• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The fact that people feel unsafe here in the UK going on an inverting coaster that only has a lap bar is one of the reasons SW7 will almost certainly have OTSRs, which is a shame. I'm sure that lap bars will have been considered for the coaster but I doubt we will actually see them.

:)

But surely the only reason people would feel unsafe is because there isn't a UK inverting coaster with lap bars? People's opinion can't be changed unless one is built... Besides, these lap bar coasters look nothing like the 'lap bar' that would be produced in the imagination of the GP anyway.

I hope the lapbars on this (should there be any) are nothing like the Maurer lapbars. I can't tell whether it's them or the actual rough track but they make for terribly uncomfortable rides.

mrbrightside said:
But surely the only reason people would feel unsafe is because there isn't a UK inverting coaster with lap bars?

G-Force... I guess that's why the idea isn't very popular. lets just forget about that one.

The Psychoaster said:
I hope the lapbars on this (should there be any) are nothing like the Maurer lapbars. I can't tell whether it's them or the actual rough track but they make for terribly uncomfortable rides.
It's their design. They are not very ergonomic (doesn't naturally mould to a human body). At least the earlier ones aren't, no idea about the later ones.

delta79 said:
some said about the lapbar on th13teen, the problem with th13teen lapbar is I dont know what to do with my hands and arms.

And I will never feel safe inverting with only a lapbar.

Neither would I if an inverting ride had the same restraints as Th13teen. That's why the term lap bar is misleading. Inverting lap bars are very different. They have proper places to hold onto. Like Fredward said you forget you are wearing a lap bar because it feels it feels so natural.

Tim said:
mrbrightside said:
But surely the only reason people would feel unsafe is because there isn't a UK inverting coaster with lap bars?

G-Force... I guess that's why the idea isn't very popular. lets just forget about that one.

The Psychoaster said:
It's their design. They are not very ergonomic (doesn't naturally mould to a human body). At least the earlier ones aren't, no idea about the later ones.

I don't know but their track/seat design doesn't seem to have changed much in the past few years going by one of their recent X-Cars. I would hope that the Gerstlauer restraints are more comfortable - at the very least their track looks smoother than the terrible Maurer stuff.

delta79 said:
some said about the lapbar on th13teen, the problem with th13teen lapbar is I dont know what to do with my hands and arms.

And i will never feel safe inverting with only a lapbar.

Now i wait for the shout of scary cat ;D
Can only really echo what Tim and others have said - if you're thinking standard lapbar, like Thirteen, then that's not what we mean. Take a look at the Blue Fire restraint:

3505999666_4cb1a25dba_b.jpg

Although referred to as a lapbar, it's not really like any standard lapbar. It restrains primarily your waist and legs - exactly the parts which need restraining - whilst leaving your upper body free, unlike OTSRs. In the case of these restraints in particular, the 'where to put your hands' dilemma is solved thanks to the (admittedly useless) pulse reader.

If you've not seen restraints like Blue Fire's before, then it's completely understandable why you'd choose OTSRs over lapbars for any inverting coaster, but once you see what restraints are possible, and that although they're generally called lapbars they aren't in the traditional sense, it's hopefully clearer why everyone is hoping that we see something similar :).

Oh, and "scary cat", you say?

scary+cat.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

I'd love lapbars like Schwarzkopf ones, where you get a bar similar to Th13teens except thinner. Secure, yet alarmingly minimal!

inverting with a lapbar like the one on blue fire. :-\ i don't know.

oh and that cat pose looks like it should be on a ORP :D

delta79 said:

What are your hands and arms doing anywhere but in the air? That's where they should be when on a coaster at all times. Even on the lift hill, brake run, in the station or when waiting half an hour to be e-vacced. Handles are a formality. You're not supposed to actually use them!

When it comes to OTSR vs lapbars, I'm definitely in the lapbars camp. No headbanging, freedom to move and an unobstructed view. I struggle to see why anyone would prefer OTSRs. If you like feeling cocooned and secure, why ride a coaster that's designed to make you feel the exact opposite?

Have you ever been on The Ultimate? That now has lap bars, but was originally built with OTSRs. OK, it doesn't invert, but one of the reasons it was altered was that riders were suffering head injuries from the restraints!
OTSRs are horrid, vile things that are only good for bashing you in the side of the skull. EG, Infusion. The only rides where they are acceptable are Oblivion (because of the holding brake), or insane flat rides.

I will admit that I prefer OTSRs on drop towers, but that's mainly because I hate the things to begin with.

The restraints really are going to be the "make or break" point on SW7 for a lot of people.

Now youve posted more, I think I'm on lapbars side! Sometime Otsr do give your head a killing,
Lapbars would be a good talking point too, because there's no other like it in the UK.

Lap bars, anyone...?

gforce.jpg

Yeah, didn't think so! :p

Blue Fire restraints look okay (minus the pulse readers) and the Swarm restraints are snug but don't get in the way, so either of those lap bar styles would be okay with me. Not much for the Th13teen lap bars as the ops always ram them down and staple me into the ride. I guess the Iron Shark lap bars are what we'll receive if we don't get OTSR's.

Tbh, I don't really care how I'm held in, so long as the ride is comfortable. I'm not really fussed about freedom either. It's not like I'll need room to wiggle and twist around, or do anything else besides sit and enjoy the ride any way. But I draw the line at Vekoma's OTSR's. :p

On park yesterday, Lots of cranes and diggers about and a big pile of mud. The excitement never ends! Just wanted to add that the creepy face merchandise has been labelled SW7 which pretty much confirms that this will have something SW7-y. Got my mug now!

BigAl said:
Lap bars, anyone...?

gforce.jpg

Yeah, didn't think so! :p

I posted a couple of pages back saying that if Gerstlauer could somehow develop a hybrid restraint somewhere between a better version of that and something like the Rush restraints at Thorpe we'd be onto a winner in my eyes.

VickyLeigh83 said:
Am I right in thinking that Thunder Looper used to have lapbars? I've got to honest, I never felt 'unsafe' on that.
I believe it did. Although I never rode it so am just going off old photos.

Edit: It still only has a lap bar, here's a picture of the ride at its current home:

enmg2i0i00002cd9k7jhqg.jpg

I don't think the restraints are a huge concern for the general public as long as they're held in place. Therefore, I think it's going to be OTSRs. :)

Surely if the restraint type would not be an issue to the GP it would be lap bars as its the direction gerst seem to want to go in, not OTSR

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse any ridiculous mistakes!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.