• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Selected rides opening from 11:00am - Reversed

Who the hell is in charge of these ludicrous decisions, none of which seem to last, it smacks of mis management somewhere.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Islander said:
To introduce something remarkably unpopular, without realising it'll be unpopular, is bad.

Once you realise it is unpopular, to reverse it is good.

However, to have u-turn after u-turn after u-turn... this is actually crazy.

Trouble is it's hard for them to say no to Merlin without guest feedback to prove it's a stupid idea. I think thats honestly why it is backwards and forwards like this.

Dave said:
Islander said:
To introduce something remarkably unpopular, without realising it'll be unpopular, is bad.

Trouble is it's hard for them to say no to Merlin without guest feedback to prove it's a stupid idea. I think thats honestly why it is backwards and forwards like this.
Fair point. Still, none (or at least near none) of us are industry experts, but we have no difficulty predicting the response to these measures - the people up high in Merlin should be able to as well, without needing to go as far as to test the water...

I've got a cost saving measure that could be made right now - sack whoever it is coming up with daft schemes. They clearly have no idea. We can all see the failings with what they are coming up with long before the guest feedback confirms it. Why on earth cant they?

Anyone else think that 20% off fast tracks + all the offers could be on to help reduce cuts and increase revenue instead of reduce it? Would be a very strong move it if works out that way in the long term, and a win win for the general public and park.

I for one am very glad that they've decided to end these late openings. It really did mean that you ended up having a very fragmented day. I'm just a tad annoyed they trialled it when I went!

I wonder what the next cut will be, hopefully it won't be as detrimental to guest experience as the previous ideas have been! I'm just wondering however, what else is there left to cut? Or try to cut at least?

Islander said:

This. Is David Cameron leader of Merlin?

Here's the first rule of big business greed, right on page one.

"A successful tightfisted/penny-pinching/cost-cutting measure must not cause so much of a negative backlash from customers that the effect is financially counterproductive."

Seems that a lot of fat cats are making poor calls at Alton Towers.

Islander said:
Hey Merlin, I just met you...
These cuts are CRAZY...
But here's another one...
U-Turn it maybe?

Basically it looks like what the park management are having to do is trial hair brained schemes to produce evidence that they won't work, rather then just being able to say to upper management when hair brained schemes simply won't work for basic business reasons.

It would therefore seem that one of two things is happening. Either Merlin don't have faith in the management at the parks or the management at the parks don't have faith in themselves. Either way, it really does not look good to their customers.

What is also damaging is how those who only visit once a season are all getting very mixed experiences dependant on when they have turned up... As opposed to a consistent experience being offered to everyone, every day.

These decisions are taken by Ian Crabbe. He is the manager of Alton Towers - but his title is actually a 'Divisional Director' of Merlin Entertainments.

Alton Towers managements not in a bubble of its own like people seem to believe. Merlin is the company, and Alton Towers is merely a branch of that company. Just because they have the park on a lease doesn't mean that is is a separate entity the way many people still seem to regard it as. There's no struggle or suffocation from Merlin here, Alton Towers IS Merlin.

Tom said:
These decisions are taken by Ian Crabbe. He is the manager of Alton Towers - but his title is actually a 'Divisional Director' of Merlin Entertainments.

Alton Towers managements not in a bubble of its own like people seem to believe. Merlin is the company, and Alton Towers is merely a branch of that company. Just because they have the park on a lease doesn't mean that is is a separate entity the way many people still seem to regard it as. There's no struggle or suffocation from Merlin here, Alton Towers IS Merlin.

I think most people recognise this fact. It's just easier and more understandable to use the terminology of "Merlin Management", "Alton Towers Management", "Park Management", etc. rather then using "Merlin Upper Management", "Merlin Middle Management" and "Merlin Lower Management" and then having to define those management levels.

I get that, but at times it still comes across as one being made out to be the demon and one that can do no wrong.

Great news that the delayed ride opening times has been reversed - the downside being what will they come up with next?

Can see it now - Duel will be open from 10, it will just have no lights on at all and you go around in the dark...

More u-turns then the coalition government.

All this u-turning is getting ridiculous now, just make a decision then stick to it. Maybe they are trialling different methods of cost-cutting to be implemented next year but it's not very nice for 2012 visitors to be subjected to Alton's indecisivness.

???

How can anyone take a company like this seriously when they keep making foolish decisions, only to go back on them shortly afterwards? Can't they work out for themselves that if they close a large selection of rides until later in the day that it will be followed by a backlash from customers (who are also expected to fork-out more money than last year but for less)?

::)

Seriously who cares. They have changed there minds so back to normal, it seems pretty clear to me that they will try and cut other areas but if the public complain (us british like to moan) then they will reverse it.

Let's hope they don't up car park charges. End of the day if food goes up take a pack lunch,

Thing is, they could have made some of the ideas behind these cuts work if they hadn't gone about them in such a moronic way. It really is pathetic management, and each time they do it another army of visitors leave the park with a bad experience to tell their friends about. Word travels quickly when people have the hump about something!