• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Tennis Discussion

Sam said:
So now he burst into tears on live television, has he showed enough emotion for you all? :p

Who wanted emotion... i wanted a smile! But seen as he had just had his arse whipped by his opponent i can forgive his lack of whimsy.

:D

What people seem to miss in the idea of people "wanting Murray to be more personable" is not the fact that Murray should change to suit anybody's whims, but more that people are entitled to not like him as a sportsman, because he doesn't meet their ideal of what a professional sports personality should be.

This is also linked into ideas that we should support someone playing a solo sport who's from our particular country, and I fail to see the logic of this. Murray doesn't play tennis for Britain, or Scotland or Dunblane, he plays for himself and for the simple determination he has to be the very best he can be for himself.

That being the case, why should I not cheer for the guy who I find more likable, skillful, good-looking or any other attribute that I particularly prioritise, irrespective of their nationality? Djokovic is engaging to watch in terms of his skill with the racquet as well as his emotion and vivacity on court. He doesn't play for Serbia either.

And just to cover things here, if Murray drew Djokovic in a Davis Cup match, who would I support? Murray, of course, as I want to see the British team win.

So:

Sam said:
So now he burst into tears on live television, has he showed enough emotion for you all? :p

Yes, Sam, it's actually gone a small way to me believing he is actually human below that dreary demeanor he usually has. After that speech, I like him a bit better, and it really can be the small things that turn around people's attitudes.

A few years ago he was outright bad-tempered, with a chip on his shoulder and a propensity for blaming other people or other factors for his own lack of fitness or lack of inclination to put the effort in whilst training. He grew up, and that started to change to the point where he became the world number 4. Today was a major waypoint on that journey he's made and I think it will signal another turn for the better in him.

Dave said:
Who wanted emotion... i wanted a smile! But seen as he had just had his arse whipped by his opponent i can forgive his lack of whimsy.

:D

There were smiles too. And even jokes.

Only just finished watching the match (didn't finish work 'til 7 and managed to hide from any scores all day!) - Murray played fantastically but the better man won. There's no way you can beat Federer when he ups his game and plays like he did today. It's more positive than any Slam final that Murray's been in before though, and he has finally shrugged off the bogey of not winning a set in a Slam final...

What a way to end a fantastic tournament!

EDIT:
Adz95 said:
In 2006, Andy Murray said that he would be supporting anyone other than England in the 2006 World Cup.

Hence why I'm supporting Federer today as much as I was supporting Tsonga on Friday. :)
That seems like an incredibly petty reason to not support somebody. He made a comment on the English football team six years ago so you still can't stand him? I assume you would be wholeheartedly and fully supporting Scotland if they qualified then? And if they qualified when England didn't I assume you would be disregarding all other teams and only following the Scots?

Adz95 said:
In 2006, Andy Murray said that he would be supporting anyone other than England in the 2006 World Cup.

Hence why I'm supporting Federer today as much as I was supporting Tsonga on Friday. :)

That quote was taken out of context. He mentioned it as a passing comment in jest responding to Henman mocking him about Scotland not making the tournament. It is what is known as "banter" - not sure if many Murray-haters understand the word. He clearly didn't mean it, and has since expressed regret about England's subsequent knockouts in tournaments.

Was at Wimbledon today (yesterday now). Had a great day. We got Court 1 tickets in the public ballot and saw the boy's final which had some great moments. Obviously disappointed with the men's result but not really surprised. Federer deserved it at the end of the day as he was playing brilliantly but Murray made him work hard. If he keeps up that kind of performance, a slam can't be too far off. He should do well at the US open as it tends to suit his playing style.

CGM said:
Was at Wimbledon today (yesterday now). Had a great day. We got Court 1 tickets in the public ballot and saw the boy's final which had some great moments. Obviously disappointed with the men's result but not really surprised. Federer deserved it at the end of the day as he was playing brilliantly but Murray made him work hard. If he keeps up that kind of performance, a slam can't be too far off. He should do well at the US open as it tends to suit his playing style.

You might not know since you won it on a ballot but what was the price to enter? It's been bugging me all day.

Also the British crowds effect on a both foreign player game at Wimbledon could be interesting. I wonder if that's one of the only sold out events! :p

I believe that to get into the grounds costs as little as £25 if you are prepared to queue for it and this allows you access to all of the smaller courts and Henman Hill. It's probably more worthwhile in the earlier stages of the championships when all of the courts are being used. Yesterday there was very little going on that wasn't on the main show courts.

Stelios, ALL show court tickets are balloted from the semi-finals (I think) on. Certainly they are for the final.

Personally, as much as it would be a once in a lifetime thing to go to the final, I love the atmosphere in the place in that first week, with all the matches on the outside courts to wander around. Queuing is definitely part of the experience too. So many great memories.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Stelios, ALL show court tickets are balloted from the semi-finals (I think) on. Certainly they are for the final.

If that's true, they're missing a trick as most of the seats in Court 1 were empty. I believe a lot of the seats on centre court are bought up by businesses for corporate events which is a shame as it prevents real tennis fans seeing the best players in the sport.

Andy Murray just won the US open!

I thought he'd lost his chance after Djokovic got it back to 2 sets all but he somehow managed to turn it around majorly in the fifth set. Excellent!

5 hours of some of the greatest tennis I have ever watched.

Simply. Amazing.

Absolutely insane game, the greatest tiebreak I've ever seen in the first set and ending with Andy's first ever grand slam FINALLY :D

Djokovic has to be credited for making that game so amazing, he just never gives up. A true champion, but then now we can say that about our own!