too distressing to watch.

One thing I do know, it has serious backing, and whilst social media can jump on things and throw them out of proportion, there are many respectable and seemingly non-reactive types that are appalled by this film (hence my decision).

The only thing I have seen to equal it coverage wise is Taiji, with the Sea Shepherds/Cove Guardians.

Flamingoland used to heve them? O.O
Now that I think about it, I seem to remember seeing a killer whale show at Windsor Safari Park when I was a nipper...

I have no issue with well run animal exhibitions that put welfare and conservation top of the agenda, but my issue with Seaworld is it is not practical to build a tank that comes anywhere big enough to comfortably home a killer whale. These are big mammals that need a big space, I'm also not at all happy with the idea of making animals perform. We stopped thinking bear dancing was a good entertainment years ago... Why is making a whale do similar acceptable?

I'm not against zoos, and I recognise that Seaworld do some amazing work for conservation. I've always felt a little uncomfortable about Shamu, but the revelations of Blackfish have pushed me to be completely against it.

Incidentally, it's wonderful to see self-styled hilarious misanthrope Robb Alvey and to a lesser extent, Lance from Screamscape, dismissing those bands and visitors removing their support from the park as 'morons' and 'attention seekers', 'sheep', etc. You know, rather than people who've been urged to think a little deeper about a difficult situation.

Urg, I remember seeing a bear getting treated very badly at a circus when I was little...

But making a horse dance sideways in the Olympics is OK though. So is jumping on their back and hitting them to make them run faster than another horse. ::)

DiogoJ42 said:
Urg, I remember seeing a bear getting treated very badly at a circus when I was little...

But making a horse dance sideways in the Olympics is OK though. So is jumping on their back and hitting them to make them run faster than another horse. ::)

There is a fine line between working with an animal, enjoying a great bond, doing it in a way an animal enjoys (consider it this way, what would that horse be doing if it wasn't in dressage) - and doing things that is stressful for an animal, purely there for humans entertainment and even putting the animals in danger (Grand National can come under this).

However I fail to understand how keeping something as large as a whale in captivity to do tricks and shows for humans has any place today (unless important conservation work is taking place in certain conditions).

If you take that bay where the dolphins work, by choice, helping fisherman to catch fish it perfectly illustrates that we can enjoy symbiotic relationships between species in their normal surroundings. There is no coercion involved - and it really is quite moving to watch.

IanB said:
DiogoJ42 said:
But making a horse dance sideways in the Olympics is OK though.

No different to owning a dog, and teaching it tricks.

Kind of have to disagree here, teaching a dog tricks is beneficial because a dog can feel like it has a job and has earned its food, which as a natural predator stimulates the brain and can have a positive effect on the dog and it's interaction with us.

Dogs decided for themselves to become companions with humans, it was a mutually beneficial relationship. Dogs can become bored and exhibit problem behaviour if they don't feel like they have a role to play.

This is why it is always better to feed them etc after a walk. Slightly off topic there but another example of how relationships between humans and animals are complex and individual. What is OK for a dog, isn't ok for a horse/whale etc.

DiogoJ42 said:

Fyi dancing horses (and dogs and some sea lions) feature at Europa Park's Winter Circus.

Just in case it determines whether you visit it.

:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not that keen on any of it, but I'm willing to embrace dancing dogs, horses and even dolphins (especially if rescued, as is often the case at Seaworld), more so than one of the largest creatures on earth swimming in less than a few acres.

AstroDan said:
DiogoJ42 said:

Fyi dancing horses (and dogs and some sea lions) feature at Europa Park's Winter Circus.

Just in case it determines whether you visit it.

:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I trust animal experts (the science ones not the idealists).

Some performance training is beneficial for some animals (such as dogs and crufts) as it provides activity and stimulation. If an animal is hurt though by such performance both mentally or physically I won't see the show.

I know that line is moveable but it's the best I have.

I've just watched the documentary after reading the comments on here.

I've never been that interested in watching large sea creatures jump around in captivity to be honest, but I might have just tagged along with people if I was in a group who really wanted to go and see such a show. I know that you can't believe every single thing portrayed in documentaries, but this one has highlighted so many wrongs going on with this sort of attraction.

I'll now never set foot in one of those places after seeing this.

To be honest, whale shows just make me uneasy. Braying crowds laughing at an animal being forced to do silly tricks for their own braindead amusement to make themselves feel good just never sat right with me. "Ahahaha look at the silly fish jumping through a hoop ahahaha aren't us humans so much better ahaha silly fish."