• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Spinball Whizzer: General Discussion

It's a shame. I think Spinball could do with a TLC project during this closed season, but since alton towers TLC was abandoned years ago, its likely that it won't happen. Here's a quick reminder how spinball used to look with its greenish blue supports back when it opened in 2004 before the Sonic sponsor.
spinconst01.15-500x375.jpg
00446305.jpg
spinball.jpg

And here's how it looks now with all the faded Sonic paint and grime. You can't tell me this ride looks good, because... it doesn't...
download.jpeg.jpg
Spinballwhizzerride.png

I don’t think we can assume what Merlin are planning with aesthetic maintenance at the moment. To all intents and purposes Merlin is now a brand new company. It’s owners are now Kirkby in the majority, it’s CEO has changed and quite a lot of the various attractions senior leaders have also changed.

The scale of work that needs doing (and the cost) is astronomical thanks to years of neglect. That said we already have 2 projects at Towers that although marketed as new attractions are basically massive restoration projects (Manor and Nemesis). I suspect as well that Skyride and Hex closing for the season is simply that they have decided to take more long term solutions to those problems rather than quick fixes.

Now just to be clear I am not saying we WILL see a change, I’m just saying turning this around is like turning an oil tanker 180 degrees. It’s not going to be quick and we won’t know if they are even trying to turn it for a few seasons.

Replacing a rides control system however, is a very major component of a ride and a very major upgrade. It's like a heart transplant. It is very unlikely a park would do an expensive and substantial upgrade like this if they did not plan running the ride for some time into the future.
Of course, and I totally agree the scale is such that there is a stronger hope of it being open longer.

Getting Submission running on full capacity again I understand was a fairly major investment, and that lasted all of a single season before being completely removed in the end.

Of course, and I totally agree the scale is such that there is a stronger hope of it being open longer.

Getting Submission running on full capacity again I understand was a fairly major investment, and that lasted all of a single season before being completely removed in the end.

The point about Submission is a good point actually. That would have been quite a major undertaking.