• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Silver Dollar City: General Discussion

Alton Towers, this is how you do a world's first ;)

4a-Key-image-Board_web.jpg

According to Silver Dollar City's minisite, Outlaw Run will feature...

* The steepest drop on a wooden coaster (81 degrees!)
* World's first outside banked turn on a wooden coaster
* The world's second fastest wooden coaster (68 mph!)
* The world's first ever double barrel roll on a woodie

Whilst I pick my jaw off the floor, I just hope this isn't Son of the Beast Mark II. ???
This is sure to be a world-class woodie if it's pulled off. ;D

Outside banking is not new to woodies. Wodan has it, and I'm sure a few others do as well.
Still, can't agrue with the rest.

Sam said:
391234_10151121811368566_140902008_n.jpg

Mother of god.

With regard to this picture, I think it is quite clear it is a woodie. Despite the actual rail being steel, the actual thing is made of wood- like all wooden coasters.

On the coaster itself, it looks the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. The outward banked turn is just crazy, the turns are all stupidly banked, and the barrel rolls are very strange indeed. The air time is all floater- which is a strange decision- and the drop is unbelievably steep.

This is a woodie on steroids.

Ride has been officially announced.

"Outlaw Run."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bhPPJrSOdk&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Rubbish video! Haha.

Haha that is so cliched - although let's be honest, by the looks of it marketing won't be particularly necessary to attract people to ride it!

I think they are still working on that bit. you'll notice that the wood doesn't have its metal covering after that joint so it will probably be pushed in line when the top is added.

As for that inversion... wow, now that's what I call a wooden Inversion. Proper wooden supports unlike SoB's wooden track but steel loop.

CGM said:
orha.png

Surely that isn't right?

I just don't think they've put the topper track on that section yet. That or it's to help indicate that this ride is in fact a woodie?

Hooooly!!!

Are these people crazy?

What if this rips itself apart in only a few years?? It certainly has the potential to do some serious damage to itself and riders if it gets rough :-/.

Woodie's shouldn't invert, it's just wrong.

I notice from the layout that the inversions seem to be in quite 'replacable' locations i.e. if it doesn't work out then they can probably be replaced by non-inverting track sections, without too much disruption to the layout.

The actual track looks brilliant inverting but as to how it will ride, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

The Psychoaster said:
The outside banked turn :eek:

Az5GMrPCEAAp8Dn.jpg:large

'No Hands Challenge' anybody?!

I am sorry, this ride looks totally insane, but I fully agree, I think it will be the new Son Of Beast, will have sections replaces as Dom says, and will then likely still close for good not long after! :\

It does look like one hell of a ride, no question. But I have to agree with others... I'm doubtful that it will last. I'd love to be proven wrong, of course, so that I might one day have a chance to ride it :p
As usual, though a tad more justified for once, I find myself thinking "why didn't they just use steel?"

The difference between Son of Beast and this is that SoB was a badly designed ride. It was built just to break as many records and cram in as much advanced technology as possible. As a result the cars were too heavy, the track was too weak and the ride started tearing itself apart. This on the other hand will probably have similar cars as the New Texas Giant and the traditional wooden rails are reinforced with a layer of steel.

I'm actually not sure anymore what to class this ride as. Originally I was going to say steel assuming the track would be similar to the New Texas Giant. However now they've started building it you can see it has the standard laminated wooden track that defines a wooden coaster topped with a fairly chunky layer of steel. Technically that means it is a wooden coaster, just with a lot more steel reinforcing. I think the term Hybrid really does suit the ride because I recon it’s going to ride like nothing else we've ever experienced, even without that layout.

Also a Western themed ride with a Double Barrel Roll, I see what you did there :p

Anyone know what the holes on the steal part of the track are for?