• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

SeaWorld Orlando: General Discussion

A fast transition of this vein has worked before. Look at Thorpe Park, for instance; Tussauds threw everything and the kitchen sink at Thorpe Park during the 2000s to convert it from a family park into a thrill park, and that strategy really delivered the goods in terms of transitioning the park from family to thrill and growing its guest figures.

Between 2000 and 2007, park guest figures roughly doubled (in 2000, the park got ~937,500 guests, and in 2007, the park got ~1,843,750 guests; that’s an attendance boost of about 97%), and guests’ perception of Thorpe Park was changed pretty drastically. I’m aware that this bubble burst from about 2012 onwards, but I don’t think that it was the initial fast transition of the 2000s that caused that bubble burst to occur. Other factors played into that; the initial fast transition to thrill actually did very well for Thorpe Park, and had some degree of momentum continued into other areas, I think it could still have produced great results for them to this day.
I agree a transition can work, and I do believe SeaWorld can successfully do so, however the problem they've got is a massive image problem with the public as @AT86 pointed out. I do think there are some comparable here that adding thrill rides to a park that wasn't solely thrill before can work, and I do believe adding coasters and other rides might well be the way for SeaWorld but I'm not sure about there financial strategy to achieve it, it's far higher risk than I think is necessary. I certainly wouldn't be buying SeaWorld stock now as I think there investment strategy is dangerous. (not be clear I am not giving investment advice).

I agree a transition can work, and I do believe SeaWorld can successfully do so, however the problem they've got is a massive image problem with the public as @AT86 pointed out. I do think there are some comparable here that adding thrill rides to a park that wasn't solely thrill before can work, and I do believe adding coasters and other rides might well be the way for SeaWorld but I'm not sure about there financial strategy to achieve it, it's far higher risk than I think is necessary. I certainly wouldn't be buying SeaWorld stock now as I think there investment strategy is dangerous. (not be clear I am not giving investment advice).

Seaworlds attendance (in Orlando and across the group) and revenue has been on the up in recent years and since the current strategy of heavy investment. They are trying to turn the seaworld parks into Busch Gardens style parks just with the ocean theme. While they are investing across all their parks, I understand some of the heavy investment in Orlando is due to Epic universe coming in 2025. Ideally they would be adding more than just coasters, I do believe a non coaster project was/is planned for the old wild artic building, was rumoured once to be a flying theatre style attraction and at before the pandemic was expected to be the next project after the surf coaster, obviously things looked to have now changed. I have also heard a rumour in the last 12 months that they were looking at a sesame street dark ride similar to he one at Port Aventura.

While they are investing heavily each individual investment in the last few years is lower cost than earlier cap ex investments such as with Manta and Antartica as theming has been fully stripped back and is now much more Cedar fair with more basic entrance sign and fairly un themed stations etc.

As well as Pipeline opening this Spring, SeaWorld Orlando have started construction on another new roller coaster. This will open in 2024, replacing the defunct Antarctica dark ride, and is expected to be a family launch coaster. Intamin is the likely manufacturer, however Mack has been thrown around a bit too.

Crickey, the coaster investments at SeaWorld parks just don't stop do they. Clearly a lot of money to spend, but I can't help but feel it would be nice if a bit more of this money was spent on better theming and/or landscaping. Recent additions at several parks have left a lot to be desired on this front.

Continuing to chuck in coasters left right and centre is good and all, but I really feel like they need to start bolstering their support ride line-up. Outside of Sesame Street Land your only choices are the observation tower, Infinity Falls and a carousel.

Animal talks and exhibits are fine, but it’s pretty much coaster or bust at this point. I found on my last visit in September it was hard to fill more than a half day at the place, as much as I do like the park.

Yep, this one in particular feels like it makes no sense replacing a relatively new (but poorly reviewed) dark ride with yet another coaster. Would have been nice for them to at least try and put an improved dark ride in.

They are essentially becoming a sea themed version of busch gardens. I don’t find many non kids rides outside coasters at Busch gardens tampa either. Although adding the swing ride this year will help.

Hopefully some more variety in the future, there have been rumours over past few years of a sesame street dark ride and a flying theatre type ride being looked at. I did read they focusing on coasters and thrills as a point of difference to other orlando parks.

Although a family coaster is a big gap in their line up and one is needed. I expect it will be an Intamin straddle coaster, much like that had and is being added across the chain.

In terms of theming, I think SEAS has heard the feedback from their 2022 additions and that while they aren’t going back to building fully themed worlds like Antarctica anytime soon future additions will not be quite as bare bones. For example, Pipeline is going to have a themed water splash element by the lake, a themed lifeguard beach tower, a dedicated gift shop and plenty of trees/landscaping. In terms of the environment, it’s going to feel more Mako than Ice Breaker.

The thing with SeaWorld Orlando specifically is that staffing is a nightmare with Disney & Universal nearby, and the park know it could get worse with Epic Universe opening.
If a coaster is staffed with a ride host, two platform ops and a cabin op, that’s a lot of throughput for just 4 staff members. Smaller/filler rides are relatively high staff and get a low throughput in return, and I think this factors into SWO’s decision making. I truly believe they fear what Epic Universe could do to their staffing more than they fear any potential guest attendance impact.

Last edited:
The park has just revealed that they are preparing to reopen the abandoned Turtle Trek theatre to the public, but as a new-generation coral restoration facility that will be open to the public. The project will take advantage of the building's dome media integration, allowing it to double as a fun & educational exhibit attraction as well as a functional conservation facility .

From: https://twitter.com/RepDarrenSoto/status/1628470290912014341

Alongside the new Antarctica roller coaster now under construction, that is 2/3 abandoned dark rides being brought back to life in some form. Just Wild Arctic to go now, which I'm hearing is also moving along quickly. (The Wild Arctic animal walkthrough has remained open throughout the ride closure though.)

Good riddance. Stupid, dreadfully designed restraints. Hopefully will give a bit of the throughput boost too.

Wonder if Tigris will follow suit in the near future.

Ooh, terrific! This has made me look forward to Ice Breaker a bit more, seeing as I'll hopefully be riding it for the first time in June!

Excellent news. Hopefully comfort collars are removed from all other SeaWorld Parks Premier coasters that have them, they're a complete waste of time.