• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Strange Roller Coasters

10/10 for effort, both to you, Al, and to the parks that built the first three Pinfaris. They certainly are very pretty.

But as coasters they are still gash. Even with my liberal rules, I'd struggle to call the first two credits! :p (though obviously, I'd still count them ;) )

I've been on the Tornado before, and it is terrifying, really really terrifying! It used to have a corkscrew in it but it was removed after 2 seasons due to the fact that the force the trains pulled while passing through it was beginning to damage the track and the riders... :eek:

The SLC is quite good though, I've been on the Tsunami at M&Ds and I quite enjoyed it :)

Josh said:
I've been on the Tornado before, and it is terrifying, really really terrifying! It used to have a corkscrew in it but it was removed after 2 seasons due to the fact that the force the trains pulled while passing through it was beginning to damage the track and the riders... :eek:

The SLC is quite good though, I've been on the Tsunami at M&Ds and I quite enjoyed it :)

M&D's have an SLC? :S

Alastair said:
Josh said:

They sure do. :p

EDIT: God, that video really shows how bad the corkscrew was... the camera barely made it through it alive! :p

Josh said:
Alastair said:
Josh said:

They sure do. :p

EDIT: God, that video really shows how bad the corkscrew was... the camera barely made it through it alive! :p

Oh I see, I thought by SLC you meant Vekoma. I didn't even realise Pinfari had attempted them :p

Off the back of the news about Steel Dragon 2000 getting new B&M trains, I looked up a POV. This revealed something that definately belongs in this topic...
Watch this, and pay close attention to the track of the lift hill from about 50 seconds in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klzlNeOmlJ8#ws

There are two seperate chains! The first chain is offset to the right, then about half way up, a second chain replaces it on the left, with a slight overlap between the two.
Why was this done? Is it so they can have two seperate block sections on the lift? Or is it that the lift is too long for a single chain? I wouldn't have thought so, there must be longer lifts out there with a single chain. Maybe it just makes things easier if they have to replace a few links?

Answers on a postcard!

If the lift had one continuous chain, then the chain would be too heavy (or something like that), hence the two chains.

DiogoJ42 said:
Why was this done? Is it so they can have two seperate block sections on the lift? Or is it that the lift is too long for a single chain? I wouldn't have thought so, there must be longer lifts out there with a single chain. Maybe it just makes things easier if they have to replace a few links?

It apparently has two chains because having one would be too heavy.

Well, technology's improved since then, plus maybe Morgan didn't have the ability to make a chain light enough for the lift hill.

It is both reasons. Too heavy and it can block on the lift, well that is what I have read previously.

Blaze said:
Don't all the other 300+ ones have cables instead? Apart from the B&M?

Yeah, i305 and Millenium Force both use cable lifts. Morgan were just behind the curve.

TedTheHuman said:
DiogoJ42 said:

It apparently has two chains because having one would be too heavy.

My guessing would be that they had to use re-enforced chains due to the location of the coaster. Steel dragon was re-enforced everywhere to make It earthquake proof hence the $30m price tag, therefore needing two chains instead of one ridiculously heavy one. Stop me if I'm wrong?!

Well, it's technically not a roller coaster or a ride (Although it is part of a ride) but it is Poma!

a4xQ3Jk.jpg

Oh you!

Came across a company I've never heard of before yesterday who make a range of different rides rides. They're called 'Ride Tek' and these are their coaster designs:

Double Shot
double%20shot%20grande.jpg

Energizer
Energizer%20grande.jpg

Mall Designs
immagine%202_SM.jpg

IMage_1_CO%20grande.jpg

Raptor2.jpg

BCM%20-Vista2.jpg

Jimmy's Run
Jimmi%20run%20grande.jpg

Squirrel
SQ_persp_790.jpg

Videos of these rides and more can be downloaded to view from this page of their website.

Also, I did a quick search for them on RCDB and this is their only ride:

8f5qg0025df0aca81amk1u.jpg

esf25b0vd80012ong56541.jpg

j7eh928hbg7ra0008m5s19.jpg

3hg52ong5654925g0vd800.jpg

8tbmm000hcbo2j2i4h2r0f.jpg

It's called 'Cobra' and is located at Tivoli Friheden in Denmark. As far as I know, that giant ugly wall is a scream / noise shield for nearby residents.

POV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HA6hADbCH8#ws