• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Nick said:
JB1985 said:
Nick said:
JB1985 said:
And er Nick, no offence like but what else did you really expect from a trick track element? Most if not all of us could have guessed this

A gimmick.

It is clear that the inclusion of lap-bars will completely make or break this ride. Another thing, I wonder if the rotations will be one way or two. If there's going to be the duelling aspect that's suggested by Al (and possibly in the logo), then turning one way, then quickly the other (as the other car is coming closer) would enhance the experience. If it's 14 inversions, then that'll mean three for each car going one way. Also, will this not mean that the throughput will increase with an extra two cars, possibly, on the track?

See now what you have put above is exactly what I can see happening. That would be a great experience back up by a quality coaster layout - should put AT on the map again. They really cant afford to blow this as its getting better with each snippet of info that comes out

It would be IF done correctly. With lap-bars, some effects, duelling and the inversions at the right speed, this COULD be good. Wether it'll bring in the crowds that Nemesis brought in, almost certainly no, but should bring in a few more people.

Agreed - Personally it could be the best coaster since Nemesis - and dare I say it, maybe become as Iconic? The downside is we know Merlin and the budget cuts they enforce along with their half arsed attitude towards the finer details means this is likely to be another 'it could have been epic but has failed' type ride.

Here's hoping hey

Echoing others thoughts, the possible inclusion of this trick track does make me worry about maintenance and throughput. Just look at 13's downtime when it opened... Regardless, I believe that SW7 will be a huge hit because of the impressive track layout as shown on the plans. I think it will pull large crowds - the swarm and Saw: the ride seemed successful enough with the public even though enthusiasts can pick holes in them easily!

Amusingly, this ride appears to be lining up as the direct opposite of 13 - a great coaster section with a "trick track" shoehorned in, as opposed to 13 that was built around the drop section

rightbackgranty said:
Echoing others thoughts, the possible inclusion of this trick track does make me worry about maintenance and throughput. Just look at 13's downtime when it opened... Regardless, I believe that SW7 will be a huge hit because of the impressive track layout as shown on the plans. I think it will pull large crowds - the swarm and Saw: the ride seemed successful enough with the public even though enthusiasts can pick holes in them easily!

Amusingly, this ride appears to be lining up as the direct opposite of 13 - a great coaster section with a "trick track" shoehorned in, as opposed to 13 that was built around the drop section

I guess when they designed this (although I still dont believe its the true SW7) they would have learnt from 13's mistakes. After all it was Merlin's first crack and an SW ride so hopefully they can pull this off

JB1985 said:
Agreed - Personally it could be the best coaster since Nemesis

Don't push it; since Air, maybe.

Still thinking about the theme though. What will these inversions bring to the ride's theming? Will definitely be very sinister, looking at the theming objects previously shown.

JB1985 said:
Nick said:
JB1985 said:
Nick said:
JB1985 said:
And er Nick, no offence like but what else did you really expect from a trick track element? Most if not all of us could have guessed this

A gimmick.

It is clear that the inclusion of lap-bars will completely make or break this ride. Another thing, I wonder if the rotations will be one way or two. If there's going to be the duelling aspect that's suggested by Al (and possibly in the logo), then turning one way, then quickly the other (as the other car is coming closer) would enhance the experience. If it's 14 inversions, then that'll mean three for each car going one way. Also, will this not mean that the throughput will increase with an extra two cars, possibly, on the track?

See now what you have put above is exactly what I can see happening. That would be a great experience back up by a quality coaster layout - should put AT on the map again. They really cant afford to blow this as its getting better with each snippet of info that comes out

It would be IF done correctly. With lap-bars, some effects, duelling and the inversions at the right speed, this COULD be good. Wether it'll bring in the crowds that Nemesis brought in, almost certainly no, but should bring in a few more people.

Agreed - Personally it could be the best coaster since Nemesis - and dare I say it, maybe become as Iconic? The downside is we know Merlin and the budget cuts they enforce along with their half arsed attitude towards the finer details means this is likely to be another 'it could have been epic but has failed' type ride.

Here's hoping hey

I'm not so sure. A load of inversions doesn't make a ride good *looks at Colossus*. :p

LordOfDarkness said:
If this is true I seriously do worry about the throughput and maintenance of this ride.

I'm so glad I'm not the only person feeling this way. Am I right in thinking trick track's with an actual physical movement of the track rather than just being banked slightly can be fairly unreliable? I'd hate to see a Saw style opening day ???

BigAl said:
JB1985 said:
Nick said:
JB1985 said:
Nick said:
JB1985 said:

A gimmick.

Here's hoping hey

I'm not so sure. A load of inversions doesn't make a ride good *looks at Colossus*. :p

Very true but I get the impression that there is more to this than the inversions - I think (as Nick has just stated) we could get some very sinister mind twisting themeing which will complete the ride. The face logo says so much for me

Fredward said:
after some thought... if this is true and
rotated more then twice
then this will be just terrible...

I wonder if, to maintain the "symmetry" of the ride, that there will be 2 such sections - one at the beginning and one at the end. Others have suggested it, and I think it would be the best way to keep the ride balanced. That said, 2 high tech sections means twice the risk of downtime...

More inversions does not make a better ride, that is quite clear. However, a well theme trick track section with ample lighting, effects and sound could combine the best features of hex with a coaster. The slight disappointment I experienced with 13 however, makes me quietly pessimistic as to whether it will be pulled off effectively.

I do think an out and out rollercoaster would be best for the park, but the upper management like to push the boundaries.

I forgot to mention there was another bit of info that hasn't been mentioned:

Apparently this will use regular Euro-Fighter carts... Yay for 864pph throughput!

Lets just hope by standard they mean it doesn't do anything clever rather than it will only have 8 or even worse 6 seats.

Didnt Alton once say they would never chase the highest, longest, most inversions etc as it will always be beaten?

rightbackgranty said:
I do think an out and back wooden rollercoaster would be best for the park

Fixed. :)

After a quick look of the most recent plans: (http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/upload/PublicAccess/REV%20station%20plan%20&%20elev%20(39854).pdf) it is difficult to think of how this is going to work.

The track's entrance and exit are not above or next to each other, which makes me think that this may not have two of the sections. The plan view from the top also shows a straight track, which probably means that (unless they've been allowed to hide the element) that there's only one. If so, that will be very uncomfortable.

rightbackgranty said:
I do think an out and out rollercoaster would be best for the park, but the upper management like to push the boundaries.
It's a pity that they don't see this. Their best coaster relies on no gimmicks and didn't attempt to smash any records. It's the same for Cedar Point's Maverick. Like Nemesis, Maverick doesn't try to break any records but it's probably their best all-round coaster. A shame that neither Alton Towers or Cedar Point recognise this. The money that Alton put in to developing such gimmicks might be better spent on other areas of a SW project.

Tim said:

Apparently this will use regular Euro-Fighter carts... Yay for 864pph throughput!

Lets just hope by standard they mean it doesn't do anything clever rather than it will only have 8 or even worse 6 seats.

Oh dear... :(

I myself am taking this with a carefully measured amount of salt, some aspects just don't ring-true to me. But its an interesting idea at the very least

:)

This much salt.

large-salt-pile.jpg

For me anyway.

Tim said:

ah crap

I think this 'news' is complete hogwash. Why are so many people giving credence to it?

I want evidence, not hearsay and until any is produced that backs these wild claims, it can not be regarded as anything other than mere speculation and rumour.

If this rolling track track section is going to be the secret element, I can see it happening in a "correction chamber" either at the beginning or end of the course maybe incorporating the hypnotic logo. This could work quite nicely with the theme and with multiple spins, produce a really unsettling feeling.

Realistically, I think that Alton only has to beat Colossus' inversion count as Guinness are about the only people who count Ejanaika's record. you only need to watch the ride through its course to see that it simply doesn't invert 14 times.

Nick said:
rightbackgranty said:
I do think an out and back wooden rollercoaster would be best for the park

Fixed. :)

Haha, very true! Whilst I'd love a wooden coaster, I strongly believe the chance of that happening at Alton Towers in the next 10 years is close to nil =/ A multi-invert coaster, the first in 10 years, would keep me more than happy for now! I was one of many that got too carried away when 13 was being built, being adamant that we were going to see a tilting track with superb effects - I'm trying not to get my hopes up this time!

Must say that you do have to take the claim with a pinch of salt - though with Merlin's eagerness to be the BETA test for a lot of new technology I wouldn't be surpised!

That said, the hole that has been dug for the ride is far larger than anything I would have expected. I looked earlier and thought to myself - imagine if it was all cut and cover, with the track portion all being "above" ground. There would be enough room under there for another coaster altogether! Do away with the trick section and add 3-4 quick inline rolls and you've got the 11 inversions needed to at least equal the record!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.