• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I heard the Halo theory last year, and instantly dismissed it as an idea so stupid even M£rlin wouldn't go there.

I think it's certainly possible to build the coaster, and have a station in 4 months. Just not when you're working December to March! If they were building it this in the summer then the ride could easily spring up in 4 months. But when you throw snow, ice, and frost into the mix all of a sudden it's a whole new kettle of fish.

Hopefully the ride isn't going to be late, though at the same time if on opening day the ride is going to be a shambles like Sub-Terra I'd much rather they leave it for another 2-3 weeks or so and really make it something special when it opens.

The Halo theory wasn't one I was very keen on, if I'm honest. Despite having never played any of the games, I was quite sceptical as to how theming a ride to a video game would work, and I think that the current Ministry of Joy idea is much better.

Tim said:
I've just remembered something Adz over at TTF mentioned a few days back that might be worth discussing. Apparently during its early development SW7 was destined to be themed to Halo!

The idea was scrapped when the current theme took over so there's no need to worry about it still happening but I was curious what everyone's thoughts were about this?

Me personally although I really like the Halo franchise I don't think it would have fit at Alton, especially not X-Sector. I'm not too keen on a Secret Weapon having an IP either as the whole point of a SW ride is for it to be something unique to Alton Towers and I feel that should apply to the narrative just as much as the concept.

As much as I love the Halo franchise as a whole, I would have jumped from the Towers had the ride taken this on as the final theme. It would have completely ruined X Sector unless the whole area had a re theme [and Merlin would have never been able to live up to the standards].

Halo is a great IP, but would have been too damaging to X-Sector's theme. No doubt that is one reason why they decided not to go ahead with it. I'd rather see them expand the X-Sector theme personally so I'm glad they never went down the IP route.

Another reason I would guess they didn't go for it too is because it could potentially narrow down the target market too much. It would certainly bring Halo fans in, but may initially not interest those who do not play the game or are not interested in the franchise. That would be very damaging to the thrill market this is targeted at. Having a 'generic' theme will attract guests across the board.

I think Alton Towers remembered that they don't need IP's for their major coasters.

They didn't get 3million guests through in 2010 because of an IP.

The park name and "major new rollercoaster" alone, sells more than any other park in the UK. Alton Towers' rollercoasters become IP's in their own right!

It's getting to the stage where I almost want them to come out and say that SW7 will not be opening until let's say April 13th. I think I would rather them take a bit more time and get the job done properly rather than rush to get it finished on time meaning quality and details may be missing. I don't think they will do this though unless something goes very badly wrong.

Of course we don't know how far behind schedule they are, but I think it's fair to say they are further behind than they would want to be considering the winters we get. Now I may be being a little harsh on them here but in my opinion they only have themselves to blame. Mark Kerrigan admitted at the TT@10 event that one thing they need to improve on is planning projects further in advance, and this flaw has come back to bite them again with SW7. They will probably never admit it but this version of SW7 we are getting was planned very late on, hence no detailed plans for the building or theming when the plans were submitted. But they then should have got a move on faster than they did once planning permission was gained. It got approval on March 21st, within a week of this they should have started taking down the Black Hole tent. As soon as the tend had been demolished they should have started some basic groundwork. Neither of these things happened, they were slow doing both. Of course we don't know why, there may well be reasons, but I feel that if they had acted faster initially then they wouldn't be in the position they probably are in now.

All you need to do is take a look at other projects to see how badly this is going or has gone. Disneyland Paris for example. Their new Ratatouille ride opens in 2014 yet I'd argue it is further along in it's construction than SW7. Admittedly it is a big Disney ride but the difference in timings in staggering. Even Gate Keeper at Cedar Point. RCDB says it is due to open in May 2013, two months later than SW7. Yet even it's construction appears to further along with the lift hill already built, and that coaster won't be having anything like the amount of theming SW7 will be.

Rant over for now. I hope all that what I've said turns out to be irrelevant come March 16th.

:)

AstroDan said:
I think Alton Towers remembered that they don't need IP's for their major coasters.

The park name and "major new rollercoaster" alone, sells more than any other park in the UK. Alton Towers' rollercoasters become IP's in their own right!
So true Dan, couldn't have put it better myself.

Sometimes it concerns me that Alton's brand is so strong that they can make certain cuts for example and people will still come. But then I remember it lets them experiment with their own ideas and occasionally take risks such as Sub-Terra and Air.

Regarding construction, Alton Towers will do everything in their power to get it open by March. Even if it means half the theming is missing, paths aren't fully laid, paint is soaking wet etc.. they will still open the ride. Their priority will just be to get the hardware ready by March. Everything else will just follow on.

Which is a shame as I feel people don't get the full experience, their full moneys worth when they visit a ride that just has the hardware working fully - not the extras.

Just had a look at my weather for Alton, apparently it's starting to snow early tomorrow morning, could be further delay's in construction.

They could get desperate and call in towers geeks to help the process along

Oh joy!

If the ride opens in March I hope you all enjoy having to push the train up the lift hill yourselves.

AstroDan said:

Exactly Dan! Alton does not need headline IP attractions. The park's name, brand, and reputation alone is enough to market the ride to at least the UK market.

If anything Alton almost created an IP with one of their rides (Nemesis)! Just look at all the spinoff merch, ideas, and even attractions it's led to. The power of Alton's reach is enough for it to make brands itself if you ask me.

However, most of that is irrelivant without a solid idea and creativity in the first place if you ask me.

TT are reporting that Towers have been moving track from the car parks to the construction site today. If this is true, then about time!! This also gives me hope that some track may already be up, as I have a feeling some track for the indoor section was delivered direct to the site.

:)

No time like the present! :D

As much as I stuck up for Towers and Merlin earlier on in the year, the general lack of progress since end of season has really concerned me! So if this is true, and I really hope it is, it couldn't have come sooner.

Dave said:
Gerst where back this week so it seems likely tracks finally going up
I was going to say good but they should have had it up by know hopefully we will see some major progress :)

Looking forward to hearing (and seeing) what's going to happen over the next few days. I predict an influx of excitement within the next week or so!

P.S - Hello everyone on TST. :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.