• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Stargazing Pods

I'm generally not one to praise Merlin but I do like this idea a lot more than most on here. I think it's a love or hate kinda thing, definitely not for everyone.

I had a little look at the show pods yesterday, not that you could go in them mind because all 3 were locked which seemed a bit pointless.

There's no getting away from it, they are small. But there clearly is a market for this style of basic accommodation though so that's fair enough. Having said that, if you are taller than 6ft 1 then I am confident that you will be too tall to fit in the double bed.

My main problem with these is that they have no character or 'magic' whatsoever, inside or out. The felt roofs feel cheap and the interieors are just plain wood and white bedding with no attempt to make some sort of theme. I hope this will change in the final product.

:)

I guess these will appeal to the Glamping brigade? Those slightly too posh to camp, but want the freedom/fun/back to basics fake 'camping' feel Glamping gives you?

I can't think of any other market these might appeal to, because frankly if I was thinking of slumming it, I'd rather pay Rue Hill the £5 a night basic tent pitch fee or the old man at the farm his £20 for a pitch with electric, other than that, you'll get the exact same facilities at both.

You can now book the Stargazing Pods
https://www.altontowers.com/short-breaks/stargazing-pods

I punched in a bed and breakfast rate for a random date in April and it came in at £113
Is it known when the pods open, out of interest? As I looked and I couldn't find anything.
EDIT: Just looked on a random night in August with the same package as you picked and it came to £123. Much lower than the other hotels, which is great! Nice to see Alton getting a budget option!

Do note, however, that a restaurant is not listed as one of the features like it is with the ATH and the CBeebies Land Hotel, so I'd presume some sort of takeaway option will be available.

Do note, however, that a restaurant is not listed as one of the features like it is with the ATH and the CBeebies Land Hotel, so I'd presume some sort of takeaway option will be available.
I noticed for breakfast they provide "a takeaway breakfast bap and hot drink to set you up for the exciting day ahead"

I just discovered that the pods will apparently open on 12th April 2019!

Also, one of the key features of the accommodation on Alton Towers' website is said to be "minimalistic theming", which I must admit I giggled a little at!
EDIT: Ah right, thanks for the info @Alsty!

I like these because they are a very good budget option for people who like camping and stuff like that.

Also, 'minimalistic theming?' I think Merlin just gave up on theming the rooms. And, you won't spend much time in there anyway. It is just a simple sleeping shed. You get what you pay for.

A hundred and twenty quid for a night in a shed?
I get to sleep in my shed for free...If I have been naughty.
Absolutely nuts.
If you think that is great Matt, you obviously won't be paying!

It's not quite as bad as that!

You get ERT, a free 2nd day in the theme park, round of adventure golf and evening entertainment of some description.

Oh... don't forget the breakfast bap and a hot drink!

Via Merlin Holiday Club:

b804cd442e525d326a1cb29a2e7b1fc2.png

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Via Merlin Holiday Club:

b804cd442e525d326a1cb29a2e7b1fc2.png

giphy.gif

What a bargain! Can't wait to blow a quarter of a grand on eating a greasy, pale, cold sausage "bap" in my unheated, freezing cold plywood box before a half mile trek across the sodden grass to queue for half an hour for the monorail just to reach the park.

What a bargain! Can't wait to blow a quarter of a grand on eating a greasy, pale, cold sausage "bap" in my unheated, freezing cold plywood box before a half mile trek across the sodden grass to queue for half an hour for the monorail just to reach the park.

Half a mile?!
Alton Towers said:
Alton Towers Stargazing Pods are located a stones throw away from the theme park*

*dependant on which Olympic athlete is throwing said stone, of course.

I like these because they are a very good budget option for people who like camping and stuff. You get what you pay for.
Camping locally is around a tenner a head, tenner a pitch is quite common.
Wild camping within a few miles is free...take your own sh!t shovel.

@RoyJess

They’ve closed that offer of the free upgrade

Need to know:
  • Due to the constrained footprint of the pods, there isn't a suitable turning circle for DDA guests using wheelchairs. There are multiple options across the Resort's Accommodation, an alternative would be a DDA Woodland Lodge located in the Enchanted Village
  • Due to the unique layout of the pods, a cot cannot be accommodated
  • Towels are not provided, however towel packs (4 towels) can be purchased as an additional extra or feel free to bring your own

Just read @kiphakes blog post on these Stargazing Pods.

Kip Hakes said:
The Alton Towers Stargazing Pods are available to book for Spring and Summer. The Pods will be available from 12th April 2019 through-out peak Summer and school holiday periods (Easter, May Half Term, all of June, July and August plus October Half Term). Pods can also be booked for weekend stays in May, Sept and Oct.

So it looks like they already don’t plan on offering this accommodation option for large chunks of the year, even before it has opened! What a pointless development this is. These clearly only exist to increase the room count at the resort to please Merlin’s shareholders.