• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Tennis Discussion

How absolutely incredible! A wildcard pairing who decided to play together at the last minute... Who have never won a title...

Does this bear omens for tomorrow? ;)

23044374.jpg

C'mon Murray! I don't want to predict to jinx it as they are both unpredictable players!

The shaving foam salesman from Switzerland is going to win.

I know it. You know it. The nation knows it.

Murray's British, that's what we do.

Loving this match, I'm on the edge of my seat. Nice to see someone British doing well :)

I'm just wondering if Murray wins will he actually smile at all? Winning what is often considered the most prestigious Tennis tournament in the world would normally result in the smile, but i wonder if the muscles that form the human smile may have atrophied in Mr Murray...

Anyway i suppose i better support him or i may get randomly called xenophobic!

Re: Re: Tennis Discussion

Dave said:
I'm just wondering if Murray wins will he actually smile at all? Winning what is often considered the most prestigious Tennis tournament in the world would normally result in the smile, but i wonder if the muscles that form the human smile may have atrophied in Mr Murray...

He's an international sportsman, not a chat show host.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Re: Re: Tennis Discussion

Sam said:
He's an international sportsman, not a chat show host.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

I just knew that was something about Tennis that i wasn't quite getting, i wondered why they where doing all that running! Makes much more sense now.

"International laws governing sportsman require people not to make whimsical or vaguely comical (successfully or not) commentary on said sports-person. Thankfully for us though chat show hosts never received the same protections."

Sport = entertainment. Sportsmen = entertainers. I therefore don't think it's unreasonable to consider, when choosing which sports people to support, how engaging you find them as a character.

That said, smiling apart, Murray has shown a few more human, rather than robotic, characteristics in this match. He's improving.

Still prefer Federer.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

In 2006, Andy Murray said that he would be supporting anyone other than England in the 2006 World Cup.

Hence why I'm supporting Federer today as much as I was supporting Tsonga on Friday. :)

This is certainly an exciting final - you really can't say whose going to win.

Simon said:
Simon said:
I personally don't think he's got it in him either. I'd say I hope he proves me wrong, but I actually can't whip up any enthusiasm for the guy at all, so if he does prove me wrong I'll probably shrug and say "well there you are then".

Well, I think he's got a good chance of proving me wrong now. But not if Federer plays the way he did today, which is a distinctly high possibility.

As I've had to grudgingly admit to my cousin on Twitter, a Murray win would be fantastic for British tennis and inspirational for many young players.

I still want Federer to win, though. Another win and the stats prove he's the best ever. And he is the best ever.

I've changed my mind. I think he can win a Slam.

Federer is just the Champion though, isn't he?

Dave said:

What does it matter?

This Charlie Brooker piece is a rather timely riposte to those people who seem to dislike Andy Murray just because he "doesn't smile".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ust-normal

Nathan said:
What does it matter?

This Charlie Brooker piece is a rather timely riposte to those people who seem to dislike Andy Murray just because he "doesn't smile".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ust-normal

What does any of the stuff we discus on here matter? We discus, we are sometimes tongue in cheek and rarely completely outrageous. It is a commonly used part of his personality in the media and at the water-cooler and is more than likely an interesting conversational piece for those of us who don't actually give a flying-damn about tennis...

Does it matter? not that much. Do i care about Charlie Brookers opinion of me talking about it... probably about as much as Andy Murray gives a damn about what people think about his smile.

:)

So now he's burst into tears on live television, has he showed enough emotion for you all? :p