• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Brexit Thread

I also agree that this reasoning is dumb...I was just trying to explain the thought behind it.
The reason I want Big Ben to chime, is because I think it would act as a good symbolic gesture to help bring the country together...

If it cost £100 to chime big ben to celebrate Brexit, then i say why not.
As it going to cost half a million i say why chime big ben. When you can do a fireworks display for less and people will enjoy the show.
(For the record, remainer that accepted we lost the vote)

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

If people reeeaaalllly want to hear some meaningless "bongs" coming out of an ugly* old gothic tower covered in scaffolding, could they not just hire a couple of speakers and play a recording?

* Controversial, I know, but I've always found the exterior of the whole Palace of Westminster to be butt-fugly.

The way I see it, no one really cares about hearing it, they just care that it happens...just as a cultural thing...its the exact same reason we "wasted" all that money to set off Big Ben on new years eve, we could have just played a recording over a loud speaker...but that would be wrong....

Of course I "get" that people want to hear the actual bell, not a recording. But the only reason I can think of to not "fake it", is the outrage that would ensue when people inevitably found out. :p
(So the logical solition there is to be honest upfront about it and not pretend it's the real bell.)

I also agree that this reasoning is dumb...I was just trying to explain the thought behind it.
The reason I want Big Ben to chime, is because I think it would act as a good symbolic gesture to help bring the country together...

If you think hearing a bell is going to pull this fractured country together you have really drank the coolaid.

Nothing will change, there will still be a 50/50 split in the country and because of the gloating by the government that’s only going to intensify. Especially now some of the realities are starting to be drip fed into the media.

Moronic bell ringing will not cure the ills of this country.

I assume that your speaking from a remainers perspective...and it is a valid point, but try and see it from a leavers perspective...

It has been 3 years since the government agreed to leave, but instead of leaving, we just watched parliament rally against it's own people and rush through laws that actively damage our own position simply because they didn't get their way...they have been trying any dirty method they can to stop us leaving, and now...finally, the whole country almost, has come together to elect one of the few people who will actually let us leave...and soon, that process will finally start for (what seems to be) real this time...

For any leaver, is this not a victory worth celebrating (given the circumstance)?

from a remainers perspective we watched the following:

- An illegal leave campaign get away with it.
- Lies about the EU spread by the MSM.
- Promises made by leave dropped the day after the referendum (we where meant to stay in the customs union, no border in the Irish Sea, land of milk and honey instead we got a £200 billion hit to our economy, no regulatory divergence when now the government is doing the opposite).

So the country is fractured, it will remain fractured and that unfortunately is that. The politicians where trying to prevent this country doing harm to itself, now we just have to watch as it plunges a knife into its own back.

Has there been any information on how the European grant system will be replaced? The EU invested billions every year in towns across the breadth of the country. In my home town these have gone towards ocean research, renewable energy businesses and schools and colleges.

I'm worried that we've not heard anything about the replacements of these grants, and worried that the R&D might stop if the money runs dry? The community support some of the investment provided might stop?

I still can't shake the cliff edge feeling. I know we have the implementation period but there has been very little talk.

Even replacing all of the EU agencies which we'll need to provide ourselves now is a mammoth task.

Has there been any information on how the European grant system will be replaced? The EU invested billions every year in towns across the breadth of the country. In my home town these have gone towards ocean research, renewable energy businesses and schools and colleges.

I'm worried that we've not heard anything about the replacements of these grants, and worried that the R&D might stop if the money runs dry? The community support some of the investment provided might stop?

I still can't shake the cliff edge feeling. I know we have the implementation period but there has been very little talk.

Even replacing all of the EU agencies which we'll need to provide ourselves now is a mammoth task.

i wouldn’t hold your breath that the government has thought this through. We live in a country where apparently just “believing very hard” gets results......

Comes out of that £350m we save surely?

Did strike me as interesting how back after the initial referendum areas who voted Leave (e.g. Cornwall) enquired if they would have these grants covered by the UK government. Because some of these areas do need them to survive.

In Vienna as we depart. It did make me die a little inside as I breezed through the automated passport gates at the airport, while simultaneously gazing toward the Non-EU queue with a posted wait of 45 mins. Operations that Merlin might have been proud of.

More convinced than ever it's a backward step, hoping we make the most of it.

Am I the only one watching the disrespectful behaviour Farage and his Brexit party (and a few others) in the EU parliament a disgrace and don't certainly make me feel proud to be British at the moment.
I started watching. And had to turn it off, due to the Brexit party MEP behaviour.

To call it disrespectful is an understatement.

Last edited:
Reading the UK Government's Brexit guidance, it looks like they've already made up their mind on some things. Instead of saying "you may need" they are saying "you will need" for these items...
  • You will need 6 months left on your passport
  • If driving, you will need an International Driving Licence
  • If taking your own car, you will need a Green Card (apply 1 month in advance) and a GB sticker
  • If taking pets, the pet passport scheme will be invalid. See your vet 4 months in advance of travel
  • You will not be guaranteed free mobile roaming
But at least we're taking control... How wonderful.

Reading the UK Government's Brexit guidance, it looks like they've already made up their mind on some things. Instead of saying "you may need" they are saying "you will need" for these items...
  • You will need 6 months left on your passport
  • If driving, you will need an International Driving Licence
  • If taking your own car, you will need a Green Card (apply 1 month in advance) and a GB sticker
  • If taking pets, the pet passport scheme will be invalid. See your vet 4 months in advance of travel
  • You will not be guaranteed free mobile roaming
But at least we're taking control... How wonderful.

Honestly, it's a tragedy.

I say that without exaggeration and I truly mean it.

I just feel sad.

I think Scotland will leave the UK now. After spending last weekend in Edinburgh, that thought makes me even more sad.

I think Scotland will leave the UK now.

The way the Scottish MEP was talking i think a referendum on Scotland leaving the UK is on the cards now.

She was respectful to the assembled MEP's and asked them to leave a light on for Scotland.