• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I don't agree with the idea that it is up to the ride or theme to give context to its name. If that was the case you could just call it something like "Alpha3B" and that would be a good name if the ride explained why.

Words that make the best names like Nemesis and Oblivion mean something before you've even seen the ride they are attached to.

There are many similar words to the two examples above that could have perfectly fit this theme (from what we know of the theme at least) some examples could be:

Correction: The process of correcting something
Delirium: An acutely disturbed state of mind
Sacturary, (If it wasn't already the mazes name it'd make a fairly decent ride name)
Grin/Leer: A smile with potentially dark meaning.
ect.

Smiler means nothing without having some way to explain it, and as Merlin pointed out when talking about Th13teen they don't like giving explanations to rides as if it’s a case that you have to read or listen to something then some people don't get them.
Again this is a clear sign by Merlin that their marketing department work at odds to the people who actually work on the rides.

If this is the name though it at least makes it likely that this grinning face will be the logo which I do think is rather good.

I don't have any more complex objections to this name other than it just sounds stupid. Stupid to read, and it feels stupid to say out loud.

Even if it's linked in with the theme (which any ride name should be anyway), it simply just sounds crap. "Shall we go on Nemesis, Oblivion or The Smiler?" Stupid name.

It doesn't sound stupid to me and its certainly more imaginative than something like "correction". But these things are very Subjective.

To many people hearing Nemesis and Oblivion it might have been the first time hearing that word (especially Nemesis that had dropped out of current usage before 1994). So the only context they had about the name in 1994 was that portrayed in the marketing and on the ride.

Tbh, since this trademark first popped up in June, I would assume it is a trademark for the logo, as those smiley faces began appearing not too long after. And it makes sense to trademark the logo, so no one else can steal it. :)

Magrathea said:
Most of Merlin's trademark submissions have been done with languages like that, for whatever reason, including the one for Th13teen :)

Ah, I did not know that. I don't like this name, but I found Sub-Terra and Swarm to be poor, but ultimately the names aren't important. 'The Smiler' is something the public would describe it as anyway in relation to its logo so maybe a good call marketing wise.

Personally, I would have thought that "The Smiler" referred to the logo, or perhaps a portion of the ride. In my mind it sounds like a good "machine like" name for the hypothesised secret element.

However, I think that it could work for the rides name as well. The juxtaposition of such an innocent name next to an 8 times inverting beast of a coaster could add real irony to the name. Sounds almost sinister to me.

Ideally, would love The Ministry of Joy as the rides name but that isn't going to happen

I genuinely LOVE the name! (That is if it is in fact the name :p) I think it is perfect for the ride, a smile is normally something so friendly and welcoming, but this, well it just makes is so sinister and twisted.

Having done The Sanctuary and trying to link it all together, I really do think the name will fit perfectly with the back story to the ride and the overall theme! :D

Exciting times ahead people :)

Dave said:
It doesn't sound stupid to me and its certainly more imaginative than something like "correction". But these things are very Subjective.

That was an example I borrowed from someone else. I agree it's not that good but It does have meaning.

I'd also say that a rides name doesn't have to be imaginative. In fact if it's too imaginative then people won't remember it. You want something that immediately hits people and sounds interesting. And just because a word has meaning doesn't mean every guest has to know it. When I first rode Oblivion I didn't know what the word meant but some words just feel ominous and that is what’s important.

rightbackgranty said:
Ideally, would love The Ministry of Joy as the rides name but that isn't going to happen

Actually I think Ministry just by itself would make an intriguing name. It probably needs something more but it’s not bad.

Gah, I hate getting annoyed whenever I see potential ride names from Alton but they always seem to pick names which I don't feel like they work. They used to be so good at it and this isn't a Merlin problem because I like some of their names at other parks.

Moley said:
Thank goodness! Construction updates about to become few and far between (bar those taking part in their own version of Treasure Hunt), the ride manufacturer confirmed and a decent back-story in The Sanctuary meant a large gap in the "Things to moan about" department.

Jolly good.

I'm sorry. I think your moaning was drowned out by a sea of moaning. Hopefully the irony of that doesn't get similarly lost

The Smiler is a shocking name. Honestly.

Out of all the names they could pick, they choose 'Smiler' and to further discredit the ride, they add a 'The' in front of it. It sounds like a carnival or travelling attraction's name. Very poor quality choice.

At least I know what to get Merlin for Christmas;

color-oxford-thesaurus-maurice-waite-book-cover-art.jpg

Margrathea summed this up for me!

Nice idea!!!

Hahaha I love it :D - who cares if it does not sit well in a modern subtext stereotypical chav like language?

Now this, this I like - if this is geared as Craig also alludes to as a "contraption" called "The Smiler" in this very false, sinister guise, I have to just simply applaud.

Now, NOW, I am excited for SW7 - FINALLY some proper drama and theatrics again (if this is all true of course!) ;D

Oh, and I couldn't give a monkeys uncle, if some people don't get it. This ride seems it might get what we have all wanted for years now, since Oblivion - a PROPER FULL BLOWN STORYLINE!

EuroSatch said:
Moley said:
Thank goodness! Construction updates about to become few and far between (bar those taking part in their own version of Treasure Hunt), the ride manufacturer confirmed and a decent back-story in The Sanctuary meant a large gap in the "Things to moan about" department.

Jolly good.

I'm sorry. I think your moaning was drowned out by a sea of moaning. Hopefully the irony of that doesn't get similarly lost
Oh of course. I didn't mention shipping containers and Europa Park so mine, like oil in an ocean, is a different kind of moaning.

Moley said:
EuroSatch said:
Moley said:

Jolly good.

Oh of course. I didn't mention shipping containers and Europa Park so mine, like oil in an ocean, is a different kind of moaning.

This is a discussion forum, people come with different opinions as we are not an autonomous collective. Some people like it, some people loath it. Such is the beautiful tapestry of life.

Argue your point and try and avoid descending into sarcasm, it doesn't aid anything.

The easiest way is to picture it on a queue times board. And it just doesnt work in my opinion! It doesnt roll off the tongue easy enough!
Air:30mins
Nemesis:10mins
The Smiler:90mins

It reminds me of a fairground ride.

The name neither excites, nor infuriates, disgust, upset or annoy me. It's a name.

We will see an explanation behind the name in the queue line, no doubt, so despite what people on here are saying, it will have meaning behind it.

There's nothing we can do, if Merlin & Alton give SW7 this name. Embrace it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i am sure this will be the name, and to be honest I love it. Its very eery and freaky, pretty much how i imagine sw7 will be

My first reaction on the possibility of the new ride being called 'The Smiler' was 'WTF?'. So therefore, I think it'd be a good name. Whether it is or not, time will tell. But I wouldn't be disappointed if that were the case.

Maybe that particular name won't actually appear anywhere on the ride, it'll just be recognised by the logo at the entrance to the queue, on the cars etc. The obvious nickname being 'The Smiler'?

I'm going to agree with a point that a few others have made, that this may just be the name for the logo. Particularly if it was registered back in June. I don't necessarily think it's a bad name for the ride, but I do think a one word name would be better to fit with the rest of Alton's majors...

Who thought a name cause cause such an uproar. It's like the Th13teen name reveal all over again.

To be fair a few people against the name have posted some very valid and constructive points. Then I read other posts and almost start to think Alton Towers have committed a murder.

I myself love the name, given the theme that is slowly being revealed.

To be honest, i really dont like the name. It just doesnt catch me. Personally, and dont hate me for this, but I prefer "Smile" to "The Smiler."

"Smile" just has more mystery behind it and is straight forward. The Smiler, to me, would be better as the mascot name than the actual ride name.

It... It just doesnt work for me. :/

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.