• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Silver Dollar City: General Discussion

I have to say, with such a crazy looking element it seems like they're taking a huge risk. I mean, how do they know it's going to feel smooth and not throw riders violently? I imagine computer simulations can only do so much. I suppose this is the case with all new elements but this really looks like it shouldn't work.

I've no doubt they know what they're doing but I can't help think they're rather ballsy for building it at all.

They know in the same way that Intamin, or B&M know that the train will make it around the track. They know by running the track profile, and various simulations through a computer to ensure that in all cases, it cannot valley, break or get stuck upside down. It's a process all major companies do, and I'm sure it's something that Rocky Mountain Construction Co. have thought about.

As for how smooth / rough this will ride, that's going to depend highly on the train design. If the trains are flexible enough and can rotate through the roll with ease, then this will be an amazing ride that I'm hoping to go and get a ride on. It's all down to the trains as the steel rails are pre-bent and put up. I think this will be a very interesting ride, and if any point is going to be rough, I have a feeling it'll be the "Cutback" / the first inversion that'll be rough due to the way that the track and structure curves to the left whilst the track banks to the right. That'll be a big test on the track design there.

Good luck to all those involved and I look forward to seeing some trains running around. I'm intrigued as to the design.

Mi-Nigle said:
I have to say, with such a crazy looking element it seems like they're taking a huge risk. I mean, how do they know it's going to feel smooth and not throw riders violently? I imagine computer simulations can only do so much. I suppose this is the case with all new elements but this really looks like it shouldn't work.

I'm assuming you're talking about the reverse banked turn here. I see no reason why it shouldn't work. If you look at it, it's like an indecisive Zero G Roll. It gets most of the way there then changes its mind.

I wouldn't say that RMC is taking a huge risk at all. They'll have worked out the forces on the rider at every point during the element. It's their signature element on their new flagship coaster so I'm pretty sure they'll have done everything they can to make sure it rides properly.

If for some reason something unexpected turns up in testing, they'll fix it then, well before anyone rides it.

As for it looking unsafe, I just don't think it does. The trackwork looks smooth and fluid and the structure looks a lot more dense and solid than most wooden coasters. It seems that people just don't trust wood as a building material based on nothing other than they've decided it's not safe.

If you think it looks unsafe now, just wait until it tests. If NTG is anything to go by, this coaster will move all over the place!

CGM said:
Mi-Nigle said:

I'm assuming you're talking about the reverse banked turn here. I see no reason why it shouldn't work. If you look at it, it's like an indecisive Zero G Roll. It gets most of the way there then changes its mind.

Exactly, most riders will brace for what feels like a roll on the approach then will be whipped in the opposite direction they were bracing for. The only way it can work is if the transition is silky smooth with no whipping.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it will work fine, I guess I'm playing the devil's advocate a little here. It just amazes me that they can predict how the human body will react under these unusual forces with such accuracy. It's really quite impressive.

Blizzard said:
Pricey. said:
The UK really needs one of these!

No one would ride them, the general public of england seem to have this thing in their heads that wooden coasters aren't safe, never mind inverting ones!

Would be good though!

Now, I've seen the queues for woodies in this country and I think this is far from the truth. I think people would ride them. Sure they may not visit a park especially for one, but they would have a go. They just aren't headline attractions in the UK at the moment.

Outlaw Run

Silver Dollar City posted their own animation of the ride yesterday. Looks awesome, I love the commentary on this video :p

LiamC said:
Outlaw Run

Silver Dollar City posted their own animation of the ride yesterday. Looks awesome, I love the commentary on this video :p

Your link hasn't worked. :p Is this what you meant?

Outlaw Run : Virtual Ride Experience (Full Length)

I love how there are wooden beams in the double barrel roll section that would smash your arms off if you were to raise them! Let's hope they don't actually add them in! :p

YES! I posted the video link from my iPad, probably why it didn't work!

This is an amazing feat of engineering for a ride. Silver Dollar should be proud of themselves that they've pulled something so amazing off! I can't wait to see the finished product in action.

I spy, with my little eye, something beginning with..... T.

21680_10151282549808566_235961247_n.jpg

575215_10151282579588566_1210818304_n.jpg

486225_10151282583778566_1214061599_n.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks these seats and lapbars scream Vekoma Junior Coaster?

Ian said:
Am I the only one who thinks these seats and lapbars scream Vekoma Junior Coaster?

I agree, they do have the look of a Vekoma Junior. The seat colourings also bear the resemblance of a turd.

The trains look much more suited for that of a gentle steel family coaster. Not an insane and mind blowing woodie!

Yeah I was gonna say, the lapbars don't exactly look particularly comfortable nor do the seats...

At what point in the design process did they sit back and say,
"hmm, all this upper body freedom might be a bit too much... I know, we'll put a bar in front of your shins so you can't brace with your legs. That'll solve everything!"

It looked too good to be true...the restraints being poor is one of the most annoying things as well.

For a company’s first attempt it looks good. The foot bar as Diogo said is an odd choice and it does look a bit too plastic (although I’m comparing it to the amazing trains of Wodan’s) but beside that it looks good. Plus another inverting coaster with a lap bar ;)

That up stop wheel though is bothering me. Is it actually attached to anything? it doesn’t look like it.

As a general point has anyone else notice that over the last few years there has been a real push towards properly themed trains? A few years back a non-family coaster train was considered themed if it had painted decals on the side. Now we've got trains like this that really look the part.