• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TBC: SW9 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I’d love love love for the park to get a trackless dark ride in the same vein as Symbolica. That kind of ride and appeal suits the park to a T and fills an obvious void in their lineup.

Demolish the Dungeons and restaurant nextdoor and put it there. That area lacks a big draw, and being on the edge of the park is perfect for a show building.

To waste the next major CAPEX investment on another coaster would be a huge mistake.

I think if it was to go down the route of being an indoor coaster it would mean an IP was almost guaranteed. Indoor rides are IP’s pretty much without exception now.

Last edited:
Demolish the Dungeons and restaurant nextdoor and put it there. That area lacks a big draw, and being on the edge of the park is perfect for a show building.

There is plenty of edge of the park capacity without demolishing one of the only large capacity restaurants in the park.

It could go in a new building next to the old 4D theatre easily, or expand out behind there using the old Nickelodeon building as the entrance, or into the car park next to Duel.

The boat ride should stay as a boat ride just remove the Dungeons. The burger kitchen needs to be kept (and Ideally they need another similar sized indoor fast food place somewhere on the park too).

There is plenty of edge of the park capacity without demolishing one of the only large capacity restaurants in the park.

It could go in a new building next to the old 4D theatre easily, or expand out behind there using the old Nickelodeon building as the entrance, or into the car park next to Duel.

The boat ride should stay as a boat ride just remove the Dungeons. The burger kitchen needs to be kept (and Ideally they need another similar sized indoor fast food place somewhere on the park too).
Whilst you raise a good point about the restaurant, I still disagree.

Yes there is space next to the theatre, but the area around the Dungeons in particular is always deserted. Its quite set back from the path and needs a really big draw. A world-class dark ride is the perfect solution to that. Unfortunately, an old linear boat ride that just faces forwards is not going to cut it. That kind of ride system is best suited to a filler attraction these days (which they now have just next door with GG). Not to mention its slow and doesn't make very good use of the space.

As for the restaurant, maybe that could be retained or relocated? Not sure. The building looks very ugly as is (looks awful from the side), so demolishing it with the Dungeons makes sense, then the whole area can finally be done properly.

Last edited:

100% agree there’s loads of existing site options for SW9 without removing anything: coaster corner, the air car park, the space behind Duel, even potentially in the dark forest.

I hope they don’t make SW9 IP based. It needs to be an original theme that will stand the test of time. Just look what happened with Charlie - everyone was aware of it because of the newly released film, and then a few years later everyone forgot about the film and it wasn’t in the public eye, so the attraction felt a bit random.

Yes there is space next to the theatre, but the area around the Dungeons in particular is always deserted. Its quite set back from the path and needs a really big draw. A world-class dark ride is the perfect solution to that. Unfortunately, an old linear boat ride that just faces forwards is not going to cut it. That kind of ride system is best suited to a filler attraction these days (which they now have just next door with GG). Not to mention its slow and doesn't make very good use of the space.
I don't see why that area needs to draw people in. Plus putting a new dark ride next to the existing boat ride will draw more people in.
The area is only quiet at the moment as there is a pay-extra attraction there.

I don't see why that area needs to draw people in. Plus putting a new dark ride next to the existing boat ride will draw more people in.
The area is only quiet at the moment as there is a pay-extra attraction there.

In fairness, the area used to be as quiet as it is now in the later years of Toyland Tours. I always remember that being walk on all the time towards the end of it's life.

It could also be argued that seeing as Nemsis is directly the partial legacy of Nick Varney, he would have a personal motivation to want to keep it going. Aswel the the fact it is a very popular attraction.

It could also be argued that seeing as Nemsis is directly the partial legacy of Nick Varney, he would have a personal motivation to want to keep it going. Aswel the the fact it is a very popular attraction.
Nemesis never gets more than a 30 min queue nowadays. I don't class that as popularity. And people will go on about the rides throughput but it doesn't justify it having half the wait of other rides. Nemesis had the same throughput when it opened, but got 3/4 hour queues. But when the ride averagely gets a wait of 30 mins it's still just as popular??

If it never gets more than a 30 minute queue, and also gets an average 30 minute queue, that clearly means your maths is wrong!
It used to get 3 hour queues when it was the latest ride.
There have been lots of new rides since.
It still gets half hour queues, despite being the biggest queue muncher on the park.
That makes it popular, still.

As a rough guide (according to Queue-Times.com), Nemesis averages around 25 minutes and has an average high of 40 mins. Definitely the lowest queues but also the highest capacity coaster on park.

Nemesis is still clearly very popular among enthusiasts, but I’d say it’s much less popular among those outside of enthusiast circles, personally. Among non-enthusiasts, I’d wager that the two favourites these days are Smiler and Wicker Man.

I wouldn’t say it’s had as big of a drop off in popularity as the likes of Oblivion, though; I’ve had multiple occasions where I’ve walked straight onto Oblivion and they’re waiting for more people to dispatch the train, while Smiler further down the area has a queue stretching out of the pit.

I thought we ended this debate a couple of months ago when the knackered air gates meant Nemesis was getting 60 minute + queues. All because its capacity was reduced to actually being roughly in line with The Smiler, Rita, Spinball etc.

People have short memories don't they.

Well forget queue times, whenever I see the queue for nemesis there's much less people in it than other rides. Even Galactica always seems to have a lot more people waiting than nemesis

Well forget queue times, whenever I see the queue for nemesis there's much less people in it than other rides. Even Galactica always seems to have a lot more people waiting than nemesis
Another friendly reminder that Alton Towers doesn’t solely revolve around your experiences. As has been mentioned the capacity is a huge contributing factor combined with its comparative location to the entrance, which both contribute to lower wait times. I’ve seen Nemesis hit 60 minutes plenty on busy days as I’m sure others have .

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.