• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Strange Rides

Plastic Person said:
TheMan said:
BigAl said:

I can't believe they used the actual JP music! ;D Must have been library rather than scored, which is a surprise, otherwise I cannot understand how they got hold of it!

It was scored by John Williams, and it's definitely not library.

I really can't see Conny Land forking out to pay and keep the original Williams score, plus it's also used at IOA anyway is it not? That has to be a Library version of the music!

LiamC said:
Plastic Person said:
TheMan said:
BigAl said:

I can't believe they used the actual JP music! ;D Must have been library rather than scored, which is a surprise, otherwise I cannot understand how they got hold of it!

I really can't see Conny Land forking out to pay and keep the original Williams score, plus it's used and IOA anyway is it not? That has to be a Library version of the music!

I'm implying that Conny Land are just using it without permission, or there's a loophole as far as Youtube is concerned. IOA is owned by Universal, who made JP, so that's useful for them. Imagine that John Williams still takes a cut, mind.

Plastic Person said:
LiamC said:
Plastic Person said:
TheMan said:
BigAl said:

I really can't see Conny Land forking out to pay and keep the original Williams score, plus it's used and IOA anyway is it not? That has to be a Library version of the music!

I'm implying that Conny Land are just using it without permission, or there's a loophole as far as Youtube is concerned. IOA is owned by Universal, who made JP, so that's useful for them. Imagine that John Williams still takes a cut, mind.

Good point there Plastic about IoA - depends what deal he signed also of course, that's total speculation. It is possible they licensed it from Universal, however given the ride is a total rip off I am not sure how that would work lol!

You'd be mad to brazenly use it like that, got admire their bottle if they have! ;D

What happens when a Ferris Wheel mates with a Tri-Star? This!
Sky_Whirl_2.jpg

But it's a shame these wheels are only for pedestrians. Wouldn't life be simpler if you could just drive straight on to a Ferris Wheel?
ferris-wheel.jpg

That must be where Maximum RPM got the idea from!

I used to go on that triple Ferris wheel every year. It was brilliant! Although I do remember being terrified of it once when I rode it at night. It solved the capacity issues usually associated with Ferris wheels and it really shifted too, the gondolas were on chains and could swing about all over the place particularly if it was windy.

It ended up being scrapped and replaced with a Vekoma Invertigo unfortunately which in turn has recently been upgraded to a patch of grass.

Went on that exact one in 2011 with Alex! DanB and Ant had hyped it up to be the most intense, horrible thing ever, but it really wasn't that bad :) Definitely the sort of thing you'd enjoy!

DiogoJ42 said:
Not the weirdest ride ever, but I sure would like a go on one. A Huss Flic Flac.

Would have been useful for clearing the snow off the drive that.

Came across a park called Wunderland Kalkar today which is built in a former nuclear power plant. The ride I want to focus on, whilst it isn't strange, is set inside something rather unique:

Nuclear-powerplant-transformed-wunderland.jpg

kernie-s-familienpark.jpg

Didn't think I'd ever see a cooling towers used like that! :p

Here's an overview of the entire park:

Luftaufnahme_Wunderland_Kalkar__Medium_.JPG

370240388.jpg

bell07.jpg

bell01.jpg

bell02.jpg

The biggest, worst throughput ride ever built (6 riders per cycle). What a waste :p

The 3D modellers around here would understand,

when I look at that bell all I think is... Use freaking smoothing groups, then I realise its real life...

That's either a clone of Die Glocke or it's been relocated at some point in its life as those photos aren't at Hansa Park.

Yeah, I can't work out if there's two of them, or Die Glocke was somewhere else previously. Funtime's website only seems to feature images of that one.

One thing I spotted though if you put the two side by side is that the one above has a ram either side of the gondola, and appears to swing back and forth within the bell like a real one would. Compare that the Hansa's which is fixed in place.

You know what the structure makes we think of? The old pump heads from mines :p

poppet-head-20522058.jpg

Looks like they just nicked some off one when it was knocked down and stuck it back together in a new shape!

I've looked into it a bit more and it seems Hansa's was originally at Wiener Prater. I suspect only 1 was made, and the ride was modified slightly before being installed at Hansa.