• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TBC: SW9 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I would have thought there would be real hight challenges starting any SW at the HH unless it was a real low profile launch. IIRC there are doubts over any kind of LSM because the local grid cannot take it?

My assumption was the prime location would be a station somewhere around Ripsaw. If it was structurally viable out into the valley from there. Would be beneficial to draw crowds back to that end of the park too.

Even if it isn't a cross-valley I think the Ripsaw/Blade and Nemesis extended queue could all be a potential site. Rebuild a better Burger Kitchen somewhere down there with actual seating and all the buildings between Ripsaw and the Skyride could go. Add a new pirate ship in elsewhere in the park and Blade could go and its a pretty big area for a coaster.
Biggest issue is that it means Forbidden Valley is an area with three coasters and no support rides so they would need to consider adding new flat rides, maybe replacing SubTerra.

If they went for that sort of area they may well have to do nemesis style excavation with in a way I'm all for because it makes really interesting rides. I think they've learnt there lesson from building just concrete pits for drainage reasons, look at the smilers pit.

If they went for that sort of area they may well have to do nemesis style excavation with in a way I'm all for because it makes really interesting rides. I think they've learnt there lesson from building just concrete pits for drainage reasons, look at the smilers pit.

The bottom of the Nemesis pit is concrete. To hold the water. The material used is not the issue.

The Smiler pit would have been absolutely fine had they put adequate drainage in.

The bottom of the Nemesis pit is concrete. To hold the water. The material used is not the issue.

The Smiler pit would have been absolutely fine had they put adequate drainage in.
Yes I know, if I needed to further clarify, I mean that a endless concrete only out without drainage. Also a concrete pit like smilers is less interesting then something like nemesis is. Further to this I think if we were to see excavation works then we would see something in the style of nemesis rather than in the style of smiler.

It does seem a good possibility that the top half of FV down to the ex-Ripsaw site looks a good candidate for a new ride. That's a lot of space if you flatten everything in the area. Would be no surprise at all and would make an interesting project.

True but I feel you would need to replace the lost food kiosks and somehow add a couple of support rides.

3 major coasters in one area means extra capacity would be needed otherwise I can't see the area being fun with all that queuing

Put SW9 aside... the toilet provision in Forbidden Valley is already dreadful - the toilets under Skyride main-drive are woefully inadequate.

If anything major is added to Forbidden Valley, then this needs to be addressed - or even more people than currently do will just utilise the "facilities" of the bushes (yes, I have seen it happen, often - some people just don't care as long as they have their back to people so their waggle cannot be seen).

Put SW9 aside... the toilet provision in Forbidden Valley is already dreadful - the toilets under Skyride main-drive are woefully inadequate.

If anything major is added to Forbidden Valley, then this needs to be addressed - or even more people than currently do will just utilise the "facilities" of the bushes (yes, I have seen it happen, often - some people just don't care as long as they have their back to people so their waggle cannot be seen).
They seem adequate to me to be honest. You just have to walk a couple of hundred metres or whatever at worst. If people aren't doing that then they're lazy. I've never seen anyone do that personally, and I've been going for many many years. Absolute lazy people these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
You wouldn't need new toilets if you built a coaster on the The Blade - Ripsaw site as it would actually be the closest ride in the area to the current toilets.

Besides, FV Sky Ride toilets are always dead when I go in there, despite their small size. Since FV is a kind of dead end, before you even get there you can use the ones in Fountain Square before getting on the Skyride, FV Skyride at the other end or take a slash in the Gloomy Wood ones on your way through. Vice Versa on your way out.

Galactica is quite some distance away from the bogs, but it's still less strenuous to walk to the Skyride from there than it is to walk up that steep incline from the Smiler exit to the X sector Kermit.

Alton Towers certainly don't play safe in the traditional sense with there SW's, they like to push the boundary in some way, but they also like to be sensible. For example they wouldn't build a prototype from a manufacture they didn't trust, like they have really only built prototypes for B&M.

I wouldn't say the Cross Valley coaster is unlikely, in fact of those 2 options i'd say that is the most likely. I think though now they have Wicker Man, it would be more likely to be a steel or hybrid coaster rather than a traditional or pre-fab (which is what the originally planned ride would have been) woodie. The last mid-term development mentioned a cross valley ride, so it's definitely an area that is still in consideration.

Did we ever find out why they drained that lake/pond recently near Forbidden Valley, could that potentially be for part of a new ride going there?

I can't see Rita going anywhere just yet

Could they be potentially looking towards different methods to pump out the water, create a sealed system or test eco friendly dyes. So they could get the famous nemesis red blood back for its new opening?

I’m hope they compliment this with a new flat ride that also uses red dye water for its landscapes. It’s what made the area unique and immersive, I’ve see this at no other park!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alton Towers certainly don't play safe in the traditional sense with there SW's, they like to push the boundary in some way, but they also like to be sensible. For example they wouldn't build a prototype from a manufacture they didn't trust, like they have really only built prototypes for B&M.
Wasn't Smiler the first Gerstlauer Infinity? Or am I mistaken?

I've always thought of The Smiler as an excellent example of Alton Towers playing it safe. It is certainly a world's first, but it's quite a conventional world's first. I think it's the lift hill in the middle that makes it feel rather safe. If they'd managed 14 loops off a single lifthill, that would have been a more risky prospect.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.