• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Strange Rides

Ah now those rams make the design make so much more sense! That would actually make quite a cool double action swing, so you'd get an extra little flick as the arm reaches its highest point.

Why they couldn't have added a few more seats I don't know though ::)
Plus I've got to agree with Fredward that the bell looks like something an amateur makes when trying to create their first piece of custom content in RCT :p

Here are a couple of peculiar looking attractions that used to reside at Coney Island, New York...

Scenic Spiral Wheel,
a.k.a The Top:

lu-top.jpg

A few seasons passed with little innovation before general Manager, Oscar C. Jurney, in 1917 added an unusual attraction called the Scenic Spiral Wheel, better known as The Top. It was a 45 ton, 70 foot diameter steel wheel that was tipped towards its heavier side where it rested on its bottom edge. Roller coaster track spiraled around its outer rim from its top to its bottom. As the four car train circled the rim of the wheel, its weight changed the wheel's tilt so that the entire rig gyrated around like a top running low on spin. The train slowly spiraled down and covered 3200 feet of track in two and one half minutes. A second train with a separate admission climbed up to the top of the wheel, then descended through a long tunnel. The wheel was more interesting to watch than to ride, and consequently only lasted through the 1921 season.
Source.

The Hoopla:

stp-hoopla.jpg

Source.

PtIh486.png

Source.

Chance Rides just shared this on Facebook:

ku-xlarge.jpg

Amusement park rides from the early 20th century weren't exactly known for their safety. But if this terrifying attraction from 1919 had ever been built, it probably would've been the most dangerous ride ever constructed.

Dreamt up by two New York inventors, this thing would obviously never fly in Disneyland. The idea? Thrill seekers would be strapped into pivoting chairs inside a capsule that looked like a gigantic bullet. Then that capsule would be shot out of an enormous cannon — an "electric gun" as they called it — only to land in what's basically a 100-foot tall martini glass.

But it doesn't end there. The capsule would splash down into the huge structure and zip through an enormous water flume, landing in a lake below. Guide rails and a conveyor belt would send the capsules back around to where they started, where riders could do the whole nauseating trick all over again — provided they had another quarter.

ku-xlarge.jpg

From the December 1919 issue of Electrical Experimenter magazine:

The illustration herewith shows a novel pleasure resort attraction devised by two New York inventors. Altho, at a first glance, it may seem impracticable to construct such a daring amusement contrivance as this, a little reflection will show that it is not so impossible at all.

In the circus we are used to seeing a person "loop-the-loop" or turn a somersault in mid-air while in an automobile, the vehicle and its passengers landing right side up on a properly inclined platform, down which it glides to earth. Our artillery experts can compute with extreme accuracy the trajectory of various projectiles, both large and small, and thus it should be quite possible, with the aid of modern mechanical engineering technique, to build one of these aerial passenger rocket amusements successfully. The gun out of which is the shell or rocket, with its human cargo is shot, may be operated by compressed air, by powder, or it may be an electromagnetic gun.

After the shell has sped thru the air, over the course indicated by the dotted lines, ti lands on a large cushion of water also, and upon striking the lagoon, it is guided back to the starting point by a link-belt as here illustrated. Electric cars of special type, seen at the left of the picture, carry the "rockets" back to the station, thence around to the gun breech, where a hydraulic plunger loads the carrier into the gun.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Rather relieved that never got built! :p

The most impressive thing about that, is that they considered a LIM launch as early as 1919!

DiogoJ42 said:
The most impressive thing about that, is that they considered a LIM launch as early as 1919!

I thought exactly that mate!

What made me chuckle is the "life belt".

Yes, falling out of your chair is the obvious danger here.

Oooh it's that revlotution/revolver ride thingy in RCT3 (can't remember exactly what it's called in RCT). No idea who makes it though!

:)

I think they are really common at American fairs, but I've never seen one in the UK sadly.

Oh China! That is just totally wrong - however maybe Merlin could use it in their dungeons attractions, and when some of us moaners go and give it a try they turn it off the fake setting and...

:p

Back yard coasters are one thing. How about a shot-em-up dark ride in your garage?

I may have told some of you about this already, but one of the guys on Ghostbusters Fans forum is building his own interactive dark ride. So far it is very much a work in progress, but he has now built a prototype of the ride system:

Full details can be found in this thread:
http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38550&view=unread#p4819181

(And yes, I'm "Smeghead".)

I wonder if he will use mirco computer (arduino / pi) or go for hardware logic. he will need a feedback line to add points display.
As for the PKE a timer circuit with IR receiver on the side of the car and a permanently on IR LED pointing across the track at the right place. ( this could be done with a IR light barrier under the car with a fin to break the barrier when they want the PKE to work)

Minor update on the Ghostbusters ride, it now has it's own website. A bit more info on the project, background of the guy building it, his inspirations etc.