• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Tennis Discussion

Come on J-W!!!!

147810160.jpg

220px-Drapeau_de_la_France.png

John said:
So we now know the semi-finals:

Djokovic Vs Federer
Murray Vs Tsonga

I get the feeling that whoever wins the first match will win the title. Murray has a good chance of making the final (better than he would against Nadal), but Tsonga will certainly not be a pushover.
Tsonga and Murray have met at Wimbledon before, and it's never been a pushover at all. Their record in all competitions stands at 5-1 in Murray's favour, though.

I can't believe I'm saying this - but I think that this is Murray's year... for the final.

I cannot see him beating either of the other semi-finalists as he'd be under heaps of pressure which will show against Tsonga but I can see him beating him.

What a thrilling game of tennis!

Brilliant game from Murray, probably some of the best tennis I've ever seen him play. Mentally and physically he looks in excellent shape, and he refused to let himself be affected by the setback in the first set today. Credit to Ferrer though, he shouldn't be that good and yet he never gives up. I reckon he will win one of the clay Grand Slams in the next 2 years.

Murray certainly did play well today, although I can't see him beating Djokovic if they both get to the final (Which I think is the most likely scenario).

Will certainly be interesting semi finals for the men's (though I believe Djokovic has it in the bag for his match against Federer for the final). As for Murray, it'll certainly be a good match against Tsonga - and I have a small feeling he may just get into the final.

The women aren't really getting a look in in this topic, are they?

Serena Williams was just astounding yesterday, and as much as the Williams' domination of the sport got a bit boring a few years ago, I'm really glad to see her in another Final.

As technically gifted as Radwanska is, I get the feeling she's going to have a tough time against the still brutal power of the American.

Go on Serena!

Really glad to see Roger Federer win today. Would much rather see Murray go up against him in the final than Djokovic. Now let's see how he does.

Murray still has to win though and even though he's a set and a break up there's still a long way to go.

That said, a Murray-Federer final was what I was hoping for as soon as the semi finalists were known. I'd prefer to see Murray win, but if Fed wins he'd match Sampras' record at Wimbledon and return to the top of the rankings, where it would only take a couple of weeks for him to clinch the record of longest spent at #1. Seems fitting that someone who has achieved so much should be able to add that record to their tennis CV.

Andy Murray is through to the final of Wimbledon after beating Tsonga 6-3 6-4 3-6 7-5. :D

I am really impressed with the semi finals this year. Federer really gave it his all against Djokovic as did Murray against Tsonga.

Looking set to be a good final. Shame I'm working on Sunday till 4 but I'm sure I'll catch up with everything when I get in :)

Lottie. said:
Shame I'm working on Sunday till 4 but I'm sure I'll catch up with everything when I get in :)
I'm working 'til 7 :'( :'(

It's being Sky+'ed, I'm not going on the Internet all day and I'm locking myself away in my room from 7 until everyone's gone to bed so I can watch the thing...

Hopefully I won't have it spoiled.

Would like to say congratulations to andy murray it's been a long time coming

Also congrats to Britain's Jonny Marray, who's through to the men's doubles final with his partner Freddie Nielsen after beating the Bryans. Fantastic performance from them to get past such a dominant pair.

As for Murray, I'd be surprised to see him beat Federer given how impressive he was against Djokovic earlier. That's not to take anything away from Murray who's had a great run over the past two weeks. It's been a great day for British tennis all round.

Federer is on and off nowadays but Murray can do it. He'll just need a whole lotta' British spirit and no nerves.

Just don't get too overexcited as Murray is shy under pressure. He'll be sloppy to start of with, due to all the sweat before he's even whacked a ball!

But even non-tennis fans are loving it! In a year of British celebrations, it would be perfect to see Murray round off tennis' greatest feat before the pride of hosting the Olympics.

I think he has more of a chance of beating Federer than he does Djokovic. On his game, Djokovic is nearly impossible to beat - however I feel that Federer is slower across the court and has less ability to get the ball back than Djokovic, something that will suit Murray. If he keeps his first serve steady and in play, and manages to get back Federer's serve well then he will have a very good chance of winning.

Simon said:
I personally don't think he's got it in him either. I'd say I hope he proves me wrong, but I actually can't whip up any enthusiasm for the guy at all, so if he does prove me wrong I'll probably shrug and say "well there you are then".

Well, I think he's got a good chance of proving me wrong now. But not if Federer plays the way he did today, which is a distinctly high possibility.

As I've had to grudgingly admit to my cousin on Twitter, a Murray win would be fantastic for British tennis and inspirational for many young players.

I still want Federer to win, though. Another win and the stats prove he's the best ever. And he is the best ever.

We're just one game away from a Brit winning the men's doubles...