• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Future of Skyride

I think the hire fees for scooters should be waived this year. Would be a good gesture, even if they double the deposit.
Just had a response to my complaint... generic... regarding the skyride.
I have put your suggestion to them regarding waiving the scooter charges for the year.
I have asked for a response before season opening, so I can plan my world tour of Britain.
Just need to sort stilts and a goose harness now, and I'm sorted.

Waiving the scooter charge is actually a good idea, however there are a few issues with that...

1- This is merlin we're talking about 🤑
2- There is only a limited supply of scooters
3- Said scooters are actually hired by the park from a company for the season. Don't know how much or which company though.

Waiving the scooter charge is actually a good idea, however there are a few issues with that...

1- This is merlin we're talking about 🤑
2- There is only a limited supply of scooters
3- Said scooters are actually hired by the park from a company for the season. Don't know how much or which company though.

I'm sure the cost of hiring a fleet of scooters doesn't even register as a blip on the bottom line.

They could get sponsorship...
Towers Soopa Scooters, with waterproof seats...brought to you by Tena Pants.
Could even be a worlds first.

WARNING! Very negative post incoming:

I hate to say that the clear lack of preventative maintenance and actual car over the last few years is becoming really evident. It isn't just through these ride closures, but the general upkeep of the site (including the gardens and the Towers). Even 'new' areas like David Williams is looking like it hasn't had any love in half a decade.

Look at the reliability last season - it was shocking. Wickerman (the newest coaster), Smiler, Air and Thirteen all have had fairly persistent issues. How long has the Monorail been hanging on by a thread? The ride areas are not in a good state either.

The TLC project papered over the cracks - but that paper is coming away. I have no doubt that Towers has the intent to deal with these issues, but realistically how much will it cost? And given issues with supply of parts, how long could it take? I hate to say, but is Hex and SkyRide could be the tip of the iceberg.

I love Towers. Towers should be the best park in the UK by a country mile. It isn't.

Don’t think this is a negative post, it’s exactly what happened under Varney.

I agree with your full post, but my point is that the current state of the park and attractions is indicating that they are not.

I don’t think we know the “current state of the park” as it’s closed. But I think even if they planned to fix every issue we think they have it wasn’t going to happen in one closed season.

So do I.
Shame they couldn't be a bit more honest over a very lengthy, detailed complaint.
Customer service at the Towers stinks.

Don’t think they expected it to close in 2024 but I think they knew there where issues which is why they wouldn’t commit to a date for you.

If they expected it to be closed this season they would have left the new signs until next closed season as now they will just weather.

Just had a response to my complaint... generic... regarding the skyride.
I have put your suggestion to them regarding waiving the scooter charges for the year.
I have asked for a response before season opening, so I can plan my world tour of Britain.
Just need to sort stilts and a goose harness now, and I'm sorted.

They won’t do that as it’s not an aid to travel around the park in their eyes and they never want it to be. If they offer free scooters instead they are effectively declaring it a mobility aid and that would cause them legal issues.

It’s one of those quirks of the law that makes doing the right thing impossible as if the skyride was legally a mobility aid then they would need to build a second one for redundancy and never be allowed to dispose of it. Which they won’t do.

Can't say I'm surprised by this news, the parks core infrastructure has been neglected over the past decade it was bound to bite them in the arse eventually.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Frankensteins Monorail when that inevitably needs a fortune spending on it.

What do you mean when the monorail needs a fortune spending. It already does. Crap stations, rotten trains. It needs a total rebuild.

Don’t think this is a negative post, it’s exactly what happened under Varney.

I don’t think we know the “current state of the park” as it’s closed. But I think even if they planned to fix every issue we think they have it wasn’t going to happen in one closed season.

Don’t think they expected it to close in 2024 but I think they knew there where issues which is why they wouldn’t commit to a date for you.

If they expected it to be closed this season they would have left the new signs until next closed season as now they will just weather.

They won’t do that as it’s not an aid to travel around the park in their eyes and they never want it to be. If they offer free scooters instead they are effectively declaring it a mobility aid and that would cause them legal issues.

It’s one of those quirks of the law that makes doing the right thing impossible as if the skyride was legally a mobility aid then they would need to build a second one for redundancy and never be allowed to dispose of it. Which they won’t do.

I'm not going round in the circles again, but it really doesn't matter what the company "think" the attraction is.
It is an aid to travel, and has been for decades, whatever the corporation want to think.
Not clear cut in law under the Equality Act regarding indirect discrimination...
needs to be clarified in case law.
I can't be arsed, but others now might.
It has been a bit of a shambles all round.
I'm happy to limp.
Edit...They could simply offer the scooters without charge as an offer as goodwill, without liability, using id and an increased deposit.

I'm not going round in the circles again, but it really doesn't matter what the company "think" the attraction is.
It is an aid to travel, and has been for decades, whatever the corporation want to think.
Not clear cut in law under the Equality Act regarding indirect discrimination...
needs to be clarified in case law.
I can't be arsed, but others now might.
It has been a bit of a shambles all round.
I'm happy to limp.

No but it matters how they “treat” it. Precedence is the key and they won’t set any precedence that gives the argument of mobility aid any weight:

The argument of mobility aid already carries great weight, clearly, with thirty years of use by disabled and less mobile customers.
However they try to hang it.
To withdraw that support, without fair notice or reasonable alternatives, is exactly what indirect discrimination focuses on under the act.
However they "treat" it or consider "precedence".
That would be for a court to decide, not us.
I am affected more than others because of my technical disability.
To charge me an extra twenty five pounds (has that gone up as well this year?), from an organisation that considers itself a champion of accessibility to all customers, is a bit shit.

What do you mean when the monorail needs a fortune spending. It already does. Crap stations, rotten trains. It needs a total rebuild.
I think they could do this without major stopages in the service as they could replace the trains during the season and then the stations could be done during the off season.

If free hire is an issue, it could be reduce to a peppercorn rent for the year

I really, really do not see the fact it was painted as an indication they planned to open it this year it certainly is not a waste of money either.

The stations were grubby, they needed re painting to help present the park better. The fact the ride is open or closed is irrelevant to making buildings in the park look presentable to guests.

Infact you hardly see the exterior of the buildings when queuing or in the ride. It is the guests passing by who see the rundown building, they would see it in the same state be it open or closed.

Last edited:
I really, really do not see the fact it was painted as an indication they planned to open it this year it certainly is not a waste of money either.

The stations were grubby, they needed re painting to help present the park better. The fact the ride is open or closed is irrelevant to making buildings in the park look presentable to guests.

Infact you hardly see the exterior of the buildings when queuing or in the ride. It is the guests passing by who see the rundown stage, they would see it in the same state be it open or closed.

I agree on the painting front. But installing new signage on the TS station? Adding it to the 2024 park map? Those feel like strong indications it was planned to open this year.

I agree on the painting front. But installing new signage on the TS station? Adding it to the 2024 park map? Those feel like strong indications it was planned to open this year.

I guess you are right yeah. I would have thought the signs would be left off actually.

However I still think the painting is a good idea open or closed. Presentation of the park is everything.

Last edited:

Infact you hardly see the exterior of the buildings when queuing or in the ride. It is the guests passing by who see the rundown stage, they would see it in the same state be it open or closed.
I would argue it dose quite a bit, as if they paint it now there is no point as no one is going near it and the paint will fade and get dirty. From memory the only station you fully see is the dark forest as Forbiden valley and tower street stations are mostly out of the way and you only see when either going to the toilet or riding the sky ride.

Edit...They could simply offer the scooters without charge as an offer as goodwill, without liability, using id and an increased deposit.
Merlin management meeting:
"Sad news... we hoped to have the SkyRide operating this season, unfortunately we have had to push it back until next season"
"That's unfortunate. How will people who use it to get around be supported?"
"Don't be concerned, we have electric mobility scooters we rent out. There isn't nearly enough, but we can just blame guests for not booking them in advance"
"Great. Are they free or do we charge?"
"We charge £25... but we could wave that for the season..."
"Don't be daft. How much could we get away with increasing the cost? £30, £40, £50? More?"
"You can't do that! People have literally no other option."
"Of course we can, we have just increased parking 66% and there is no other way of actually getting here."