• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
If this is a new modern and technologically advanced Ministry Of Joy facility then why do the theming plans show what looks like a run down 1930's concentration camp? Yes, there's always a chance the theme has changed since plans were submitted but from what I gathered the buildings on site have to look the same as in the plans submitted?

I think in my post a few pages back I did not communicate what I thought properly - there IS quite a lot of storyline given so far but all I am getting from it is in terms of a theme is deranged doctors and nurses performing experiments on people in some decrepit pre-war style prison (based on what I have seen in the plans). To be honest, there is almost no originality here or elevance to X-Sector.

It's all rather depressing and really reeks of a creative department which are scraping the barrel with new ideas. What happened to the fantasy and escapism of the theming and storylines?? Isn't that what Alton Towers is all about? I just depair that come March I will end up queuing in another huge cattlepen waiting to enter another grimy shipping container with more blood splattered walls to board another ride that will leave me with a banging headache for hours on end. This is not magic.

Of course, there is a long way to go yet, it could still be epic.

:)

I've been thinking about this, and could we not see a split down the middle of X-Sector and have an old and new type theme going on?

On one side we have SW7 which is going to, if the plans are correct and Sanctuary is anything to go on, be themed around a 40s/50s style project run by the MOJ. This project, however, didn't run the way they wanted it to, so they build a new device in Oblivion.

If X-Sector is having a bit of an overhaul during the closed season and, as has been speculated, Oblivion may be receiving a lick of paint and a tidy up then I don't see why this can't happen. Just my two cents worth anyway :)

From what we heard in the Sanctuary, the maze was done to look old on purpose by the 'MoJ' to work out where they went wrong with that project 50 years ago. I don't think updating things is any problem, I'm just concerned that there'll be two different things going on in X-Sector and split the area in two. The 'MoJ' is carrying out their own experiments up in the corner of the place, so how does that relate to what was already in X-Sector?

To me, at this point, it sounds like a completely different theme going on. X-Sector is like science fiction technology and styling meets James Bond villain secret base, whereas this 'MoJ' idea is only similar because they too are carrying out experiments. That link is nearly as tenuous as saying Hex is the same style as Th13teen/Dark Forest because they're both tree related.

The Sanctuary was like a grimy hospital and SW7's station looks like an updated building with the same grime. None of it is even remotely what X-Sector is supposed to be.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
It's all rather depressing and really reeks of a creative department which are scraping the barrel with new ideas. What happened to the fantasy and escapism of the theming and storylines?? Isn't that what Alton Towers is all about? I just depair that come March I will end up queuing in another huge cattlepen waiting to enter another grimy shipping container with more blood splattered walls to board another ride that will leave me with a banging headache for hours on end. This is not magic.

Do you really believe that? I think this is actually a refreshing theme for a ride. Especially when compared to aliens / ghosts / haunted etc that is so often relied upon. There is a LOT of escapism within this theme. It's dystopian, scary (because it does have those links to reality), interesting, and definitely unlike other rides I've experienced (if it does borrow from The Sanctuary heavily). I think the theme is wonderful. I'm not entirely sure what enthusiasts expect most of the time. It seems from a lot of the comments on this thread that if Oblivion was coming out now people would be moaning about the theme!

I think we will find is that it turns out the MoJ is also behind Oblivion as well, they are giving a name to the force behind X-Sector. And Chris I still think you are taking The Sanctuary too literally, deranged nurses and Doctors existed in a more medicinal/ surgical way or Marmalising but SW7 will use different techniques.

Expect MoJ to appear around X-Sector as the secret government behind the area and DON'T expect Marmalisation to be exactly the same as The Sanctuary (the only bit that might be similar between the two is the hypnosis room in the Sanctuary).

They can change aspects of the outer building style (dimensions have to be the same) but I think SW7 will fit very well into X-Sector and the MoJ will be integrated into Oblivion which has a loose back story Anyway.

Oblivion - researching fear as a method of control.
SW7 - researching happiness of a way of control
Submission - researching pain as a method of control :D

I don't think x-sector will get a whole re-theme, maybe a new name though that fits in with experimentation...

'Scrutiny Bay' anyone? ;)

For what its worth I think...

1) Plans will be correct - or only slightly changed due to constraints.
2) IT WILL NOT BE CALLED THE SMILER!

I'm not sure of this fact, but have AT / Merlin ever trademarked a name of their Secret Weapon before it being made... I don't think anyone would in their right mind... Especially all the 'secrecy' surrounding the project. ( and the £20m price tag )

Not to mention I don't like the name anyway! I just can't imagine saying me saying "lets go on the smiler" without someone expressing a sexual innuendo. Although I agree, it could be sinister, but the theming & story would have to be top notch to justify the sinister-ism ( if that's a word. )

I don't personally have any major problems with the name as I actually think it fits the theme quite well; a facility/ride/mechanism or whatever you want to call it to make you smile, ie The Smiler. However I do agree with those saying that they need to get all of the theming and details spot on to make it work properly.

As for it fitting in to X-Sector, Thirteen didn't exactly fit into Ug Land did it. I'm not suggesting an area re-theme as I doubt anything like that will happen but it wouldn't be the biggest surprise in the world to see some area theme updates or modifications so that the whole area fits in with the whole MOJ thing. So we could see some slight story changes on Oblivion for example. I think we will definitely see some new back stories to X-Sector and the rides within the area.

:)

Idk if anyone's said this, but i have a feeling that THE SMILER is a new name for enterprise? It doesn't sound too intimidating for the younger ones who can ride, and it fits in with the new x sector theme. Plus, it with it being new, black and shiny I think it will really work! Maybe a logo on each car, and each car painted with a yellow stripe!
Or , a stupid idea here: Maybe each car or part of the ride connecting the ride to the car csrcould have part of the logo on, so when the ride is spinning, it would create the picture of the logo?

I think people are reading slightly too much into The Smiler as a name; I have every reason to believe that's what the ride'll be called but whether you love or hate it I'm not sure it that really matters, as when the first TV adverts roll for Alton Towers's revolutionary new rollercoaster The Smiler, complete with a coherent marketing style and theme... I don't think any member of the public's first thought will be "Oh...what a rubbish name!"

I think it'll all make sense in context* :)

(*apart from to those enthusiasts whose wants could only be satiated by the park closing down :p)

What has everyone been thinking about the theme song? I've been very sad and created an intorduction, which includes the notes
A, G F A G F
--A-----F----
Repeated over and over, increasing in speed each time, and then a big booming center, then slowly getting quieter and repeating my intro, before stopping and repeating

Personally, I imagine this will use a soundscape similar to Swarm as oppose to having an actual song for it. I can't see a song alone fitting it. I think it'll be masked over with some sound effects as well :)

Well I think we can be fairly certain now that SW7 is behind schedule. TowersTimes have just released their first closed season photos and the only noticeable change is a lot more landscaping (although nothing really to report). No track is on the construction site.

I'd link to the pictures but I'm on my Tablet.

Hmmm. Yes but we have been told that them pictures was taken quite a while back. Hence There has been a bit of a argument set on there side of the forums.

Well maybe but they did say earlier today that their pilot was in the air and for the last two weeks they've been apologizing about not being able to go up due to weather.

Honestly I can't see any reason why they'd lie, it only makes them look bad. Plus we know from our own updates that most of the track is still in the car park.

I agree with you. Too be honest it wouldn't put it past me if they did lie just too get us talking.
Enough said from that.

Yeah (if the pictures are from today) it looks very very behind schedule. I'm worried that the ride won't be finished on time. Obviously it most likely will be but theres always that thought that it won't be ready do you agree?

There is no track on site, no idea if TT s pics are from today but if not its still the case the site is track-less today.

Just to clarify for you. The photos are from today.

If you deem it really necessary we can post a raw image file for you conduct an EXIF data check. lol.

Alton really need to step it up, but TBH I think that the helicopter has somthing to do with it.
I can't imagine Merlin being happy with them. Flying around above the workers annoying them.

There's a picture of the EXIF data on their site which says the images were taken today so I guess there's no reason to not believe it.

Regardless, the situation on site doesn't look good. There's nothing happening :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.