• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TBC: SW9 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I've always thought of The Smiler as an excellent example of Alton Towers playing it safe. It is certainly a world's first, but it's quite a conventional world's first. I think it's the lift hill in the middle that makes it feel rather safe. If they'd managed 14 loops off a single lifthill, that would have been a more risky prospect.
14 Inversions from a single lift hill was impossible because of the height limit (JW mentions in his book that it would've required a lift height of at least 50 metres).

It does make me wonder what they will actually do.

In GP terms...

We have a launch.
We have a flyer.
We have a suspended.
We have a drop track.
We have inversions.
We have a diver.
We have wood.

What is or could be out there that is different enough to warrant the investment from a commercial point of view?

It does make me wonder what they will actually do.

In GP terms...

We have a launch.
We have a flyer.
We have a suspended.
We have a drop track.
We have inversions.
We have a diver.
We have wood.

What is or could be out there that is different enough to warrant the investment from a commercial point of view?

UK first RMC “Hybrid”/Watercoaster? Other than that I would of thought something new we haven’t seen yet.

As has been said many times. The park doesn’t need any more coasters.

Priorities for me:

Flats
Indoor coaster (Iron Man)
Trackless Dark ride (Ratatouille)
Dark water ride (POTC)
Simulator/screen ride (Soarin)
Better quality dining options
Sorting the hotels/resort options out
Tidying up/plussing their existing attractions

All needed far more than another outdoor coaster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As has been said many times. The park doesn’t need any more coasters.

I don't totally disagree (assuming we don't lose any...).

However the thread is titled SW9 speculation and unless there is a major break from tradition, SW9 will be a coaster.

That is if SW9 is even on the radar.

14 Inversions from a single lift hill was impossible because of the height limit (JW mentions in his book that it would've required a lift height of at least 50 metres).
They could've dug a bigger whole or added a launch in the middle, but no like @Squiggs says they played it safe and basically just built a big looping coaster, something which has been perfected for almost 3 decades at this point.

I would like a coaster that focus on airtime, an Intamin multi-launched blitz coaster would do the trick. They could potentially add a reverse spike mid course with a swing launch (like Pantheon at Busch gardens or Parc Asterix 2023 coaster). Obviously they can't have a reverse spike as high as the two mentioned rides, but if they dug a bit further down on the blade site they could potentially get a way with 100ft ish spike, helping give the coaster something unique to the UK market.

A mack extreme spinner I would have said would have been a great fit for a SW coaster and certainly something I could have seen the park going with had they not already got a spinning coaster and while very different, I am sure this would stop them looking at the extreme spinner. Maybe they will look at the updated Mack Big Dipper that Europa are installing for their 2023 coaster.

I know they have looked at a standup coaster in the past, but even with B&M's new surf coaster I am not sure they would do a standup with Drayton Manor being so close.

I agree that a Mack Extreme Spinner would be great, Maelstrom. Time Traveller looks amazing.

Probably wishful thinking on my part, but hoping for 2025, not 2026. JW gave me the impression that we may be looking at something new. That would be nice, but airtime and a 3 minute plus ride time would be incredible.

Having recently ridden Ride To Happiness I'm all aboard the Mack Extreme Spinner train.

It could kill two birds with one stone as well as the RtH station building has toilets in the lower part which are accessed from the plaza area (separate from the ride queue).

Its a surf coaster
I have a contact through the lighting industry who is working on a current project for AT who had been told.

We can all stand down now
Am I correct in thinking these are not thought to be standups any more but the new pull down lap bar with seat "suspension"?

Am I correct in thinking these are not thought to be standups any more but the new pull down lap bar with seat "suspension"?

I'm only joking.... I have no idea what's going on..

But my bets are either B&M Surf, Intamin Blitz or RMC Hybrid.

I do have a contact working on a lighting project at the resort though.... 😆 but they won't tell me what it is. I can only assume its Dual.

I'm only joking.... I have no idea what's going on..

But my bets are either B&M Surf, Intamin Blitz or RMC Hybrid.

I do have a contact working on a lighting project at the resort though.... 😆 but they won't tell me what it is. I can only assume its Dual.
I agree that I think SW9 will be one of those 3 coaster types. Either way I’d bet my house on it being a multi-launch coaster. I can’t believe AT doesn’t have one already given their tight planning restrictions regarding height.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.