• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
That's how most construction sites look, isn't it? I'm sure it was just the same for Thirteen and Saw, and (though not a ride) I know it's precisely the same for the new Reading Station building...

Construction sites are by definition messy, that's how they work. And the bit of the BH tent remaining was part of the maintenance area and had the rides power supply point which they are using for construction equipment until the sub station is sorted I believe

It may also work as a simple reference point.

Looking interesting thus far, cant wait to see the building take shape, just to get a sense of scale to this project!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I can definitely visualize the ride easier now! (Don't ask how, that's just the way my mind works!)
I wonder if they'll dig up any dinosaurs from 1983. :p

(My dad says he feels old now as he was in the park as a teenager when the Black hole was Being built, or something like that.)

Any way, I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing track near/on the site at some point. :eek:

Sam said:
The site looks a bit, well, messy? Given that construction is such an exact procedure, the various bits and bobs strewn all over the site makes it look a bit chaotic. :/

It may be due to me having experience of works sites, but i was thinking the opposite. That material and site management was very good. Stuff needs to be stored, and most site do it around the site if space is limited. The materials are stored in neat blocks, the site is clear of spoil and waste.

This is probably not relevant but 1) how do rebars work? Surely the concrete when poured in would just, well, fall out and 2) how the hell do those builders know exactly where to dig etc. I know there are plans measured inch perfect but when they are digging something how do they know how far they have dug and which lines to follow, surely there are errors?

They, like most builders, will have extremely detailed plans for the job they need to do. They do multiple measurements and they get it right 99.9% of the time. Thats not to say errors don't occur!

As for rebars, they strengthen the concrete. They still need to put wooden boxes around them to keep the wet concrete in as you said, but they remove the wood when the concrete is dry leaving just the rebar and concrete structure.

Measuring out where they dig is an extremly delicate and precise task on any construction project. The construction teams are provided with highly detailed plans, precise to the millimetre. On a lot of sites these days they use laser alignment and other such tools to pick out the precise points. They will then mark these and begin digging and piling for foundations.

Rebar is used in most large concrete products. It isn't used to cast the cement or anything like that, but instead strengthens the solid cement, hence its name Reinforcing Bar. Normally, builders will dig a hole, they will then place rebar inside the hole, in the middle. They will then pour the cement into the hole and cover the rebar. It's then left to set inside the cement.

footer_overview.jpg

You can see it here. Eventually that hole will probably all be filled with cement, and the rebar left inside it. Welding it into boxes and cubes is a useful way to save time when adding rebar, as they can just drop on large piece in and fill. Alternativly they can layer the rebar in sheets while they pour like so:

rebar.jpg

But this takes much longer as it means they have to cut the bar, pour a bit of cement, place a sheet in, pour some more, place a sheet, pour a bit, you get the idea :p

Some snaps from today
Hole is a tad deeper
P1010866.jpg

View up at the supports taken from the lower gate
P1010876.jpg

Zoom out of that shot
P1010881.jpg

View up to the top areal
P1010882.jpg

Closeup of the hole linings
P1010883.jpg

The above pictures were taken from the gate and this area here, which has now been fenced off due to a kid getting his foot stuck between the fence and one of the boulders (so I am informed)
P1010886.jpg

Taken from the coke station you can see the area at the back of the site that has been cleared for the cabling to the sub station and the new cables across it.
P1010890.jpg

Water is running down the side of the hole from the sub station area. Obviously they weren't content with the previous method of filling the hole with water
P1010893.jpg

Overview from the top with the metalwork you have all seen
P1010899.jpg

mounds of pebbles have been delivered as well as the metal work
P1010901.jpg

Interestingly some friends (members on this very forum) are at plopsaland today and have ridden the Gerstlaeur coaster Anubis. I respect their opinions and they seem to be reviewing it very highly. Gerst seem to have a bad rep in this country because of Saw and i know there has been worry since it was announced SW7 was a Gerst but i think it's promising this and many other of their coasters get good reviews.

Dave said:
Interestingly some friends (members on this very forum) are at plopsaland today and have ridden the Gerstlaeur coaster Anubis. I respect their opinions and they seem to be reviewing it very highly. Gerst seem to have a bad rep in this country because of Saw and i know there has been worry since it was announced SW7 was a Gerst but i think it's promising this and many other of their coasters get good reviews.

Those of us that went to Hansa-Park last year, and those of us that have been to Oakwood have also been saying that Novgorod and Speed are equally great coasters. In Europe, there are many great coasters from them - including their Bobsled model.

Lynet is meant to be good, too.

There is nothing wrong with Gerstlauer coasters for the most part. Saw has a bad join at the bottom of the first drop, and the ride just seems to be very jerky compared to others.

:)

Indeed Speed is great but with only having ridden Speed and Saw it was a question of do we have a 50/50 chance of good, but it seems Saw really is the bad egg.

Their bobsled is better than just about any other type of ride like it. I'm working on a review of the Tripsdrill's one now but just go and read the report on Roller Coaster Philosophy if you want to know why (would link but on my tablet).

But as I've said before I'm not the biggest fan of trains with only 1 or 2 carts so I'm slightly uncertain how I'll rank this to the likes of the other SWs.

Tim said:
Their bobsled is better than just about any other type of ride like it. I'm working on a review of the Tripsdrill's one now but just go and read the report on Roller Coaster Philosophy if you want to know why (would link but on my tablet).

But as I've said before I'm not the biggest fan of trains with only 1 or 2 carts so I'm slightly uncertain how I'll rank this to the likes of the other SWs.

Thing is, the SW's are so diverse... in terms of my "coaster rankings", only one of them is really high up - that's Nemesis. Oblivion is good at its job. Air I find just a little too plain, lacking the theming to make it into anything truly remarkable, and Th13teen is again, good at being a family ride with something special, but not good at being a true SW.

Speaking of the Bobsleds, Heisse Fahrt was a good little coaster - although it seemed to need to warm up to really deliver. Van Helsing's Factory on the other hand was a great little ride, with super theming too!

:D

Sorry I abbreviated too much because I was on my tablet. I didn't really mean SW, more that I'm just not as keen on rides with really small trains and haven't found one yet that's truly "World Class". Gerstlauer have certainly made some great rides but as much praise as I wanted to give G'sengte Sau I had to admit that as a Bobsled there was only so much enjoyment I could get from it. I believe the same applies for Euro-Fighters but as I've only ridden one I can't say for sure.

iSpeed and Maverick are top class and small trains.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

AstroDan said:
iSpeed and Maverick are top class and small trains.

As I said two posts above I'm talking about trains with only 1 or 2 carts ;)
That's a little bit smaller.

Well I would say Fluch von Novgorod is a top class experience, although admittedly, the theming gives it a big bonus.

Mystery Mine looks great, too!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.