• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Selected rides opening from 11:00am - Reversed

Re: Selected rides opening from 11:00am

But it's a deal of the queues are open into the closing time, and not the rides. Therefore, if the queue is 30 minutes past closing time, then surely the monorail will need to remain open to compensate. It really depends on how busy they park is, as this dictates most of the parks operations.

Selected rides opening from 11:00am

AstroDan said:
In recent years, the Monorail has simply remained open with demand. If it has been 1 hour after ride close, and there have still been lots of people around Towers Street, it has stayed open.
Aye yeah I know that, but I meant this season with the steady cuts and the very precise times - would they simply not let anyone on past the time? I wouldn't be surprised...

That really is quite depressing to see. They could have at least moved the kiosks so that they were out of site, surely? Reminds me of some dilapidated high-street where everything is boarded up apart from the odd one or two stores. :/

Edit: Aw, oblivious! You've edited your comment and moved it in front of my response. :p

I think you can kind of get away with the smaller places being closed, as they often are on quiet days anyway, but places like spinball noodles and the Rita shop just look horrible with their shutters down all day long. I wonder if any of the signage will be removed, if they have no plans to open spinball noodles they mights as well remove all menus and things.

You can rest assured that the shutters will soon have annual pass and second only to Disney livery on them soon.

I really don't understand why this is a big deal.

One thread talks about how much money needs to be spent on the monorail stations, in this one people want Varney's head on a pole for closing kiosks that are not making money.

Rick said:
I really don't understand why this is a big deal.

One thread talks about how much money needs to be spent on the monorail stations, in this one people want Varney's head on a pole for closing kiosks that are not making money.

Exactly, it's not the easiest solution but it's the most cost effective. People are complaining about it looking bad that the shutters are closed, but I'd rather that than seeing staff employed in kiosks which nobody visits or buys anything from all day anyway. They have tellingly closed the kiosks which sell more obscure theme park foods - pancakes and noodles. People will more readily want cookies, ice-cream, chocolate bars or crisps - all things available from the countless other outlets around the park.

If you read it properly, you'll find it isn't so much about the kiosks. It's the late openings of major attractions that is the main frustration.

Just a quick note to say that all these cuts have very real implications on jobs and staff pay. They're lucky they don't have a union to contend with.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Indeed Dan. You would think during the recession we're in, that Merlin may have had to lay some people off though. However, just before the summer holidays- which is the most popular time- you would think that a high staff would be key for the smooth running of the park. Maybe this will lead to less full-time workers at AT, but more part-time (or they part-time workers could just be doing the holidays, as they are off from school).

Chances are Merlin would not recognise a union so wouldn't matter

Wonder what would happen if the staff tried to form a union? I wouldn't put it past M£rlin to get all Dickensian on their asses and fire the lot of them for daring to want rights.

The issue with unions and theme parks is that nearly all staff will be on a temporary 0 hour contract... results in very limited rights as an employee.

It's a real kicker for the staff

I guess as well that as the majority of staff are so young, they probably have less idea of their rights, and are just happy to have a job in the first place, and don't want to rock the boat. Of course, M£rlin take advantage of this...

I'm not sure it's an advantage thing, theme parks have always been notorious for poor employee rights due to the seasonal nature of the contracts, in-fact although i am not going to say Towers are the best employee's of the year they have often been the better of the theme-parks to work for.

These cuts will affect staff though so as much as i hate the guest impact i really despair for the staff who are losing hours :(

As controversial as this is I can't see it being permanent.

Also-first post! (Am I allowed to be on this forum ;) )

Just got back from a trip to the park, my first since these changes. One of the main things that stood out to me about my day was how these operational changes can have a huge effect on those who don't have annual passes or can only visit very occasionally.

Take today as an example, we arrived at about 9am, enjoyed some early ride time on Nemesis, Runaway Mine Train and then 10am arrived. One half of our group had to split up because Air wasn't open till 11, and there was nothing (The people in my group weren't too keen on thrills or the dark, so Blade, Ripsaw and Duel were out of the question) for them to ride close by. I know this seems like a bit of a very specific winge, but with no sky ride till 11am either it meant a very long walk to the other side of the park. It meant more time walking and less time to spend on rides, a shame really, it meant that areas we visited were 'half done'- ridden Nemesis, but having to go back for Air.

I saw a lot of disappointed faces and regardless of the fact that the queue time boards were letting people know in advance, it was still very sad to see people turned away from Air et al. I personally have been four times so far (Annual pass whore I'm afraid) so I wasn't too fussed about riding everything, but others in my group wanted to get on as much as they could, and these operation times really don't help.

It just seems very sad that Alton Towers have decided to make these changes. I hope they're just a trial like some previous 'ideas'. Unfortunately I don't see any other way to save cash as easily as this. :(

Unfortunately it seems that with the way the climate is at the moment companies can often make you feel like you should be grateful for a job,

Hopefully it will change, it would be nice to get VAT off like they have campaigned for,

Also with the late ride openings surely most people will go to spinball and then on to Oblivion then to Rita? Would make more sense

i left this message on merlins facebook page , very disappointed with the latest set of cut backs, Britain's number one theme park(Alton towers) not opening major rides till after the parks opens and closing food and retail kiosks and not forgetting the poor acorn character all so being cut bad times at the towers. this was there responce "Thank you for your feedback, we will pass it on to the Resort however we can confirm they will be operating from 10am until at least 5pm for the vast majority of the season"