• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
In a Tweet from Alton, they said March 16th is still the opening date.
However, I highly doubt that they would publicise the fact that opening may be delayed.

We'll have to wait and see.
If most of the track isn't finished by the start of January, it wont be ready!

I haven't half read some sensationalist, over stressed rubbish around the web re SW7 tonight!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Longy said:
In a Tweet from Alton, they said March 16th is still the opening date.
However, I highly doubt that they would publicise the fact that opening may be delayed.

We'll have to wait and see.
If most of the track isn't finished by the start of January, it wont be ready!

I find it interesting that in that Tweet they said that the "current" opening date is still March 16h. Now it could be me looking into things way too much but "current" suggests it could be subject to change in the future.

And now for some wild speculation. Say it isn't ready for March 16th. What happens? Does the whole park opening get pushed back? Probably not. Does X-Sector open with Blivvy/Submission/Enterprise? Depends on the state of construction and potential links with SW7 in the rest of the area I guess. It's an interesting thought. Hopefully it doesn't come down to this but seeing as I'm bored I thought why not speculate!

:)

As said the in resort talk is they will meet the 16th of March but they obviously know how damn close to the nail it, is so they will be edging their bets.

I'd imagine it's 50/50 now as to whether they can get it in a state so that it can open on time. If things go well, there are no issues and they up the rate of construction then they may just about be ok. However one setback and that could ruin all of that, I willing to say any major setback now will mean the ride will either open late or it will be a poor excuse for a themed ride if it was to open on time. They must be praying that the winter isn't overly harsh.

Let's look at the positives. If you industry and construction experts are correct, you can have two great days early next season. One for the opening day of the new season, then another one for the opening of SW7. What's not to like? double the fun ;)

On the other hand, I feel a minority of people would like it to open on time but only 95% complete so that they could give it a good internet bashing.

It will be ready when it's ready.

A Eurofighter is a glorified fairground coaster. The whole thing is very prefab and even the supports get fixed straight into the concrete instead of complex pinning. A fairly large fairground coaster can be constructed with a fairly small team within 16 days. So assuming they have the footings in place, the coaster can be put up within just a few weeks before opening leaving a couple of weeks for testing.

BigDave said:
A Eurofighter is a glorified fairground coaster. The whole thing is very prefab and even the supports get fixed straight into the concrete instead of complex pinning. A fairly large fairground coaster can be constructed with a fairly small team within 16 days. So assuming they have the footings in place, the coaster can be put up within just a few weeks before opening leaving a couple of weeks for testing.

Yes it can probably go up quickly, and it needs to! I think because of the scale and complexities with this coaster that it will take longer top put up than your bog standard Eurofighter but it should still go up relatively quickly. But there is so much more to SW7 than the track. They need to build a large station building, install one very large theming object and other smaller ones, landscape the area and build paths, and do all sorts of electrical work and so on relating to the buildings and potentially theming. It just seems like so much to do in such a short space of time.

One thing that should be on their side is that I would imagine the vast majority of the theming is being built away from the construction site and it will just be a matter of lifting it into place and joining it all up. Hopefully this is something that won't take too long.

DiogoJ42 said:
If it's complete in time for the start of the season... I will eat my pirate hat ;)

Don't trust him! Diogo said he'll eat his hat if the new attraction for 2012 had anything to do with Nemesis! He's the father of lies, the keeper of tricks!

EDIT: After much boredom I have discovered the offending post.

Diogo, if you want to go down this road again, you need to pick a different hat.

QCuy2.png

Also does this mean due to sods law and fates insistence on wanting Diogo to eat hats, the ride will be opened on time just to spite Diogo?

Aha, but let's not forget; Diogo said 'completed'. Which to me is a completely different kettle of fish to 'opened'. ;)

I see SW7 as another Swarm or Sub-Terra project combined. It will open on time but with hardly any effects or themeing. They will either add said themeing throughout the year or close it like Sub-Terra and re-launch in the Summer.

Re: Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

siralgenon said:
I see SW7 as another Swarm or Sub-Terra project combined. It will open on time but with hardly any effects or themeing. They will either add said themeing throughout the year or close it like Sub-Terra and re-launch in the Summer.

You make it sound swarm opened with hardly any theming or effects... They only really added an ambulance, which wasn't on the initial plans I might add!

The fire was only added later because it was implemented poorly and wasn't safe to use at the beginning of the season.

Not exactly a good example in my opinion of what you were coming across.

Sub Terra only was revised because it was terrible initially, if it didn't get all the negativity, I doubt they would have revised it, so I doubt they planned to do any of that... Just bad planning, which seems exactly what they are doing here... Bad planning.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse any ridiculous mistakes!

Most of the theming is likely similar to Swarm in that it will be constructed off site then fixed in place, the building will be steal clad like Th13teens was which doesn't take long then pre-made themed panels added to the outside of this and I imagine the inside theming will be similar.

What they will struggle to get done on time is the queue, as its all outside and needs setting concrete which is a bugger to do in sub-zero temperatures. The ride itself should be ready to roll as i doubt despite rumour that there is any trick track to test.

I still think this will be nail-bitingly close, my one glimmer of hope is that if it does open with a few minor theming objects missing that Merlin have proved with Swarm and Kraken that they will go back and add them over the coming months.

Concrete is slightly exothermic (gives out heat for a bit when mixed) but soon the cement cools off, the outside will set but ultimately the concrete will not dry as even if the air temperature rises it takes hours for the concrete to reach this temperature. Thus if the temperature overnight is below zero the concrete will hold this temperature for most of the day.

I think this is all just a huge conspiracy and in fact SW7 is finished. The secret element is actually 'worlds first premature roller-coaster'.

Giggity.

JayTricky said:
I think this is all just a huge conspiracy and in fact SW7 is finished. The secret element is actually 'worlds first premature roller-coaster'.

Giggity.
Alternatively, it's the world's first DIY rollercoaster... The more you build, the more you get off your admission price! ;)

Hopefully, with the apparent delays with landscaping and concrete, the track and themeing teams have had time to collect everything they need together and will put it up like a pit-stop crew.

Maybe a little off topic, but not much seems to be happening in terms of actual construction so I thought I'd share a funny little error in one of the planning documents for SW7:

8250363882_bdc043219b.jpg

I for one don't remember it being called Sonic Screwball? ;)

They seem to get that name wrong on virtually every application they submit! I'd be surprised if they even got it right on the original Tussauds planning applications :p

I've been thinking more on the construction though. I hope to god Gerst have gotten this ride all completed perfectly with no issues. This is arguably one of their largest projects to date. All it's going to take is one defect, or piece damaged, and the whole ride is shafted. It does happen, and companies do sometimes get it wrong (Even B&M on occasion). Fingers crossed they don't hit any issues...

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.