• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TBC: SW9 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Whatever it is, I don’t think it’ll be your typical ride. Both Chessington and Thorpe’s new coasters look like pretty crazy concepts, and are to be very original rides!

Whatever it is, I don’t think it’ll be your typical ride. Both Chessington and Thorpe’s new coasters look like pretty crazy concepts, and are to be very original rides!
I agree nothing looks like Chessington's but it looks incredibly boring, and Thorpe's looks incredibly short - I'm not sure how that fits into them being crazy concepts personally

Towers never build anything quite normal, it's not really part of there image to just build standard rollercoasters. There's a good chance it will be from B&M whatever it is, but clearly B&M are more willing to be creative recently so it really opens up loads of opportunities.

I agree nothing looks like Chessington's but it looks incredibly boring, and Thorpe's looks incredibly short - I'm not sure how that fits into them being crazy concepts personally
Perhaps “crazy” was the wrong word, but they certainly both look very distinctive.

Nothing exists quite like either of them; Chessington’s is very unique indeed, and Thorpe’s coaster has some phenomenally crazy looking elements (that first drop, and that overbank into an inversion, look nuts!) and a generally very unique layout design for a hyper.

To me, it’s become pretty evident that Merlin does not abide by the typical rulebook when designing attractions, particularly as of late.

To me, it’s become pretty evident that Merlin does not abide by the typical rulebook when designing attractions, particularly as of late.
Because as we know from John Wardley's book, when the creatives at Merlin propose something it has to have a 'killer image' and a 'tagline' it has to be able to capture people's interest immediately. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is arguable. For example with Thorpe's hyper, they would've likely been better off just getting B&M to build them a normal out and back hyper but clearly they thought it wouldn't be quite as marketable.

For example with Thorpe's hyper, they would've likely been better off just getting B&M to build them a normal out and back hyper but clearly they thought it wouldn't be quite as marketable.
That's incorrect. It's actually because they decided that the larger layout would require too many buildings to be removed.

Interestingly, I think many would disagree with a B&M Hyper having possibly been a superior choice to Exodus. I agree with you, but that seems like a minority opinion.

Many I’ve heard have said that a B&M Hyper would have been “boring” and “old hat” and that Exodus will be “undeniably the best coaster in the UK and one of the best in the world” due to how insane and unique its layout looks. It has lots of RMC-style funkiness and unique-looking twisty elements, even if it doesn’t appear to have a lot of straight airtime, and that will inevitably go down very well.

That's incorrect. It's actually because they decided that the larger layout would require too many buildings to be removed.
How do you know that? Source?
nterestingly, I think many would disagree with a B&M Hyper having possibly been a superior choice to Exodus. I agree with you, but that seems like a minority opinion.

Many I’ve heard have said that a B&M Hyper would have been “boring” and “old hat” and that Exodus will be “undeniably the best coaster in the UK and one of the best in the world” due to how insane and unique its layout looks. It has lots of RMC-style funkiness and unique-looking twisty elements, even if it doesn’t appear to have a lot of straight airtime, and that will inevitably go down very well.
Thing is a B&M hyper would've been better for Thorpe themselves. Easy to maintain, excellent capacity, standardised around the world so easy for parts and still very marketable. The general public won't care or know about RMC funkiness, Thorpe cannot relay on what coaster enthusiasts think is cool, if they were they'd have build a Mack hyper like DC rivals not a short one. They simply are interested in what they think will attract the public the best.

How do you know that? Source?

Thing is a B&M hyper would've been better for Thorpe themselves. Easy to maintain, excellent capacity, standardised around the world so easy for parts and still very marketable. The general public won't care or know about RMC funkiness, Thorpe cannot relay on what coaster enthusiasts think is cool, if they were they'd have build a Mack hyper like DC rivals not a short one. They simply are interested in what they think will attract the public the best.

Out of curiosity, what do you think makes a B&M hyper easy to maintain? What makes it easier to maintain than say a Mack coaster? I disagree with the comment, but curious as to how you got to that conclusion. Have you personally maintained them so can make that comparison?

Anyone hoping an SW9 announcement is on the cards soon, next year maybe?

Out of curiosity, what do you think makes a B&M hyper easy to maintain? What makes it easier to maintain than say a Mack coaster? I disagree with the comment, but curious as to how you got to that conclusion. Have you personally maintained them so can make that comparison?
Fair enough, I'd say because there is so many of them, they are not all that different from each other and use similar components, further to this Thorpe already have B&M's that they are used to maintaining. I agree that it wouldn't be the case for all parks however I imagine for Thorpe it would make more sense. I don't know for definite but I'd bet good money on that being the case.

I agree with @DistortAMG. As much as the B&M layout is more my cup of tea, I don’t see any reason why the Mack would be any harder to maintain than a B&M Hyper. The current Mack rides seem fairly reliable and high capacity, so I don’t see why Exodus couldn’t be the same.

Although I do see the point that @JAperson makes about the sheer quantity of B&M Hyper Coasters perhaps making them a safer bet in terms of parts.

As for SW9; I reckon we could be looking at a 2025 opening, with a planning application coming next year. That’s just a guess on my part, though; I could be very wrong!

Personally I’d think a 2025 is more likely, if we look at the timeline for Thorpe’s coaster for 2024. Plans were revealed in November, which fits JW’s hint of an announcement “in the next few weeks” or “soon”, because it would’ve been September/October by then. Judging that it’s harder to gain planning in AT, it wouldn’t surprise me if they were being cautious, especially when SW9 is going to be a mad coaster according to JW.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.