• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Future of Skyride

Bianca’s got a big job on her hands.

I think it’s clear we’ve seen all the flats go due to lack of maintenance and general repair. Skyride, it’s clear this is going to cost millions to repair. Same with Hex as well. If I work out area by area what needs doing I’d say we’re talking £50m before another coaster is added. Kiss goodbye to Horizon in my mind until 2027.

I also believe up until this point any refurbs and fixes are likely to be short term. Expect issues with Alton Manor for instance. David W land is already in disrepair.

What I would say - Nemesis. Looks ace. Not my cup of tea but the area does look fresh and well done. If this is a new team decision then it gives us hope. I’m intrigued as to what else has been done as Bianca’s insta indicates millions has been spent. Good!

We’re right at the lowest point now but I see shoots of recovery, of promise. I dare say in 5 years time we will have a far better product in our hands.

Project Ocean - substantial investment for a flat ride indicates thought is going into the park and areas. Old Merlin wouldn’t have gone to that level.

I'm not convinced that they were expecting Skyride to be ready for this year til they found a problem like with Hex. That's because otherwise Skyride would have been featured in the promo a few weeks back, just like Hex was.

Think it's very apparent that it needs a few million spending on it to keep it running for years to come.

I genuinely do not think that they did expect or intend for it to be closed for the entire 2024 season. If they did then I am completely perplexed as to why they were doing cosmetic paint work only a few weeks ago, what a colossal waste of time and money that would be for something that’s not due to open at some point this year!

There’s every chance that they sorted, or got close to sorting, one issue and have discovered something else pretty substantial.

At this stage there is every chance that previous management would have said enough is enough and removed it (well, closed it without removing as removing would also cost money). It is refreshing to see that they are spending a significant sum of money in ensuring it does have a long term future.

Of course it is not good news and I do feel for those who rely on the Skyride when visiting. But like much of Alton Towers, it’s been neglected for so many years before now.

I feel for Biance to be honest, it's clear she's been left to clean up years of neglect. I have faith the Skyride will be back in 2025, as she does say it's her ambition not to lose it from the parks lineup. Whilst I don't think having to pay £25 to get around on a mobility scooter as an alternative to something which is included in the parks lineup is great, I appreciate her honesty before the season has started, and also appreciate the money going into it to get it operational again.

Bianca’s insta indicates millions has been spent
How much can feasibly be spent without adding anything new? I mean, Merlin are excellent at marketing however, trying to spin "We have spent £Xmillion fixing rides so they actually work, and cleaned up the park because we let it get grotty" is a hard point to spin! Maybe when the 'fix' Thirteen and are able to market "Thirteen: that tame family coaster we gave a scary theme to: now able to operate in light rain" we may be onto a winner.

Realistically though, at what point does spending money fixing the things that shouldn't have been allowed to break start impacting actual investment?

I feel for Biance to be honest, it's clear she's been left to clean up years of neglect. I have faith the Skyride will be back in 2025, as she does say it's her ambition not to lose it from the parks lineup. Whilst I don't think having to pay £25 to get around on a mobility scooter as an alternative to something which is included in the parks lineup is great, I appreciate her honesty before the season has started, and also appreciate the money going into it to get it operational again.
Double post - sorry!

I feel that Towers needs to be really looking at hiring something that could help transport RAP users around the park. Something like one of these: 1709978333932.png

The fact that the Skyride is depicted on the 2024 map that was released today suggests the closure was not the original plan and the decision has only been taken recently.

If they knew for sometime that it wouldn’t open this season they would have most likely removed it from the map entirely to avoid confusion for guests.

IMG_6246.jpeg

How much can feasibly be spent without adding anything new? I mean, Merlin are excellent at marketing however, trying to spin "We have spent £Xmillion fixing rides so they actually work, and cleaned up the park because we let it get grotty" is a hard point to spin! Maybe when the 'fix' Thirteen and are able to market "Thirteen: that tame family coaster we gave a scary theme to: now able to operate in light rain" we may be onto a winner.

Realistically though, at what point does spending money fixing the things that shouldn't have been allowed to break start impacting actual investment?

That’s a very valid point.

I’m going to just throw my numbers out some of which I’ve heard on various rumour channels:

- Skyride - £13m
- Hex - £8m
- Paths, lighting etc - £2m
- Electrical upgrade - £5m
- Repairs to broken theming - £5m

These are all guesses based on work experience but there is £33m before anything has been added. Assume Ocean is £10m and you’re not far off the £50m I guessed at.

That sort of investment can put any business back a touch in terms of new investment. Clearly from a p&l perspective I’d guess a lot of the work is capitalised but the cash still needs to be spent, and I can only assume the Group company leverage some cost to this if the park go over and above budget.

What we don’t know is if the parent co know this was needed and have given AT a lump some of cash to fix the park. I keep going back to earlier rumours of large pots of cash being given to all UK Merlin parks.

The skyride isn't being closed for a year, in total it is closed for 28 months...if not for good.
Whatever needed doing needed doing eighteen months ago, but headline attractions come first.
The problem is this type of maintanence is slow with not much to do but wait for parts you can assign all the maintanence crews to the ride but, unlike cars they don't have parts sat on a shelf, they are all have to be made when required somthing in the current supply chain problems that could over run, then if they reinstalled it and found problems with another system after whilst testing, it needs to be closed again.

I genuinely do not think that they did expect or intend for it to be closed for the entire 2024 season. If they did then I am completely perplexed as to why they were doing cosmetic paint work only a few weeks ago, what a colossal waste of time and money that would be for something that’s not due to open at some point this year!

There’s every chance that they sorted, or got close to sorting, one issue and have discovered something else pretty substantial.

At this stage there is every chance that previous management would have said enough is enough and removed it (well, closed it without removing as removing would also cost money). It is refreshing to see that they are spending a significant sum of money in ensuring it does have a long term future.

Of course it is not good news and I do feel for those who rely on the Skyride when visiting. But like much of Alton Towers, it’s been neglected for so many years before now.
I recall seeing some stuff of them testing with gondalas on the rope a couple weeks back.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Skyride issue is complex. The park feels built with being able to zip across the park in a few minutes in mind. Without it, the park is a huge horseshoe shape, what's the point of a queue time board telling you Galactica has it's first sub-hour queue of the day when you're in Dark Forest? When you enter the park you pick an arm of the horseshoe and, basically, commit to spending the day travelling in one direction or the other.

And that's substandard for people who's only issue with the trek is the time it takes and the logistics of planning your day. For many people, the effort it requires takes what should be their exciting, relaxing day out, a trial.

Skyride is a great attraction, but ultimately, it should be treated as a transport ride first and foremost. If a path between two areas of your park floods, you work out and communicate an alternative route. If your cross-park transport ride is closed for multiple years, you work out an alternative.

An overhaul to ensure longevity, maybe sorting out the ratty, uninspired stations - great. But acting like the layout of the park is acceptable or well thought out without it, it's a poor show.

Land trains would be difficult to operate with the paths of the park being as pinchy and windy as they are. But there must be some solution.

From a health and safety point of view it seems pretty impossible that you'd be able to get land-trains safely around the theme park on any kind of busy day. The paths are just too busy with people. Imagine trying to get from near Hex, over the white bridge and past Battle Galleons, then up the path through Katanga and past Curse etc. You could potentially take a short-cut through Haunted Hollow but then you've still got people using that path to walk on and you still have the problem of the first leg of the journey from Dark Forest. I'd love to see it myself, or a fleet of tuk-tuks or something, but I just don't think they'd go for it these days.

The only other possibility would be to run on the access roads from Merlin Magic Making to the entrance to Galactica gate although it could cause issues keeping non ticket holders out.

I know I’m going to get hate but I’m not a fan of the sky ride I would rather walk and get fit as I’m not good with high and when it stop and swing I panic so I rather walk

I do hope it opens next year for people that love it or can’t walk for to long or have problems getting around the park

I know I’m going to get hate but I’m not a fan of the sky ride I would rather walk and get fit as I’m not good with high and when it stop and swing I panic so I rather walk

I do hope it opens next year for people that love it or can’t walk for to long or have problems getting around the park
Everyone's entitled to their opinion and I don't see why you think you'd get hate for having a preference on not liking the Sky Ride. We're not all that bad!

I don't like using the Sky Ride either. I'd much rather stretch my wings and have a good old fly around. Sadly I can't lift that much, otherwise I'd put @rob666 in a wicker basket so he can get his Towers fill.

Everything points to them expecting it to be and working towards it being open this year, and something big having happened or been found stopped that happening.

Rather proving it to have been the right thing to do not to provide a date or timeframe for it to reopen, as frustrating as that may have been.

Sadly I can't lift that much, otherwise I'd put @rob666 in a wicker basket so he can get his Towers fill.
Right...that is one corner of my sedan chair sorted.
Just need another three volunteers now...
Only around five stone a corner including the chair.
My actual plans were made a couple of weeks ago when I thought there was no chance of the skyride for this year, slow walk , termtime weekday, dropping the dark forest, as it isn't worth the disability excess charge scooter rental.
The rest should be manageable at my own pace.
Still stinks how this mess has been managed however.