• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Brexit Thread

@Dave I think that's true to an extent, but it doesn't necessarily get you as far down the path as @rob666 perhaps fears. If anything, 180 years of history and tradition keeps that sort of thing in check. The Tory party of today isn't particularly different to how it was a few decades ago - it seems to oscillate between two points.

For me, on balance, the EU has been a pretty good barrier to the far right gaining traction. If you rewind a number of the countries in the EU by 80 years, politics has become more progressive in most of them.

Until now, elections are pretty much won in the centre - I've not seen much evidence that is changing, but I think Brexit could potentially do that. Maybe.

With Johnson, the comparisons to Trump are a little overdone. One that is fair is the messaging as I touched on yesterday, the other is that I really don't think he or Trump believe in very much. They're in power for power's sake, rather than to change anything. The far right are the opposite, they really believe in stuff which ultimately drives them to do things - heinous or otherwise.

They have other policies?
They're a limited company without any sort of democratic mechanism, they can have whatever they want!

Yep. Tories will win. Get a majority government so they can vote through what they want and get Brexit done.
If Boris hasn’t already get the deal through before the election that is.
Either way. Winner winner chicken dinner :)

Does anybody believe an election is going to break the Brexit impasse?
I guess it could. A lot moving parts. Depends on what sort alliance the remain parties pull together and how much the Brexit party could harm the Tories.

That video Labour has dropped everywhere is pretty good. Not sure it'll be enough though.

Yep. Tories will win. Get a majority government so they can vote through what they want and get Brexit done.
You're quoting Cummings lines before the campaign has even started! Vladimir?

Maybe we are doomed.

Last edited:
My constituency is almost certainly going to be Tory or SNP. I don't support Scottish independence. How is that in any way democratic? General elections are about far more than Brexit!

My constituency is almost certainly going to be Tory or SNP. I don't support Scottish independence. How is that in any way democratic? General elections are about far more than Brexit!
It's democratic because most of the people where you live have decided that that's the way they would like to vote. Stop acting so entitled. People are allowed to vote differently to you. If it was up to you people would only be able to vote the way you like it and only be allowed to travel around on trains.

It's democratic because most of the people where you live have decided that that's the way they would like to vote. Stop acting so entitled. People are allowed to vote differently to you. If it was up to you people would only be able to vote the way you like it and only be allowed to travel around on trains.
It's not "entitled" to criticise the FPTP system. If you live in a safe seat, your vote is wasted. Nothing to do with wanting everyone to vote the same way as me - I just want a system that fairly represents what the public think, which I don't think FPTP does.

We don’t want Labour and Jeremy Corbyn in power. It be worst than how it was under Gordon Brown.
I don't want a Corbyn government either - but to be fair, under Gordon Brown we had much less national deficit than we do now, and public services weren't woefully underfunded.

Corbyn won’t win outright and I am fairly certain Johnson won’t get a majority.

I can see Lib Dem’s getting the remainer vote which I will really screw up Boris’s plans. It could be interesting if we get a hung Parliament. Maybe a Labour / Lib Dem coalition leading to another referendum?

I don't want a Corbyn government either - but to be fair, under Gordon Brown we had much less national deficit than we do now, and public services weren't woefully underfunded.

The dirty secret is that Blair and Brown built all the new schools and hospitals on a buy now pay later PFI system. I work at a hospital that was PFI contracted and it's cots hundreds of pounds to change a lightbulb and the contract is something like 50 years. For the amount it costs in total for 1 hospital we could have had 20-30 new hospitals....

The dirty secret is that Blair and Brown built all the new schools and hospitals on a buy now pay later PFI system.
Oh sure, PFI was a terrible idea - but aside from capital expenditure on infrastructure, there was non PFI funded investment into things like the police force, youth services, mental health, the libraries - I mean, since 2010 libraries have cut more than 6,000 publicly accessible computers. Amid a push to make more government services available online only, that’s actually a real issue for older people or those on JSA who don’t have access to a computer or the internet at home.

Like I say, not everything was perfect in the Blair/Brown era - PFI is just one of a number of issues. BUT the economics of austerity just don’t make sense. We’ve spent a decade chronically underfunding front line services and cutting public spending, and what do we have to show for it? Massively more national debt than ever before, and a whole host of societal issues which disproportionately affect lower income families. Just look at the knife crime situation - this is exactly what happens when you cut police numbers AND reduce youth services, so there’s nothing for kids to do in the evenings, nobody to mentor them, and nobody to spot when they’re heading for trouble. Grenfell is another example: chronically underfund the fire service by closing fire stations, and more people are going to burn to death needlessly.

I mean, even if we’d slashed the national deficit, I’m not sure Tory austerity is worth it... but they haven’t even managed that.

Can't see anyone getting a majority, especially as we're not leaving (another £100m down the drain for the marketing campaign telling us to get ready for something no one knew how to), so the Tory votes might get pinched by Brexit Party...

Don't know why parties are putting together manifestos, the majority of people will be voting on Brexit lines, rather than the actually important stuff...

The Tories will definitely get a majority. Without Scotland, Labour just don’t have the numbers, even without adding their pitiful stance on Brexit into the mix - I mean, is anyone actually clear what Corbyn’s policy is? Negotiate a new deal, then campaign against that deal by promoting remain in a new referendum?? :confused1:

My money is on another hung parliament and a continuation of the current problems.

My concern is people will treat it the election as a referendum and vote solely on a single issue without considering the party's other policies. I don't really want the Tory government to continue damaging our public services for a further 5 years.

I think this could be a good election for the parties that have a more extreme stance on Brexit; I could see the Conservatives and the Brexit Party both doing quite well, but I could also see this being very good for the Liberal Democrats now that they are effectively the Remain party. If this election is being fought almost entirely on Brexit, then I think it could get very interesting! I feel like Labour could also have something up their sleeves, however, as Corbyn really surprised people in the 2017 election!

I'm unable to vote, but if I could, I think I'd vote for the Liberal Democrats.

I personally can’t see the Brexit party doing well in a general election - they’re basically UKIP, and UKIP only ever had like two MPs, even at their most successful. Now that Brexit is practically a done deal, I doubt a majority of people will vote for a single issue party with no history - particularly set against the spectre of a Jeremy Corbyn led government.

I can't see things being good for labour here. The majority of labour voters on the whole are remain. Labour have no clear stance on Brexit so I can forsee them hemorrhage voters to the firm remain lib Dems, hence the extreme reluctantly of the labour party to support the call for an election

I’m hopping boris gets the deal through before the election, then the Lib Dem’s are completely screwed :tearsofjoy:
Also means parties can actually campaign on more important issues