• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
A new sign has appeared on the construction boards of SW7!

It is another competition to become the first riders, but no other details have been given.

I would post a picure if I could, but I am unable to.
There are pictures on he internet though.

What could the competition be this time?

Sounds interesting, hopefully it's not for over 16's llike the other competition.

Maybe it's like the Th13teen bootcamp?

From the TowersStreet Facebook page.

406240_365251020212015_1056906231_n.jpg

:)

Interesting how the style of marketing here (very Oblivion-esque) contrasts sharply with the design proposals for the theming of this ride....hmmm...

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Interesting how the style of marketing here (very Oblivion-esque) contrasts sharply with the design proposals for the theming of this ride....hmmm...

I know what you mean. It's even the Oblivion font with the slick chrome and black/orange style yet it seems to clash with the big spider/apocolypse style they seem to be aiming for. ???

Are you surprised? Just remember how many styles Thirteen had and how irrelevant they all were to the final ride. :p

I can see the marketing visual style changing when they dish out the next phase of marketing SW7. :)

Some one else's opinion but a opinion a agree with about SW7's Model and Manufacturer
The park explicitly says it will be based on SAW: The Ride at Thorpe Park and will be the same type (Euro-Fighter) and manufacturer (Gerstlauer). Its also completely reasonable as the layout resembles the recently opened Takabisha. So its safe to assume that Alton Towers is in fact building a Euro-Fighter right?

I think not.

In fact, I’m almost 100% convinced that this absolutely is not a Euro-Fighter. That short and allegedly, “revealing” couple of sentences also state that there will be a beyond vertical drop on the ride, when there obviously isn’t such an element shown in the diagrams. Its understandable why the park would draw the comparison however; Alton Towers is notorious for having incredibly difficult neighbors. Thus saying it will be reminiscent of one of the company’s other coasters allows for easy (and cheap) noise level testing to gather data that will appease the neighbors.

The more I think about it, the less a Euro-Fighter makes sense. Alton Towers is striving for strong growth in the current decade, yet, why would the invest so much in such a low capacity style of coaster? A Euro-Fighter has just 1-train capable of either 6 or 8 passengers. And with no mid-course brake runs like other large-park Euro-Fighters, the capacity of this would suck. And by suck, I’m guessing it wouldn’t exceed 500-600 people per an hour. Not what you want for a high profile ride as this will be.

Then just what exactly is Alton Towers building?

Well to be completely frank, I don’t know. No one does, except for the lucky few who are involved in the design of this future masterpiece. However, with the clues provided, I’ve made some educated guesses as to just what we might see from Alton Towers’ Secret Weapon 7.

DSC_0285-e1325915775186.jpg

The track shown in the diagrams resembles that of Maurer Sohne X-Coasters. Photo of Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Universal Studios Florida

Far too often, concept art is in no way based on the final product. The artist typically is not fully aware of what the track looks like, and even if they are, they skew the perception of the real thing by adding their own “artistic flavor”. However, these planning documents and their schematics of the rides are very accurate.

Taking a look back at The Swarm’s plans, B&M’s signature box track can obviously be made out in the diagrams. The track in SW7′s plans is not B&M, and is most definitely not Gerstlauer’s 3-spine track used on Euro-Fighters. Instead, the track most resembles that of Maurer Sohne’s X-Coaster (as shown above of Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit).

An X-Coaster system actually makes the most sense with the layout. X-Coasters are known to have twisted layouts, such as the one shown, and also have a much higher capacity than Euro-Fighters; while they have only been built with 1-2 cars per train so far, Mauerer Sohne advertises that they can accompany up to 3-cars per a train, making for 18-passengers. 3-cars per a train would make plenty of sense considering the long stretches of track between blocks.

HRRRSW7-e1325918050719.png

The vertical track section for SW7 is reminiscent of Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit's. Source of diagram: publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk

The most illusive aspect of the ride is the vertical track section. All that is really known is that this section is that the coaster goes up this segment, and not down it. Luckily, the diagrams also give a detailed look at the support system for this vertical section. And supporting the track claim, the support structure exactly matches that of Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, and look nothing like the euroFighter vertical supports.

Another one of the wild rumors about SW7 before these plans were released was that it would be a launch coaster. This actually proved to be another big aspect fueling the Euro-Fighter fire; Takabisha has both a launched section and vertical lift, as shown in SW7. Yet all other evidence points to Maurer Sohne coaster, with a Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit style vertical lift. And the initial incline segment at the beginning of the ride certainly does not look like a launch either. So the whole launch rumor is bogus, right?

Not so fast. Alton Towers’ Secret Weapons have a history of being “firsts” for either Europe or the world. Nemesis (SW3) was Europe’s first inverted coaster, Oblivion (SW4) was the world’s first dive machine, AIR (SW5) was the world’s first flying coaster, and Th13teen (SW6) was the world’s first vertical drop coaster. So it makes sense that SW7 would have some noteworthy and gimmicky fact about it as well.

A Zierer vertical launch coaster was once planned for Alton Towers. Could SW7 feature one? Source: Mandi Coleman on Flickr.

814307950_01aba7b0e8_o1.jpg

RCTLounge member ‘DJMean‘ pointed out that one of the old SW6 concepts was a Zierer tower launch coaster. For those unfamiliar with the model, it is reminiscent of a Euro-Fighter (go figure), with a vertical LSM launch, simulating a space-shuttle like take off.

Which made me wonder, what happens if the they dusted off the old vertical launch concept? After all, it would be a first (only one Tower launch exists in the world) making it a likely candidate for a Secret Weapon. However, its obvious that this isn’t a Zierer Launch Tower coaster either. So could it be a vertical launch?

Launch_small.jpg

Maurer Sohne's concept art for the advertised vertical launch SkyLoop Source: www.maurer-rides.com

Coincidentally, Maurer Sohne actually does make vertical launch coasters, or at least advertises that they are capable of doing so. The manufacturer states that they are capable of building a 1-g, 27 mph, 151 foot vertical launch. And with SW7 standing at just 100 feet, these statistics more than meet the qualifications. While they are only shown for the SkyLoop model, I see no reason why it couldn’t be used on a more standard X-Coaster.

I’m no engineer or smart university student but the transition from the long straight away to the vertical bit does not look passenger friendly if it was taken immediately after a launch. Instead, I would guess that it is actual a 2-block brake run. 1 block slowing the coaster down, the other a waiting section before slowly going up the transition vertical and then launching towards the sky. Sounds like the icing on this glorious cake to me.

So to conclude, here is my prediction for Secret Weapon 7:
•A Maurer Sohne X-Coaster
•3, 6 passenger X-Cars per train
•8-9 inversions
•Begins with a standard incline lift hill
•Europe’s first vertical launch coaster

What an awfully long and drawn out post, when the above bullet points outline the entire purpose of this write-up. However, I know there will be a lot of nay-sayers and I just wanted to lay down the evidence. None the less, I am very excited to see Alton Towers obviously putting so much thought and effort into what looks to be an amazing secret weapon, especially after the incredibly disappointing Secret Weapon 6. With construction not scheduled to begin until September 2012, it may be a long time before we get all the details on the new attraction, but at least we have an idea of what to expect

artist_impression_big.jpg

THIS IS A ARTIST'S IMPRESSION NOT THE REAL THING

http://parkthoughts.com/2012/01/07/alton-towers-secret-weapon-7-revealed/

While I admire the huge effort you've put into writing that post, Scott. SW7 is 100% a Gerstlauer. Whether it will be a Eurofighter or not still remains a mystery.

The representation of the plans of the roller-coaster are based on a No-Limits creation of the ride, Jarad i believe proved that the No-Limits exporter to create 3DS models from no-limits tracks turns Euro-Fighter track into the track style that it looks like on the plans.

Essentially expect standard Euro-Fighter track when it arrives at Towers, we know it's 100% a Gerstauer.

So does that mean (very much on the tip of a wing here), it could even be a woodie?
Looking it up, Gerstlauer do produce them.

Of course i'm 99% sure it's a steel coaster though.

Edit: Just remembered the inversions, scratch that. :-[

Just my opinion,I do agree it is very likely to be a Gerstauer but I do believe it may be Alton Towers trickery playing with our minds, if it is a eurofighter capacity needs to be sorted

Adam James said:
So does that mean (very much on the tip of a wing here), it could even be a woodie?
Looking it up, Gerstlauer do produce them.

Of course, with there being inversions, i'm 100% sure it's a steel coaster though. :)

Ha Ha Ha impossible but would be a real shocker ;-)

It was a discussion had when the plans first came out Scott so your no alone in the assumptions you came to. It's just some extra info has come about that seems to suggest its standard EF track.

Though i agree that this wont be the same as Saw from a train point of view, i can see it being adapted primarily due to the need to increase throughputs.

Scott.Smith said:
I’m almost 100% convinced that this absolutely is not a Euro-Fighter. That short and allegedly, “revealing” couple of sentences also state that there will be a beyond vertical drop on the ride, when there obviously isn’t such an element shown in the diagrams.

I believe that the beyond vertical drop statement was aimed at Saw The Ride in that sentence, so saying too the planners "This ride has a beyond vertical drop and is still not noisy so our ride SW7 will not be noisy" :)

Don't think it was intended to be purported as his own post, although it didn't include credit to the site. Still, I wouldn't have found that had I not read this so it was useful in any case :)

The Psychoaster said:
Don't think it was intended to be purported as his own post, although it didn't include credit to the site. Still, I wouldn't have found that had I not read this so it was useful in any case :)

Did you actually read the post??

"My opinion about SW7's Model and Manufacturer" is even in bold and is an addition to the article, plus the no credit issue....plagiarism

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.