• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thatcher's dead

joshc807 said:
I can't comment on her work in Parliament as although I know some, I do not know all. Yes she has done bad things, but some have been good. However, I'm sure that we can all admire her characteristics of ambition, hard work and determinism. :)

Absolutely!!

Default to Hitler comment of the same ilk and add Pinochet in there for good order...

Workers on strike being beaten by riot police. Three million people unemployed. The distruction of worker's rights. Things that were supposed to be a service for the people being turning in to money making companies. Countless riots and violent protests by desperate, hungry people.

That is what I will remember her for. Not for winning back The Falkland Islands... and let's be honest, if she hadn't done that, she probably wouldn't have won her second election.

Alastair said:
People are hypocrites by nature. These people "celebrating" Thatcher's death are the same ones that denounce chants mocking the Hillsborough disaster at football games. Both are mocking the dead, both are morally wrong and are horrible things to do.
Let any fireworks off on November 5th recently? You're mocking the dead too.

Thatcher deserved to suffer and die for what she did to people.

TheMan said:
joshc807 said:
I can't comment on her work in Parliament as although I know some, I do not know all. Yes she has done bad things, but some have been good. However, I'm sure that we can all admire her characteristics of ambition, hard work and determinism. :)

Absolutely!!

Default to Hitler comment of the same ilk and add Pinochet in there for good order...

Alastair said:
People are hypocrites by nature. These people "celebrating" Thatcher's death are the same ones that denounce chants mocking the Hillsborough disaster at football games. Both are mocking the dead, both are morally wrong and are horrible things to do.

I disagree that those are even remotely the same, I am not mocking her death, I'd rather she'd never existed, however a group of innocent fans watching a football match who then ironically had it covered up BY THATCHER'S GOVERNMENT is not remotely the same.

The recent findings prove this beyond doubt it is disgusting.

Not even remotely similar, and I am neither a Liverpool fan, nor a Thatcher death mocker!

Jonathan said:
In terms of her policies, I didn't like her at all, but her skills in speech-making were very good, I have to confess.

Given that excuse, Hitler was good.

TheMan said:
joshc807 said:

Absolutely!!

Although it seems someone already got there first...

TheMan said:
joshc807 said:

Absolutely!!

DOH! it was only a matter of time ;)

godwins-law-9796.jpg

Alastair said:
Rob said:
I'm no political expert and I have no real opinion of Margaret Thatcher. Regardless of what she did or didn't do, some of the comments I have seen not only here but over social media do make you question society. Celebrating the death of someone who has a family who would care for her etc. You don't have to like everyone or be upset that she's died, but surely some respect should be shown? As I said I do not know much about what she did but to win three general elections she must have been doing something that a significant proportion of the population liked. I'm sure if some of us were more publicly known opinions would be formed, some negative. How would you feel if people celebrated your death?

:)

These are two completely separate events that cannot be compared. Hillsborough's victims were innocent, whose names were tarnished in death by the likes of Thatcher and The Sun. Thatcher is just one woman who personifies the policies used to destroy communities.

The comments about Thatcher's death are more comparable to that of Hugo Chavez, if anything. You had people mourn his death, but also those that detested the man.

This is horrible news, only yesterday I was saying my roof was getting drafty and in need of repair and now I hear my thatchers dead...

Sad day...

DiogoJ42 said:
TheMan said:
joshc807 said:

Absolutely!!

DOH! it was only a matter of time ;)

godwins-law-9796.jpg

Does it count if it is a deliberate act? Or does using Godwin's law ironically make it by default legit?

AshleeKel said:
These are two completely separate events that cannot be compared. Hillsborough's victims were innocent, whose names were tarnished in death by the likes of Thatcher and The Sun. Thatcher is just one woman who personifies the policies used to destroy communities.

The comments about Thatcher's death are more comparable to that of Hugo Chavez, if anything. You had people mourn his death, but also those that detested the man.

Exactly. It's ironic that the example used, was another example of Thatcher's contempt for decency!

AshleeKel said:
Alastair said:
Rob said:
I'm no political expert and I have no real opinion of Margaret Thatcher. Regardless of what she did or didn't do, some of the comments I have seen not only here but over social media do make you question society. Celebrating the death of someone who has a family who would care for her etc. You don't have to like everyone or be upset that she's died, but surely some respect should be shown? As I said I do not know much about what she did but to win three general elections she must have been doing something that a significant proportion of the population liked. I'm sure if some of us were more publicly known opinions would be formed, some negative. How would you feel if people celebrated your death?

Is there ANY justification for wanting someone to die, short of them
murdering a loved one? She was simply a PM in a difficult era and tried to do the best she could for her country. People using her mistakes as justification for wanting and celebrating her death quite frankly disgust me.

Don't know about you, but I'd consider calling Mandela a terrorist and supporting Apartheid was more than just a 'mistake'. I'd say being friends with Pinnochet and Savile more than just 'mistakes'. I'd say covering up Hillsborough was more than just a 'mistake'. I'd say going to war for political points was more than just a mistake. I'd say that the poll tax was more than just a 'mistake'. I'd say Reaganomics and deregulating the banks were more than just 'mistakes'. I'd say that destroying what was left of our mines and industry was more than just a 'mistake'. I'd say stealing milk from children was more than just a 'mistake'.

Does anyone have parents that were alive in the 70s?

I remember my dad telling me what it was like in the 70s and grim would not even begin to describe what it was like. 3 day working weeks, power cuts, strike from all side over pay rises.

British manufacturing was dieing because of the unions and how the worked. There were factories that employed hundreds more people than were needed. People used to go to work do one job (if they were not striking) then go to another one and sleep all night.

My dad worked at Triumph after he left university and it was mad the sort of bloated workforce all being paid to make cars. The work force was so bloated there was no chance for the company to make any money.
The unions controlled everything in factories and the managers could not hire or fire anyone without the union approval. You could not work in places if you were not in a union it was totally closed shop.

I am just trying to make the point that life was not all rosy before Thatcher came in. It was rubbish and hard. Dead bodies piled up, rubbish was not collected.

Just google images for the winter of discontent and see what Britain looked like.

Blaze said:
Don't know about you, but I'd consider calling Mandela a terrorist and supporting Apartheid was more than just a 'mistake'. I'd say being friends with Pinnochet and Savile more than just 'mistakes'. I'd say covering up Hillsborough was more than just a 'mistake'. I'd say going to war for political points was more than just a mistake. I'd say that the poll tax was more than just a 'mistake'. I'd say Reaganomics and deregulating the banks were more than just 'mistakes'. I'd say that destroying what was left of our mines and industry was more than just a 'mistake'. I'd say stealing milk from children was more than just a 'mistake'.

So that equals celebration of her death? Despite the fact that her political reign ended over 20 years ago?

Guy Fawkes died hundreds of years ago.

We still celebrate the death of that terrorist, so forgive me for celebrating the death of another terrorist.

Alastair said:
Blaze said:

So that equals celebration of her death? Despite the fact that her political reign ended over 20 years ago?

This is hardly new is it? The lives she ruined have a right to now celebrate if they wish, she made a fortune out of it after all!

The fact is, so many of those families have ONLY just got any kind of closure in regards to their losses. It doesn't take a great deal to understand how people will feel a relief and sense of celebration over it, much like anyone does after being targeted by a specific individuals policies to that degree!

It isn't a tax rise we are talking about here, it is someone who supported a genocidal dictator, covered up a mass death here, and did untold damage to millions of people!

I am not one for mocking or celebrating a death and I will not join in, neither will I condone it - but given the circumstances, I have FAR more empathy with those who suffered at her hands and I certainly understand it and will not be condemning anyone for their emotional release today!

RESPECT is earned, NOT demanded.

Blaze said:

We still celebrate the death of that terrorist, so forgive me for celebrating the death of another terrorist.

I give up.

Re: Re: Thatcher's dead

Blaze said:

We also still celebrate Easter and Jesus died long before him!

I find it quite weird how people who weren't actually born, or were too young to understand what was going on, are taking her time in government so personally that they go as far as to want to 'dance on her grave' or 'throw a party'. I find it very strange how you can take something that you didn't experience so personally, as you don't know exactly how people felt at this time. I can understand young people who have researched some of her failures forming an opinion and maybe not liking her much, but the level of personal hatred shown is somewhat bizarre.

On the other hand, anyone who did live through her period in charge I can completely understand any personal feelings and displays of anger.

There's no point celebrating Thatcher's death, her crippling legacy is stronger than ever.

Similarly, in this case I'm unwilling to even celebrate her oft-touted qualities of individualism and self-belief, as they're the extreme delusions that lead the whole country down the garden path.

BarryZola said:
I find it quite weird how people who weren't actually born, or were too young to understand what was going on, are taking her time in government so personally that they go as far as to want to 'dance on her grave' or 'throw a party'. I find it very strange how you can take something that you didn't experience so personally, as you don't know exactly how people felt at this time. I can understand young people who have researched some of her failures forming an opinion and maybe not liking her much, but the level of personal hatred shown is somewhat bizarre.

On the other hand, anyone who did live through her period in charge I can completely understand any personal feelings and displays of anger.

I only hate her as much as I do because of the Hillsborough cover up. Just because someone wasn't around then doesn't mean their opinion is worthless.