• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Strongest coaster theming in the UK?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. With Nemesis having closed yesterday and "changes" being hinted at, a big topic of discussion in some circles as of late has been the ride's theming. Some think that Nemesis' theming is infallible and should be kept exactly as is, whilst others think that some things could be added to it. This got me thinking of coasters in the UK that I feel are well themed. I think there are quite a few well themed UK coasters myself; this country often does well on theming, in my view! But my question to you today is; in your opinion, which UK coaster has the strongest theming? Which UK coaster provides the strongest themed experience, in your view?

Personally, my top UK coaster in terms of theming is Wicker Man at Alton Towers. I think the ride does incredibly well on theming; the queue is packed with little details and theming items, the pre-show is fantastic, the station is brilliant, and overall, I think it's just an incredible themed experience!

The Swarm and Saw at Thorpe Park are a close 2nd and 3rd for me. I love Swarm Island, and I think its whole apocalyptic vibe was pulled off impeccably, with tons of little details and huge wrecked vehicles strewn around! I think that Saw has a cracking dark ride section and a brilliant indoor queue, and I overall think that it's themed very well and builds atmosphere really nicely!

But what UK coaster do you think has the strongest theming?

I think that when it comes to themed coasters you’ve got the big three of Wicker Man, Saw: The Ride, and The Swarm which are all a massive step ahead of anything else. Obviously Wicker Man is the stand out one with Big Bob and the flames by the Swarm is excellent as well and I think surprisingly underrated in that department when the station is a ruined church, the operator cabin an upturned police van and you go whizzing through a billboard and past a real life freaking helicopter. And I’ve said this before but I think that there’s an argument to be made that Saw’s superb indoor section could almost be considered the best dark ride in the UK at the moment.

To be honest though not many other coasters in the UK stand out for their theming. Maybe Storm Chaser at Paulton’s is worth a mention as well, as is Avalanche at Blackpool. But back in the day in its 90’s prime Vampire theming really was something to behold.

Last edited:
This really didn't need to be made into a new thread as the answer is obviously Wickerman. Nothing comes close theming wise in the UK.

Nemmy for me still a far superior coaster though and still number 1 in the country (if we can still include it that is)

I agree that Vampire was once the best themed coaster in the Uk, but Chessington have needed around with it so much over the years that it now looks massively underwhelming.

Storm Chaser and Farmyard Flyer are probably the best themed now in my opinion. But also, I’m very surprised that Thirteen isn’t getting mentioned.

Storm Chaser and Farmyard Flyer are probably the best themed now in my opinion. But also, I’m very surprised that Thirteen isn’t getting mentioned.

The thing with Thirteen is that in a way it’s theming is quite subtle because it’s meant to blend in to its surroundings and look quite natural and it definitely does that to the point of perhaps feeling underthemed. But I think they really missed a truck though by not having some kind of near miss element for the ride to interact with in the outside part. A headchopper or keyhole moment with a tree trunk or some stonework in the woods would have really set the ride off and would have been a nice touch.

I’ve got to say, I (shamefully) forget about the ones that aren’t at Alton or Thorpe… Storm Chaser is definitely up there, and Tornado Springs in general is an absolutely stunning area jam packed with detail throughout!

I’d say that Thirteen is also up there, as well. Yes, it’s not jam packed with theming, but I think the indoor queue line, station and crypt are all very well themed. The queue also has (or had) some minor details in it such as the Alton Towers van crashed into a tree and the person tied to a tree… although these seem to have been lost to some extent to vegetation growth in more recent years. As others have said, I also think that it’s very resourceful in making use of what’s around it.

Thirteen? 🤣🤣 Scaffold, the fakest plastic leaves imaginable, an abandoned shop, a crypt that could add so much if it was interactively themed. Dear oh dear.

I'd slightly begrudgingly call it for Wickerman; the scale of the theming and its interactive nature add massively to the whole experience, and make the ride really. Just a shame it's attached to such mediocre hardware.

Everything Paultons have done in recent times is absolute class, Stormchaser must be up there in completeness of theme, although it does lack any one specific focal point and interaction that Wickerman boasts that could possibly nudge it ahead.

Vampire would probably be my all time number one, but those days are far far behind it. Easy to forget how cleverly Chessingtons RMT was themed too, to the extent Mack couldn't believe it was their generic ride and not custom. Scorpion Express is (was?) an embarrassment.

I think The Swarm is the best when it comes to theming. Great near misses and a lot of detail.

Just a shame that recently it’s starting to deteriorate with TV’s hardly ever on in the queue and most of the wood in the station starting to rot.

Saw is definitely a close second but the outside area is a bit lacking.

I don't have a favourite, but there's definitely a group of them that really do top the rest. These are;

The Swarm
Nemesis
Stealth
Colossus
Oblivion
Vampire

I don't have a favourite, but there's definitely a group of them that really do top the rest. These are;

The Swarm
Nemesis
Stealth
Colossus
Oblivion
Vampire
Out of interest, what is it that makes you rate Stealth and Colossus so highly for theming?

Last edited: