• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Brexit Thread

The irony of course is that as a member, we could steer anything that we didn't like the look of, or even the nuclear option of using our veto. As non-members the EU can change laws that are to the detriment of the UK and we're stuck with them.

The irony of course is that as a member, we could steer anything that we didn't like the look of, or even the nuclear option of using our veto. As non-members the EU can change laws that are to the detriment of the UK and we're stuck with them.
well no as we are no longer a member of the EU we can show them two fingers and do our own thing. let them all self implode, least they wont take us down with them

The toffs at the top want a EU union,. a super state.
anyone can see that
The richer nations dominate over the poorer
EU nations fear domination and will align to prevent it ...
o_O
where have we seen that before...
oh history teaches us, the first half of the twentieth century

There is already suggestion that Boris could ditch promises to protect workers rights and environmental protection after Brexit

Well Sally-Ann Hart release one of tory ideas early
"people with learning disabilities should be paid less than minimum wage as they don’t understand money”.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Well Sally-Ann Hart release one of tory ideas early
"people with learning disabilities should be paid less than minimum wage as they don’t understand money”.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk
@RoyJess reading more into the comment disabled people should be paid less

was taken from
The article was written by Rosa Monckton, who argued her daughter, who has Down's Syndrome, wanted to work but "employers are not charities, and it is difficult for them to employ people if their output amounts to a loss".

She argued for a "therapeutic exemption" from the minimum wage so people with learning disabilities could benefit from work while employers did not have to pay them the minimum wage.

The author, who runs a disabilities charity, also said her daughter has no understanding of money but "they want to work so as to have a fulfilling and purposeful life".
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/03/the-minimum-wage-denies-my-daughter-the-dignity-of-a-paid-job/

I watched it when it was first made and it pretty much confirmed all my issues with the EU + lots of other stuff I had never even heard of.
Even though it's an hour long, I would highly recommend finding the time to watch it.

I would still reccomend trying to watch this video.

Anyway,
I have noticed that the leave argument and the remain argument, largely seem to be 2 separate arguments rather than opposing sides of the same argument.
The remain argument is one of pragmatism while the leave argument is one of sovereignty.
While some leave arguments can be made on the grounds of pragmatism, (just like some remain arguments can be made on sovereignty)the main bulk of the leave side seems to be based off of the principle of sovereignty rather than pragmatism.
Anyway that's not what I'm posting for.

Here are my full list of reasons for voting leave at the time (at least, the ones I can remember)

In no particular order...
1 – the EU seems to be unequal in its treatment of member states.
*2 – the EU army.
*3 – the EU seems to be attempting to build an empire.
4 – immigration.
*5 – the EU seems to be undemocratic and un-reformable.
6 – I simply think that the UK would be more prosperous outside of the EU.
*7 – the EU seems to be economically unstable.
8 – the European Arrest warrant.
The ones marked with * I feel are sufficient justified in the below videos.

I think I have located the exact set of videos that pushed me over the line from undecided, to leave... while they are made by a person (I'm assuming) most of you would probably consider to be evil. I regardless, think that there is value in watching these, they might just be an angry alt right ranting about nothing
(I disagree on that) but either way, these are the arguments I voted leave on...

VVV This one is my main reasoning VVV

Regardless of if you agree with these videos or not, these were my reasoning for voting leave at the time. I watched them and decided that based on my own experience and the lack of any sufficient disproof (that i could see) the points made in these videos appeare to be correct.

In no particular order...
1 – the EU seems to be unequal in its treatment of member states.
*2 – the EU army.
*3 – the EU seems to be attempting to build an empire.
4 – immigration.
*5 – the EU seems to be undemocratic and un-reformable.
6 – I simply think that the UK would be more prosperous outside of the EU.
*7 – the EU seems to be economically unstable.
8 – the European Arrest warrant.
The ones marked with * I feel are sufficient justified in the below videos.

1 - contributions and cultures are also different between states. We have largely requested over the years to remain more separate than other countries (regarding currency in particular).

2 - not happening

3 - I'm not entirely sure what building an empire means. We are not a colony of the EU, by any stretch of the imagination. We are free to create our own laws, veto EU laws, vote from within the EU. It's a trade bloc first, and aligning our rules is the easiest way to trade with other countries. Some countries have clawed to get into the EU, however there remains strict and difficult measures and negotiations to get into the EU. If it was an empire they would be conquering, not refusing turkey because of its cultural (including human rights here) differences.

5 - what have they done with is undemocratic? Unlike WTO, only democracies can be a part of the EU. Laws are passed by European Parliament (for which we elect MEPs) and the European Council, where every member state sends a minister.

6 - how will the UK prosper because more restrictions / frictions / costs have been added for trade with our biggest trading partners? Even if we get a deal with other outside countries it's likely to not be as good as the one the EU has with those countries as we hold less leverage. Therefore the only way that business with prosper is by lowering worker rights and product standards, both of which mean average people (workers and consumers) will be loosing out.

7 - the EU has weathered the global financial crisis where not only banks fell but countries too (Greece, Spain and italy) without the EU support there could have been far worse consequences, which might have led to further disasters. While productivity is currently low growth, I don't see that as being particularly unstable. (Brexit is a spanner in the works, it's the literal definition of instability).

8 - Extradition is common around the world, and surely reducing complexity and time in these cases is okay? I'm fine with criminals being arrested generally.

So it now looks like the Withdrawal Agreement will have an amendment preventing the transitional phase from being extended beyond December 2020. That seems a slightly reckless position to take, because it means if the trade deal is almost ready but not finalised then we'll just drop out onto WTO rules instead of just extending enough to see it through. Did Boris Johnson not get the memo? You won, you don't need to play silly political games any more.

The gains the Pound made when the election results came in are now being rapidly undone by the government already and we're not even a week in...

gbpusd-20191217.png