• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Strange Rides

I believe an offical TowersStreet meet will be organised in 2018 to experience that! :p

Been following a discussion on Coaster Force about Belle Vue in Manchester, from many years ago, and I thought I would stick this on here for younger geeks who might be interested about a very strange attraction from the past...

"The one other attraction I loved at Belle Vue was (I think) called Shoot the Rapids.
You paid your shilling (5p), then walked up a series of dark corridors, then had to wait in a strange dimmed room.
The ride attendant then called you through a door, and you sat in a sort of cramped cupboard, about five feet cubed, with a wide seat (for 2 or 3 people) made of rollers.
As the attendant closed the door on you in the cupboard, the rollers in the seat became a ramp, at about 45 degrees, and you rolled down through a trap door onto a massive canvas conveyor belt, about ten feet wide and about thirty feet down, again at an angle of about 45 degrees. As you slipped down the canvas slope, the conveyor system rolled up towards you, forcing you back up again, and you bounced over spongy rollers beneath the canvas, giving a sensation of riding waves, hence "Shoot the Rapids"...the strangest ride I have ever been on.
After about thirty seconds of falling, bouncing, rolling and turning, an attendant at the bottom switched off the conveyor, and you slipped down towards the bottom...the attendant would then switch the conveyor back on, and you would be zipped back up to the top, to roll back down again.
At the foot of the contraption there was a wide space for previous riders to watch the next riders coming down, very popular at the time with young gentlemen (including me) as half the young ladies ended up with their skirts and dresses around their heads.
It was the sort of ride that gave you an amazing first experience, but was a bit of a one trick pony, only really good if you took a "newbie" on it with you the next time.
Only rode it about three times, and have never seen another ride like it in the last forty odd years.
Would love to see one built again now, I would be first in the queue."

I double checked my distant memories on google, and I'm pleased to say I'm not making it up!
No real decent photos or videos sadly.

I can only say I got many more bruises and grazes from the Funhouse at BPB.

I'm sure we can make a mega list of ride injuries worse, I'll volunteer making my knee a bleeding mess on Breakdance No.1 or Bandit stomach murder or Infusion temple shot or.....

Have you ever wondered what would happen if you took a village fate tombola, climbed inside it, and turned it up to 11?

It's like Tourbillion without the class. I wanna!