• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TBC: SW9 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Playing devils advocate, he probably means the Corkscrew was the first inverting coaster, which it wasn't as we all know, maybe he heard "first corkscrew coaster in uk" and assumed that meant first coaster.

Was the first UK coaster with an inversion Revolution @ Blackpool?

Been thinking about a launched flume today, and I think it would be incredible. Perhaps not quite as fast as Rita but I think even if it launched to say 50mph it would bring in people from all over the world. You could even launch it through a waterfall. Imagine how incredible it would be to hurtle into a waterfall at 50mph on the world's fastest log flume. Whenever I talk to people about Alton Towers they always say the same things, A) that they wish the log flume was still there and B) They enjoy haveing fun

I think for safety/practicality reasons, an amusement park ride travelling that fast would need to be secured to the track, not just rolling/floating on top like a flume. I think a launched water coaster is as close as you'll get for the moment.

I think the best way to achieve the launch is by having a master blaster style jet (but more powerful, 50mph powerful) that the logs travel on. As long as it was a concentrated jet it would be completely safe. The launch could be right at the bottom of the final drop, imagine the surprise thinking the ride is over then boom 50mph in a log. It'd be the most sensational feeling in the world.

It wouldn't even use much water because they could use some from the many lakes AT has

I think I've figured out the inversion too. A big bucket on an arm. The log flows into the bucket, the water level is lowered. Then the bucket starts to sway like a pendulum, back and forth until it reaches enough speed for the centripetal force to safely hold water and log inside the mega bucket, couple of spins for fun and then slow you back down again. The water fills up again and the log flows out of the bucket to the lift hill for the launched drop thing. Simple.

I'd have it go straight from the bucket into the drop, but it'd be unfeasible to have the bucket that high up. Totally unfeasible.

Last edited:
There's no reason SW9 couldn't be a log flume. Now admittedly I'm a log flume enthusiast, but if SW9 were to be a log flume, there are loads of world first's available to Alton Towers, such as (and I'm drawing from the other rides at the park here, but)

Inverted log flume
VR log flume
Vertical drop log flume
Launched log flume
First log flume with an inversion
First wooden log flume

People have this outdated preconception of log flume's, but done right I think a log flume could secure the park's future

So, an inverted log flume you say? Inverted? Are you telling me that the water will be above my head and I'll be flying around through the air in a log? Interesting concept. :D

As cool as some of those concepts sound, you have one main problem – the water. An inversion would mean that there would have to be some sort of track, thus turning it into a water coaster, not a flume.
VR is also a no go at the moment, and on a log flume,there's so many more things that can go wrong. Water and technology don't really mix!
A launched log flume seems interesting, but I'm pretty sure that again would have to have some sort of track. I guess it's not impossible though – non are impossible, so Alton, if you're up for a challenge? :p

:)

Do you think they'd ever do a cross valley log flume? The drop would be immense. Probably pick up enough speed for an inversion at the bottom. It could happen from a planning permission point of view because logs would blend in nicely with the gardens. there are so many logs and cut down trees in the gardens anyway that the only real difference is some of the legs are inverting at 50mph.

I think the main problem would be getting the logs back up the other side of the valley, but I suppose they could use a launch system to boof it up into dark forest. Only problem is then, how do you get the log back to Forbidden Valley? I doubt Towers would go for a second launch. A more traditional lift perhaps? As long as it was nicely themed it wouldn't really seem too anti climatic.

Only other method is to launch it into Dark Forest at such a speed that it turns around and launches back into the valley with such tremendous speed that it easily clears the hill back up into Forbidden Valley. It would have to be extremely fast, but imagine the tagline. World's fasted, steepest, launched, inverting log flume. Nobody would give Nemesis a second look.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.