• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Asylum "offensive to the mentally ill"

Jables

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Stormforce 10
Recently there's been some controversy over the scare maze at Thorpe Park, some people think it is offensive towards the disabled, that its a "holocaust scare maze" that it's based on "HIV sufferers? What are you guys' opinion?

Personally I think The Asylum is not meant to be offensive nor should it be considered offensive. It plays on people's fears and people are scared of psychotic murderers. It's obvious The Asylum is not meant to depict any real people or events. So why be offended? Why is The Sanctuary fine and The Asylum isn't? They're both based on the same sort of theme. Anyway, discuss.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

It's clearly not there to offend anyone. It's been there for a number of years now and there never seems to have been a problem before. Just another case of the media being over sensitive I imagine, as is the case with many things at the moment.

:)

Is being easily offended fashionable now then? That's the only way I can see it making sense for anyone to find that scaremaze seriously offensive.

Adam said:
Is being easily offended fashionable now then? That's the only way I can see it making sense for anyone to find that scaremaze seriously offensive.

Evidently it is yes. Hence the whole Roy Hodgson space money joke thing last week which really bugged me. But that's another story. The world is just going totally mad.

:)

Hasn't The Asylum been at Thorpe for 8 years now? Not seeing how this has suddenly become a problem?

I haven't heard of anyone being particularly offended by The Asylum. Has there been some kinda controversy I've missed?

Anyway, I have a lot of easily offended friends on Facebook (the kind that think 'stupid' is ableist), and have yet to see any of them mention this. They're normally on the ball with finding things to be offended about.

If someone finds something about The Asylum particularly offensive, so long as they explain why I'll listen to them. But all I can gather from this thread is people find it offensive just 'because'. That kind of attitude is inherently damaging to the disabled movement because it produces the image that these are people who are offended by life itself.

When it comes to the papers stories that are about being easily offended.
Three words

'Slow News Day'

The issue seems to of come to fruition when someone posted on Thorpe Parks FB page about how 'offended' they were by The Asylum and the supposed references to the mentally ill etc.

Apparently they had seen an article about Thorpes Fright Nights on Daybreak I think it was, (I would assume Fright Nights was shown as part of of a wider article about scare attractions? Just an assumption as I never watch said program!) and this is where said person gleaned their information from.

I guess something else that gets blown out of all proportion. Though most replies to the original FB post were pointing out how long The Asylum had been there and had had no major complaints before (from those who had visited!!)

Here's the BBC news article about it all

And to quote one section from the above article :-

A petition organised by Katie Sutton, a mental health nursing student at the University of Salford, has attracted more than 200 signatures.
'Absolutely horrified'

Miss Sutton said she first became aware of the maze through Twitter.

So,somebody else who has never actually visited said attraction. :0

Jables said:
that it's based on "HIV sufferers?

What? HIV sufferers. How has that got anything to do with being mental? Also I find how people who have never even been in or seen the inside of the maze can form an opinion of it, pretty ridiculous. As most people can see it is a bit of halloween fun. Not meant to offend anyone in any way.

I've never done this maze before, but what a ridiculous thing to comment on. And there is no way to protest the stupidity because there aren't any comment buttons on the article or petition. Some people irritate me beyond belief, if you don't like it, then don't go through it. Seriously.

There seems to be no basis for the 'HIV' and 'Holocaust' mentioned in Jables initial post, no idea where he got that from.

While this is obviously a bit misguided, it's well-intentioned and the prejudice against people with mental health difficulties is a real problem.

He mentioned that because they were the woman's initial arguments.

"Would you be okay with a HIV themed attraction or a Holocaust one? So why is a mental illness deemed maze acceptable", or something along those lines.

I stepped into her argument on Twitter saying that there's a thing called Freedom of Expression, and how we can't go around censoring everything that upsets somebody and she replied with. "Oh yes, the freedom of expression excuse. The usual excuse for rapists and racists."
It was a serious WTF? moment.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

She's probably exasperated because she has to argue simple points with people like you. ::)

Yes of course Thorpe have freedom of expression. That's obvious, and that's not the issue. The issue is about whether this is ethically right or wrong.

Nobody is saying they don't have a legal right to build a maze themed around mental illness. Just because they have a right to do so doesn't necessarily mean it is the right thing to do. ::)

Re: The Asylum "offensive to the mentally ill"

Sam said:
She's probably exasperated because she has to argue simple points with people like you.

What the hell do you mean by "people like you"?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Stevie said:
Sam said:
She's probably exasperated because she has to argue simple points with people like you.

What the hell do you mean by "people like you"?
People who derail a legitimate debate with a painfully obvious logical fallacy, as I just outlined.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

While this is obviously a bit misguided, it's well-intentioned and the prejudice against people with mental health difficulties is a real problem.

It's true that mental illness is so badly stigmatised in our society, and that's why trivial arguments like this from activists are so frustrating. There's many better causes to use time and energy on. What's more, if you find something offensive, do some real research and don't flip out the second you hear about something. Make an argument about WHY its wrong, and use that to fight for good. Don't be lazy and just say "This is offensive because it is".

Stevie said:
I stepped into her argument on Twitter saying that there's a thing called Freedom of Expression, and how we can't go around censoring everything that upsets somebody and she replied with. "Oh yes, the freedom of expression excuse. The usual excuse for rapists and racists."
It was a serious WTF? moment.

The problem with the 'freedom of expression' argument is that it doesn't really answer anything. People have the right to express themselves in a way they see fit (say, Thorpe and The Asylum), and others are also free to critisise these actions (this person and her campaign). It's a moot point.

That being said, I haven't heard anyone use 'freedom of expression' to excuse rape. Racism yes, but not rape.

Sam said:
There seems to be no basis for the 'HIV' and 'Holocaust' mentioned in Jables initial post, no idea where he got that from.

While The Asylum dosent help the situation, I don't think it worsens it. However this whole asylums are dangerous and terrifying concept, came out of old fantastical films and literature, not Thorpe Parks unoriginal scare maze. To be honest the whole outdated stereotype of "insane" people being dangerous should burn in hell.

Re: The Asylum "offensive to the mentally ill"

alee298 said:
Jables said:
that it's based on "HIV sufferers?

What? HIV sufferers. How has that got anything to do with being mental? Also I find how people who have never even been in or seen the inside of the maze can form an opinion of it, pretty ridiculous. As most people can see it is a bit of halloween fun. Not meant to offend anyone in any way.

According to them, the actors chase you with needles? (I'd never know cause I haven't been) but yes. Even inanimate objects are enough to offend

Surely, if we're going to get technical about it, there are hundreds of films that should also be banned in that case. For example, the brilliance that is Psycho, as it deems those mentally ill to be psychotic maniacs with dual personalities. Texas Chainsaw Massacre would also have to be banned because Leatherface is mentally unstable and this is shown in the film by the way he murders people and uses their skins for decoration.

If one should be removed from the public for its portrayal of mental health issues, then so should all the others. We can't be making exceptions.

It is just a play on a cliche film/horror subject.

I have my first article being published in a mental health magazine in December. There are real issues that people who are struggling with mental illnesses suffer in every day life. I would be very hard pressed to say a Halloween horror maze contributes to that.

Completely out of context, by someone who has not even experienced the context!

Now the labeling of costumes in Asda/Tesco etc, that I am far more on the fence/unsure of. But as Tarin so eloquently points out

Tarin Maria said:
Surely, if we're going to get technical about it, there are hundreds of films that should also be banned in that case.

She is absolutely spot on. You may as well dismiss the majority of horror films, bar for zombies/aliens, as it is quite blatantly obvious that NO ONE commits atrocities without some kind of mental health issue.

People like that stroppy madame make things WORSE, because they make a cause with credibility sound whiny, and takes away focus from the real everyday issues that people suffer.