• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

SeaWorld Orlando: General Discussion

I’ve got to say, I’m excited for this!

Having ridden Shockwave at Drayton Manor last week, I’m actually of the controversial opinion that while a bit weird, the standing riding position isn’t abhorrent in itself, and a really fun ride could be made out of it!

Also, I have a huge amount of faith in B&M. Recent history suggests that their new models are rarely duds, so why should the Surf Coaster be any different?

If the Surf Coaster maintains a similarly convoluted loading procedure to the older standups, however, I do wonder whether the model would benefit from a dual station like many of the B&M flyers have to increase capacity. Shockwave, which is a standup coaster with the same number of riders per train as this will have, was achieving around 300pph, or a train every 4.5 minutes, on my recent Drayton visit. Even with 2 trains like this will have, that would only equate to 600pph tops; I think SeaWorld would likely need higher capacity than that.

I’m guessing SeaWorld has thought of that, though, so who am I to question?

I suspect the latter is more likely. A surf coaster sounds like a perfect concept for Sea World. Especially as it's Sea related but not animal related, which reflects the new direction for the park since animal shows became a controversial subject.
Also back in the 90s John Wardley lead the concept for the Dive Machine and Flying Coaster based on the type of ride experience Alton Towers needed. And I wouldn't be surprised if the same was true for the wingriders. So at least half of B&Ms popular ride models were developed in this way.

I suspect the latter is more likely. A surf coaster sounds like a perfect concept for Sea World. Especially as it's Sea related but not animal related, which reflects the new direction for the park since animal shows became a controversial subject.
Also back in the 90s John Wardley lead the concept for the Dive Machine and Flying Coaster based on the type of ride experience Alton Towers needed. And I wouldn't be surprised if the same was true for the wingriders. So at least half of B&Ms popular ride models were developed in this way.

Seems really feasible…. At the end of the day it’s better for a business to supply what it’s customers desire as opposed to releasing a product nobody wants (the S&S Axis coaster being one!)

While nothing has been confirmed, there is significant work taking place at the Antarctica dark ride currently with rumours of a reopening in the near future, possibly with upgrades to the ride.

While nothing has been confirmed, there is significant work taking place at the Antarctica dark ride currently with rumours of a reopening in the near future, possibly with upgrades to the ride.

I'd heard the ride cars were all dead because the batteries were left to go flat during the pandemic and now won't hold a charge. Then given the reaction to the ride is a bit meh, they had decided guest satisfaction wise its not worth spending on the batteries.
Maybe they do have an idea to make the attraction more of a wow?

In regards to Antarctica I read recently that it would be the next project after surf coaster. With a new /reworked dark ride. Most likely scenario is same ride system with new story, theming and effects etc

So it appears Seaworld have taken a rather sneaky approach to increasing costs. Instead of putting up menu prices of food and drink, they are adding a 5% ‘surcharge’ on top of all bills.

They have gone to the trouble of having the menus re-printed with small text to point out this extra charge, so why not just you know, up the prices of the items like anywhere else? Seems a very unique way to leave a sour taste in customers mouths - and wallets.

F53968AF-5F25-400A-AA09-90B380C6176E.jpeg

They've been doing it for a while now and seemingly across all the SEAS owned parks. It was definitely happening at Sea World San Antonio when I visited in June.

Just adjust the actual prices of your food to reflect these 'extras' instead of that. Plus of course in the States there's the customary sales tax so the price on the board is never what you pay.

To be fair it's a good way of doing it. It makes it visible and can clearly be removed if supply chain costs reduce

Standard practice at the moment for most supply chains - seem it's now making its way to the consumer

Good way of doing it...sounds like a sneaky method of increasing charges by stealth to me.
If you have put your prices up, do it honestly in your advertised prices, not a small print percentage.
As said, the posters have to be reprinted for the cost charge anyway, so why not do the honest thing and put the real prices up in large print, to make the situation plain to the purchaser.
Supply chain costs reduce?
Get real!
They will not reduce their prices whatever happens, the prices ratchet up with inflation, they have other costs to justify no fall when production supply costs reduce.
It may be becoming common practice in most supply chains, but this is not a "supply chain" issue, this is leisure retail...completely different ball game.
I know the States are famous for adding taxes and resort fees etc, but to me this stinks of underhand rip off.
If they did this at the Towers or Beach there would be screams of extortion!

Last edited:
Good way of doing it...sounds like a sneaky method of increasing charges by stealth to me.
If you have put your prices up, do it honestly in your advertised prices, not a small print percentage.
As said, the posters have to be reprinted for the cost charge anyway, so why not do the honest thing and put the real prices up in large print, to make the situation plain to the purchaser.
Supply chain costs reduce?
Get real!
They will not reduce their prices whatever happens, the prices ratchet up with inflation, they have other costs to justify no fall when production supply costs reduce.
I may be becoming common practice in most supply chains, but this is not a "supply chain" issue, this is leisure retail...completely different ball game.
I know the States are famous for adding taxes and resort fees etc, but to me this stinks of underhand rip off.
If they did this at the Towers or Beach there would be screams of extortion!

We shall see....

We are in unprecedented times. I suspect your correct and this will be the new normal but logically a surcharge is only a temporary measure

This feels like the standard American way. Whatever you see on the menu bears little resemblance to what you're going to pay when sales tax has been added.