• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I don't get the fuss over the name - no name would please everyone, let alone even a majority. If you think about it logically, whatever the name is, most people will associate the ride with the logo (presuming that will eventually be the ride logo) - and will therefore end up calling it "that smiling one" or something similar anyway.

cool_boy_jon said:
To be honest, i really dont like the name. It just doesnt catch me. Personally, and dont hate me for this, but I prefer "Smile" to "The Smiler."

"Smile" just has more mystery behind it and is straight forward. The Smiler, to me, would be better as the mascot name than the actual ride name.

It... It just doesnt work for me. :/

For me, I don't agree that "Smile" would be a better name. There is nothing hidden or scary or sinister about the word "Smile". Smile doesn't make me think "ooo whats that about". I personally like "The Smiler", if that does turn out to be what they call it. It suggests that it is something.. if that makes sense? I mean from what we've seen with Sanctuary etc, I think the name works very well. When I consider other names suggested on here, "correction" etc, its just a cool sounding word, and not much more than that. I think to be honest, Alton seem past the days of "cool sounding words like oblivion and nemesis". I mean is it more intimidating seeing a massive ride like nemesis, and then hearing nemesis. or seeing an massively intimidating ride, and then seeing it called something you wouldnt expect.

Pfft ..... This won't be the name probably from what I'm thinking it will definatly be something with are face friend probably something explained in the queueline backstory! :-*

7thHeaven said:
cool_boy_jon said:
To be honest, i really dont like the name. It just doesnt catch me. Personally, and dont hate me for this, but I prefer "Smile" to "The Smiler."

"Smile" just has more mystery behind it and is straight forward. The Smiler, to me, would be better as the mascot name than the actual ride name.

For me, I don't agree that "Smile" would be a better name. There is nothing hidden or scary or sinister about the word "Smile". Smile doesn't make me think "ooo whats that about". I personally like "The Smiler", if that does turn out to be what they call it. It suggests that it is something.. if that makes sense? I mean from what we've seen with Sanctuary etc, I think the name works very well. When I consider other names suggested on here, "correction" etc, its just a cool sounding word, and not much more than that. I think to be honest, Alton seem past the days of "cool sounding words like oblivion and nemesis". I mean is it more intimidating seeing a massive ride like nemesis, and then hearing nemesis. or seeing an massively intimidating ride, and then seeing it called something you wouldnt expect.

I dont think Alton chose the names "Oblivion" and "Nemesis" because they sound cool, they chose them for certain reasons, like the meaning of Oblivion is the condition of being completely forgotten, which goes in with the ride well.

Re: Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

cool_boy_jon said:
7thHeaven said:
cool_boy_jon said:

I dont think Alton chose the names "Oblivion" and "Nemesis" because they sound cool, they chose them for certain reasons, like the meaning of Oblivion is the condition of being completely forgotten, which goes in with the ride well.

Your right they didn't choose nemesis because it sounded cool, it was chosen because it ended with 'sis.

John wardley was drunk.

True story.

Put a gun to my head, but I kinda like the name. Don't know, it has a cheesy charm that someone tickles my fancy.

Yes, I'll be open to how everyone on here hates the name. But really, it's Merlin, what were you expecting anyway? Why don't we set out a poll for what the name should be then?

When I first heard the name 'the smiler' I thought of the Kid TV show called the slammer.

I just have visions of the staff shouting "ITS SHOWTIME" before opening the ride :D

yes, it is a tongue in cheek post

No matter what it's called, people will moan about its name and wish it was called something dumb like 'hammer strike' or some ****.

I'm still sitting firmly in Margrathea and Craig's camp on this one.

At first I thought it was crap, then I considered the context it was in.

If they have gone for this intelligent, pseudo psychological contraption idea, unfortunately I think it's hit the wrong generation.

Now, bring this out when Clockwork Orange etc was enjoying a popularity surge a few years ago, maybe - but now?

X-Factor is one of the most popular shows on TV for goodness sake. I hope though, despite my many, many gripes with Merlin and AT at the moment, that this is going to be as good as it could be, and that the efforts pay off.

For once, the theme and character of the ride, may actually be better than what we "enthusiasts" could imagine.

Now, wouldn't that make a refreshing change.

I'm surprised no-ones worked out theyre probably using "The Smiler" for the name of the face logo. There needs to be a decent name for it, they've found one! I can pretty much guarantee this will not be the name of the ride!

;)

Blizzard said:
I'm surprised no-ones worked out theyre probably using "The Smiler" for the name of the face logo. There needs to be a decent name for it, they've found one! I can pretty much guarantee this will not be the name of the ride!

;)

This was checked, and apparently the TM was residing in the same area as the rides, and in such a fashion that makes no sense for simply the logo.

I'm not saying that's correct, but there seems to be a bit more behind this to suggest it is in fact, quite possibly the rides name.

My thought was I bet they've just registered the name, akin to the Nike "Swoosh" etc - technically they I believe are usually trademarked as a "device"? No such mentions anywhere.

I am backing this as the ride name, (having thought the same as you), based on the evidence people have unearthed and past precedence.

Brilliant detective work to find this out though. Hats off!

It's a terrible name. Without the story that we are aware of, it has no context. I mean, what is "a smiler"? A machine? A person? To call the ride "The Smiler" would require some knowledge of what it is referring to, and this relies far too heavily on the theme working.

We have had many a discussion before on how should a ride be themed, and I think the general consensus has been that it must be able to convey a story without telling a story. The story may exist in someone's mind somewhere, but that does not need to be explicitly spoken to the audience. In essence, the story should be 'multi-lingual' i.e. speak to people with no language barrier.

The Smiler, however, does not do this. It requires the knowledge that the Ministry of Joy have come along, are determined to find some way to make people smile, and have built this machine for this purpose. Of course, this looks great on paper, but will it translate to the finished product?

The name itself, well. It's original, I'll give it that. But that doesn't necessarily equate with innovative. Quite the opposite, it's easy to see the thought trail: Ministry of Joy - want to make people smile - build machine to make people smile - machine called The Smiler.

I do however like the reference to "He made the desert smile". I wonder what hand the Ministry of Joy had in that...

The site has been busy today, lots of crane movement and cement being mixed at the top of the site. There was also quite a bit of movement in the tree area next to the pit at night. Outside of the park, more track has been delivered from the back of a P&O ferry lorry.

4326d44c09004020af1df63.png

44214d6e2930485fb50dcd1.png

5a99cbb0c1d84946b6fdbbb.png

aaa29ba7b07f418881089dc.png

31e60ba1f809446d9a82f0e.png

d878ac88a4074bef874b46c.png

5650f96aab4f474ba8857f6.png

47b9ccb0b3e146d6b290b53.png

fd9ee02091b144d7b5dd575.png

a78cba281e814ac0bd40008.png

Whilst speaking to a ride host today about the name "The Smiler", they denied that this will be the rides name and the name itself can be found on a wall within The Sanctuary. Although they do work on the complete opposite side of the park to where SW7 is located, so who knows.

Thank you for the well found photos! As far as the name goes, I like it. Oblivion works well because it matches it's logo. The Smiler matches its logo nearly as well. As far as a brand goes, I'd say it was very strong

Thomas said:
Thank you for the well found photos! As far as the name goes, I like it. Oblivion works well because it matches it's logo. The Smiler matches its logo nearly as well. As far as a brand goes, I'd say it was very strong

I agree :)

Danny said:
Whilst speaking to a ride host today about the name "The Smiler", they denied that this will be the rides name and the name itself can be found on a wall within The Sanctuary. Although they do work on the complete opposite side of the park to where SW7 is located, so who knows.

I would suggest it is probably a rather good job none of us knew this (or considered it even) before the end of scarefest....

Can you imagine? ;D

Great photo's too, do we know if it is definitely Gerstlauer yet by the way?

Danny said:
Would this be the first absolute, non-negotiable, undeniable and completely irrefutable proof that we're dealing with Gerstlauer? :p

Been a couple of years since I last saw that car, parked out back at Thorpe :)

Nope, B&M are being environmental and recycling Gert's old mobile office. Yep. That's definitely what's happening. Please?

Actually this ride has been created by Arrow Dynamics, the Gerstlauer car and office is a hoax. This ride has been in the making since 2002 when Arrow Dynamics faked going bankrupt just to keep this secret weapon tippy toppy secret.

I know this because I found a full confession in my tea leaves, along with illustrative artwork of the secret element and a secret map to "Wardleys treasure"

TheMan said:
do we know if it is definitely Gerstlauer yet by the way?

No, it a new Company call Reualtsreg, its just that the photos are for some reason mirrored imaged.

:D :D Sorry could not resist :D :D

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.