• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Would the weather really hamper building work going forward from now anyway? Or am I just being dim?

All the track is on park, the ground work is largely done in terms of footers, drilling, digging ect. The only problem I could see is them transporting track/materials etc from where they're stored to the site. Having said that though, I assumed bring stuff in like trains/theming pieces etc would be harder nice the colder weather hits.

Can someone enlighten me :)

I imagine they have started laying down track with most of the Bi-Rail stuff probably being delivered directly to the site. But they need to Install the underground stuff and the station stuff before covering the pit and building station structure. Also no footers had been dug for the majority of the ride so i guess they are working on that as well before the rest of the track can be brought in.

Well if we have a really cold or snowy winter it will certainly slow down work. I belive TH13TEEN had problems because of the weather. And the SW7 is a very different site to TH13TEEN as its on a hill, therefore if its very icy it will be very hard to access all the site.

mrbrightside said:
I presume they re-negotiated hours then due to delays as I was fairly sure Sundays were designated as 'no work days'? It's good to see a plan is in place to get the work done on time though.

I'd imagine so yes. They were working on Sundays towards the end of the season and originally that wasn't allowed. The original regulations also stated they weren't allowed to work past 5pm but that has also changed. I guess the council allowed some leeway due to them being behind the original schedule at some stage.

On a different note, I'm hating not knowing what's going on with regards to construction! :p I'm hoping and praying that some track is up by now, as if it's not then they are surely going to be in trouble; it will be December before we know it and we all know about the harsh winters we can get.

:)

Dave said:
TT have chartered a plane/ Helicopter to fly over the site but they haven't released anything yet.

The weather has not been on their side for this, then the first day the weather good the aircraft had technical problems and was unable to be used.

I feel a bit sorry for chris on TT, as it must be frustrating for him.

As has been noted on here many times, Gerst use much concrete in their footings, which will obviously be the last major construction part before the track is being built.

Any severe cold/water adverse weather can properly knacker it up. Looking at the last pics of construction that I saw, I'd say that site was quite a way from being sured up enough to take a big slab of it on the floor, plus station buildings etc, especially with the terrain of the site.

I'd say they could be in a bit of bother if they don't get a shufty on, but then a good construction team could have this build quick smart.

On the topic of the ride name, someone last week (i'm not sure whether on here or TowersTimes) suggested 'Hypnosis' as a name for the ride. To me, it just sounded instantly perfect for the ride given its nature.

So this evening I was just casually the Oblivion queue videos on YouTube and became very excited towards what I heard at the end...

From around 2:04 onwards Alton Towers - Oblivion Queue 2

It just HAS to be called Hypnosis...and it could very well become available at Alton Towers next year ;)

CoasterCrazyChris said:
On the topic of the ride name, someone last week (i'm not sure whether on here or TowersTimes) suggested 'Hypnosis' as a name for the ride. To me, it just sounded instantly perfect for the ride given its nature.

So this evening I was just casually the Oblivion queue videos on YouTube and became very excited towards what I heard at the end...

From around 2:04 onwards Alton Towers - Oblivion Queue 2

It just HAS to be called Hypnosis...and it could very well become available at Alton Towers next year ;)

WOW!!

I know I'm in the minority in liking the smiler but it at least has tugged at my imagination. Something like Hypnosis sounds like a fair ground ride name.

I felt the same when people said Surrender or Demon would be better than Th13teen though so maybe I'm just odd.

I thought it was you Chris that suggested the name on TT :p

While I do prefer it to The Smiler I agree with Dave that it is a rather bland name. The other rides in X-Sector have similar single word names but they also have a bit of intrigue behind them. Hypnosis just is what it is. However their are lots of lovely words that mean similar things but are a bit more interesting.

Plus that video is 14 years old, long before anyone would have dreamed of this ride and too obscure for anyone but an enthusiast to use as inspiration.

If there was one name which had cheap fairground ride written all over it then its "The Smiler"

Hyponsis at least is a bit better, though still not that great. With all the inversions, the design, etc then its a pity Submission has already been taken as that may have been a fitting name for the ride.

I find The Smiler to be sinister in its simplicity, as human nature is to associate happiness and positivity with a smile. Have that concept turned on its head by one word and one experience, and it makes for a pretty dark twist.

Hypnosis would be almost too self explanatory.. in my opinion it'd be like calling Oblivion 'Dive' or 'Plunge'.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Personally, The Smiler still hasn't taken a hold on me, and I still dislike it a fair bit. Hypnosis, while a clever link sounds a bit cheap though in my opinion. As Dave said, it sounds a bit like a fairground flat (That said, whenever I hear The Smiler I can't help but think of a Jump&Smile ride :p )

I've always like Alton when it comes to names, as they have generally avoided the cliche and generic names. They usually come up with snappy, single words which sum up the ride while retaining an element of mystery. Hex for example. A hex is an old word for a spell, or magic, so there's a nice link to the story there. Duel is a name usually used for a battle or fight, and the game involves just that. Air has the obvious link to flying, and Oblivion relates to the hole, and is tied into the backstory well.

Even if this was just called Smile I'd prefer it. I know it's not great, but I see much more subtle links to the what will no doubt be the story of the ride, like Hex and Duel. I can already see the Oblivion esque slogan from a video ("Welcome to Oblivion") forming. Something like Dr Kelman saying "Now lets see a Smile", or "Don't forget to Smile" looking dead at the camera, a manayical look on his face and a glint in his eye, staring into the camera, as the logo fashes briefly over his face, on two LCD screens hanging over the station exit in front of the shuttles...

If you ask me it just has more potential, and being a standard word rather than an object it can be much easier to weave in subtly.

That's just my thoughts on it, anyway :)

I've hated the name from the beginning, but I can see it working.

Whilst it will look awful on Queuetime boards, IF the logo is done right, it will stop it from looking like a fairground ride. We need something creepy looking, with a proper, non cheesy font to make up for the bad (though well connected to the theme) name. However, PLEASE NOT HYPNOSIS, that (in my opinion) is even worse :(

My favourite name from the suggestions so far is Delirium. Sounds great, is a memorable word which isn't too common and links well with the theme. I severely doubt that'll ever be considered though.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.