• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TBC: SW9 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Here's a wild idea... could SW9 be the Nemesis retrack?

I know it probably isn't, but it's just a possibility I thought I might put out there... it's possible!
It definitely isn't possible, with all due respect :sweatsmile: You can't argue a Secret Weapon 3 re-track is going to be Secret Weapon 9. I know we're desperate for something, but this is pulling nothing out of thin air. Can you imagine "ah yes Secret Weapon 9 is coming, but it's just a retrack of an existing ride".

If Intamin are involved, I'm certain DF will be the location with two options.

First one is most unlikely is the Cross Valley woody which if you all remember was supposed to be built Intamin back in the day.

Another option is the replacement of Rita with some better though I'm not sure Rita would be truly gone...

What I mean is that with the retrack of Nemesis about to start which will be a like for like replacement, Rita could be something like a complete redesign into something far greater which I feel Intamin would be willing to do; Nemesis retrack could also be a test to see how well a retrack will turn out.

Now what I mean by keeping the Rita name is simple, despite what many of us think of the ride, it is still a favourite among the GP, kind of what happens nowadays on rotten tomatoes for film such as the professional critic score (us enthusiasts) and audience score (the GP). So keeping the Rita name might be a marketing idea to please the punters but much to our chagrin.

Interesting stuff...

True..... but I'm sure that they can factor something into a ride like that which makes it a worlds first. Most launches? Fastest launch?

This. Merlin obviously can’t go high at Towers but what they could do is something Taron-esque, low, fast and twisty with lots of launches.

If you think about it SW9 wasn’t a “World’s First” coaster (despite a bit of talk trying to claim that it was the first to combine wood and fire). A really good multi-launch with some superb standout theming could be a brilliant choice for Towers.

First one is most unlikely is the Cross Valley woody which if you all remember was supposed to be built Intamin back in the day.

Another option is the replacement of Rita with some better though I'm not sure Rita would be truly gone...

What I mean is that with the retrack of Nemesis about to start which will be a like for like replacement, Rita could be something like a complete redesign into something far greater which I feel Intamin would be willing to do; Nemesis retrack could also be a test to see how well a retrack will turn out.

Now what I mean by keeping the Rita name is simple, despite what many of us think of the ride, it is still a favourite among the GP, kind of what happens nowadays on rotten tomatoes for film such as the professional critic score (us enthusiasts) and audience score (the GP). So keeping the Rita name might be a marketing idea to please the punters but much to our chagrin.

Interesting stuff...
I wouldn't say the Cross Valley coaster is unlikely, in fact of those 2 options i'd say that is the most likely. I think though now they have Wicker Man, it would be more likely to be a steel or hybrid coaster rather than a traditional or pre-fab (which is what the originally planned ride would have been) woodie. The last mid-term development mentioned a cross valley ride, so it's definitely an area that is still in consideration.

Did we ever find out why they drained that lake/pond recently near Forbidden Valley, could that potentially be for part of a new ride going there?

I can't see Rita going anywhere just yet

Last edited:
Can't find the exact date the SW8 sign appeared in forbidden valley, but if we are not already passed it the anniversary of that date could be interesting...
The SW8 sign on The Flume site was first teased on 16th March 2016, and Wicker Man opened in 2018, for what it's worth. Although it is worth remembering that The Flume would likely have already been closed whether SW8 replaced it or not, whereas whatever SW9 replaces (if anything) is probably still there, so the buildup will likely be shorter with SW9.

Based on Exodus at Thorpe and Jumanji at Chessington, I'd wager we'll get a consultation with local residents revealing SW9 before we see any signs on park.

Based on Exodus at Thorpe and Jumanji at Chessington, I'd wager we'll get a consultation with local residents revealing SW9 before we see any signs on park.
This does seem to the new Merlin way to get planning applications through easier however it will depend on what they are doing, if they are doing some sort of top secret new coaster type or something then I don't think they'll want to do that. Towers have never done anything quite like that before. I think it will also depend where they are building it, if they have found a site that they think won't be too much trouble and is not too close to the locals then they might just go for a regular application.

People are thinking too soon here. Duel is set for a fair whack of cash and Nemesis will be in the millions. If Duel is slated as 2023s CAPEX as such (in terms of reopening) and Nemesis is pegged as 2024, you'd expect a low year after that in 2025 (can we have a decent flat that year please Towers). I can't see them throwing huge amounts multiple years in a row at Towers.

It doesn't make much marketing sense either. 2023 can advertise a new/reworked/whatever for Duel, 2024 can advertise Nemesis being reopen for its 30th anniversary, 2025 a flat ride on the low budget year would be an easy advert to use so 2026 would again make sense at the earliest.

People are thinking too soon here. Duel is set for a fair whack of cash and Nemesis will be in the millions. If Duel is slated as 2023s CAPEX as such (in terms of reopening) and Nemesis is pegged as 2024, you'd expect a low year after that in 2025 (can we have a decent flat that year please Towers). I can't see them throwing huge amounts multiple years in a row at Towers.

It doesn't make much marketing sense either. 2023 can advertise a new/reworked/whatever for Duel, 2024 can advertise Nemesis being reopen for its 30th anniversary, 2025 a flat ride on the low budget year would be an easy advert to use so 2026 would again make sense at the earliest.
It's not out of the realms of possibility, in my eyes. Chessington has allegedly been allocated £60m for the 5 years between 2022 and 2026... if Alton gets a similar amount, then I'd imagine that that could easily fund Duel, Nemesis retrack and SW9 with a good amount to spare!

Also, we don't know how much Duel's retheme is costing. If, as some are suggesting, it is a non-IP job that uses some elements of the existing theme, then it could cost less than we expect... IP licensing costs a surprising amount of money, so considerable cost could be saved by doing an original theme.

This guy has stated that SW9 is coming, but we all knew that anyway. We're still no where nearer to knowing when. Although I would of course be excited, again I go back to the many issues the park has and an announcement of an imminent new coaster without sorting those issues first would be frustrating.

If Merlin really do care about guest experience going forward then they'd resolve the supporting ride and family attraction problems with the park before splashing the cash on yet another coaster for a quick short term attendance boost.

I felt that way about Wickerman and it was the SW I was least exited about as a result. Although it surpassed expectations, I still remember standing there in the same tired park on opening day, on a 4pm close, with shuttered or removed attractions all round feeling this bitter sweet feeling.

This guy has stated that SW9 is coming, but we all knew that anyway. We're still no where nearer to knowing when. Although I would of course be excited, again I go back to the many issues the park has and an announcement of an imminent new coaster without sorting those issues first would be frustrating.

If Merlin really do care about guest experience going forward then they'd resolve the supporting ride and family attraction problems with the park before splashing the cash on yet another coaster for a quick short term attendance boost.

I felt that way about Wickerman and it was the SW I was least exited about as a result. Although it surpassed expectations, I still remember standing there in the same tired park on opening day, on a 4pm close, with shuttered or removed attractions all round feeling this bitter sweet feeling.
I reckon they are most likely aiming for a 2025 opening for SW9, especially if, like John Wardley was hinting, we are going to be seeing something regarding it in the coming weeks.
Chessington 2023
Thorpe 2024
Towers 2025? If so, a planning application/public consultation won't be far off.

I agree totally however it depends on the pot of cash available..
If chessington have 60m over 3 or 4 years, what's to say Alton don't and can do the necessary to the park with SW9 being added as well

Someone who previously worked for Intamin joining Merlin does not automatically mean that SW9 will be an Intamin!

I still think SW9, whatever it turns out to be, is a good few years off. 2026 seems most likely to me.
I agree it seems the most sensible given (I remember hearing) Wicker Man started planning in 2014 and that opened 4 years later. March 2026 is only 3½ years away! 😲

I don't think 2026 is unreasonable, especially with the big rides going in across other Merlin parks and also the fact that they must be aware of the some gaping wholes in capacity at Alton Towers. I think we will have to see some form of flat rides or other attractions going in within the next few years because they are just so needed. Even if SW9 comes in 2025 they've still got time to add some flat rides, but it would mean that they'd be putting a lot of money into Alton Towers in one big lump.

The other main option would be the Blade site going over to the land between Sub-Terra and Nemesis as discussed a few pages ago.

Someone who previously worked for Intamin joining Merlin does not automatically mean that SW9 will be an Intamin!

I still think SW9, whatever it turns out to be, is a good few years off. 2026 seems most likely to me.

No it doesn't mean it, but it would be a logical choice.

- Knows the hardware
- Knows the limitations of the hardware
- Knows the engineers
- Good design support from previous colleagues

It just fits nicely like a glove. That all said, something completely different wouldn't shock me either

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.