• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Hotels: A Journey

Absolutely not.

Excellence is where I trust the leadership want to go and with new blood across the resort, keeping the topic title as it was is unfair.

If there's no sign of improvement in 12 months, it can be changed back.
Really? With all due respect, hearing you talk something positive Towers related is not only ultra rare but...well, weird TBH.

Sounds like I'm sounding negative myself but at first when I saw that title, I'd honestly thought you cracked...then again after having to put up with Merlin's baffling choices for the park for the best part of over a decade by this point is enough to put anyone in the nut house for what they've done for the park. :p

Really? With all due respect, hearing you talk something positive Towers related is not only ultra rare but...well, weird TBH.

Sounds like I'm sounding negative myself but at first when I saw that title, I'd honestly thought you cracked...then again after having to put up with Merlin's baffling choices for the park for the best part of over a decade by this point is enough to put anyone in the nut house for what they've done for the park. :p
It makes sense to me. The park is under new management, some of the TS team have met Bianca and I agree with @AstroDan that it's not fair to be overly negative before they've been given an opportunity to address issues that were not of their own making.

I think we've seen improvements in operations and events this year already, and some of the newer Aramark outlets (e.g. Coach House Confectionery) are promising - pricey maybe, but themed to the area and of decent quality. They know the standards they want to reach, but it isn't going to happen everywhere overnight.

It's just that I've been so stuck on a negative mindset for so long that anything positive is actually now an alien concept given how long it has been when you not include new attractions.

Whilst I'm positive that improvements will be made, let's face facts. When you're on the floor, the only way to go is up.

Since the word "grateful" has resurfaced again around these parts, let's remember that everytime they sink lower than predicted, a minor step back from the precipice is usually seen as progress. Yet the longer term trajectory, when averaged out, remains the same.

Whilst a jug of water and some squash can be seen as thoughtful during a "heatwave" (AKA Summer), it's desperately sad that something so basic in a resort that charges many hundreds of pounds for a one night stay is even being discussed. How far they have fallen.

Whilst I'm positive that improvements will be made, let's face facts. When you're on the floor, the only way to go is up.

Since the word "grateful" has resurfaced again around these parts, let's remember that everytime they sink lower than predicted, a minor step back from the precipice is usually seen as progress. Yet the longer term trajectory, when averaged out, remains the same.

Whilst a jug of water and some squash can be seen as thoughtful during a "heatwave" (AKA Summer), it's desperately sad that something so basic in a resort that charges many hundreds of pounds for a one night stay is even being discussed. How far they have fallen.

Where has anyone said they are grateful?

Forums discuss things, both positive and negative. If a Google or trip advisor review was saying a jug of water was a reason to pay £100’s of pounds you would have a point, but forums always get into the minutiae of any change in the area they are interested in.

I doubt very much Dan has changed the topic title due to a jug of water and some squash. The main positive change is the prices have dropped considerably in the last few weeks. There is also a new hotel director alongside the new resort wide director so it’s just an acknowledgment that positive change is possible.

Given the prices at the hotels they surely could stretch to having free bottled water for people to take with them.

I appreciate they're at least trying but it does look rather amateur-ish, like something you'd see at a kids birthday party.

Given the prices at the hotels they surely could stretch to having free bottled water for people to take with them.

I appreciate they're at least trying but it does look rather amateur-ish, like something you'd see at a kids birthday party.

No hotels offer free bottled water in reception to all guests. The best you normally get even at 4-5 star hotels is two bottles at room temperature in the room and some restrict that to loyalty customers only.

As has already been said the normal way to do this is to put out a large dispenser with a tap on the front of iced water. Many hotels provide that in the lobby alongside one with lemon (or orange or cucumber etc) slices in the iced water. Wetherspoons pubs use them now due to the legal requirement to provide free tap water when serving alcohol in the UK as it saves staff time if customers can help themselves.

This table does look very amatuer and they really should just invest in the proper dispenser. The squash is a nice touch though as it acknowledges its a family hotel and kids don't always want plain water.

No hotels offer free bottled water in reception to all guests. The best you normally get even at 4-5 star hotels is two bottles at room temperature in the room and some restrict that to loyalty customers only.
In my experience it's pretty common to have bottled water in the rooms, I would be more surprised if there wasn't actually.

In my experience it's pretty common to have bottled water in the rooms, I would be more surprised if there wasn't actually.

I've stayed in more hotels that don't offer complimentary water than do have it. Although both of the hotels I was in last week (one three star and one 4-5 star) had it. But the Hilton I was in back in March only offered it to those with silver loyalty status and above so I never assume its going to be present.

My parents recently went to Spain (4-star hotel), and they provided reusable bottles (you could keep them) to use for freshwater dispensers scattered throughout the hotel.

I know it's a different climate, but I'm surprised that's not more of a thing, even if you paid for the bottle.

Where has anyone said they are grateful?

Forums discuss things, both positive and negative. If a Google or trip advisor review was saying a jug of water was a reason to pay £100’s of pounds you would have a point, but forums always get into the minutiae of any change in the area they are interested in.

I doubt very much Dan has changed the topic title due to a jug of water and some squash. The main positive change is the prices have dropped considerably in the last few weeks. There is also a new hotel director alongside the new resort wide director so it’s just an acknowledgment that positive change is possible.
I'm unsure if you're reading too much into what I said of not. In answer to your question, gratitude was brought up recently in the NST thread, where critical discussion (as is the norm on a forum) was branded as "ungrateful".

To explain - the theme of my post was that the overall levels of quality and service at the resort have declined over the longer term and seemingly continue to do so. Yet when some relent occurs, no matter how small, it is celebrated as a step forward, yet in the longer term, downgrading is still happening.

I'll happily celebrate with everyone else when directions change, and I'm happy to debate the impact such changes have on the future direction of the resort. But I'd like to point out that we used to get excited about far more than hired in fun fair flats (myself included), the park opening past 4pm, the mostly unaltered re-opening of a broken ride that's unacceptably been closed for a number of years, the *sign* for said ride not being as bad as previously thought and a jug of water next to a bottle of cordial (albeit Schweppes) in a hotel.

That's being "grateful" in action. Things were expected to be far worse than they turned out to be, so it's seen as a win. Nothing to do with thread name changes or anything like that as I have no idea what that's about so I'm not qualified to make any comment. But you have to admit, we've been talking about a jug of water and bottle of squash for quite a while now. I couldn't imagine that happening even a few years ago.

I'm at Butlins again, you know, the accepted low marker for hotels and resorts in the UK.

I can answer the big question; every hotel and every bar has a proper iced water dispenser. And not just because it is hot this week.

Also worth noting that since I stayed in the same room type just over a year ago it's had a repaint, new carpet, new sofa and curtains. All very fresh.

Oh, and this is a midweek 4 night break including shows, fairground, waterpark, breakfast and dinner all included for only just over double the price of one night at AT (outside of the shed option) including breakfast and nothing else. Apparently it'd cost me £88 just to go swimming! The included food puts every comparable equivalent at AT to shame for no money.

Had an icecream each today; included I large scoop from many varied flavours, waffle cone, one sauce and one topping (all branded like biscoff sauce and crushed Cadbury chocs on top), £2.95 each. AT are charging more than that for a standard cornetto.

Just shows what atrocious value for money AT is all round.

In case you were taking notes, yes this is the 2nd time here in 3 months. In that time Merlin has had none of my custom.

So, we've just come back from a 2 day stay at the resort. We booked the Enchanted Village "Lodges" for 1 night on Friday, for around 200 quid.
After a long and tiring day on the park on Friday, we went to check in around 6ish.
Walking down, upon first viewing, the area seemed a little overgrown, however, I let this slide as I'm guessing it's the whole idea of the village, it's a forest. Nothing stopping them to get a gardener in like to trim a few bushes down.
We go to check in, met by a lady at a screen, like a self check in. All checked in, and go to the lodge.
Walk in and this is where the shit starts.
All mud and dust over the carpet. Floor hasn't been hoovered at all, dust everywhere and little bits of rubbish like it hasn't been touched in ages.
Then the bathroom ffs. Spiders in the bath!!! Not just 1, but 2!!! And then like toothpaste over both taps, and the sink is filthy. Floor is the same, not been hovered or even touched. The whole room was just pure filth, like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks.
Obviously took plenty of photos, and went to complain at reception. Fair play to the Receptionist/Manager, sorted it out straight away and moved/upgraded us to an Arctic Explorer Room in the main hotel, and gave us a £75 refund.

So after all the commotion, we move to the hotel. Go into the room, and yes, it's considerably better. It's cleaner for a start and a slightly nicer room.
However, there was dust on the skirting boards and window sill, which doesn't take much to clean, just a wipe.
After all the fuss already, we thought we'd just leave it and mention it at check out in the morning.
Next day, breakfast was OK, nothing special as I'm sure you all know. Bog standard if that.
Then, check out comes, and a manager comes to speak to us. We explain what has happened all over again, and gives us a further refund, another 30 quid or so.
The previous day at the park, we paid for Fastracks for Smiler and then broke down on it, and she offered to refund us them too which was nice.
So after all the fuss, overall, the hotels/accommodation has massively worsened since Post-Covid. This is the first time we have stayed in the accommodation Post Covid and it is awful. We have been loads of times in the hotels and it's never been bad, nor this bad. It's just basic standards. Maybe they are struggling for staff or something I'm not sure, but especially when it is like 2x the price of a Travelodge round the corner, you'd expect better definitely.
If you do have these similar issues, I'd definitely say to mention it while you are there otherwise you probably won't receive decent compensation.
Don't think we'll be staying on site again tbf.
They need to up their game massively otherwise they will lose many customers. Covid ain't an excuse anymore. Merlin get it sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, we've just come back from a 2 day stay at the resort. We booked the Enchanted Village "Lodges" for 1 night on Friday, for around 200 quid.
After a long and tiring day on the park on Friday, we went to check in around 6ish.
Walking down, upon first viewing, the area seemed a little overgrown, however, I let this slide as I'm guessing it's the whole idea of the village, it's a forest. Nothing stopping them to get a gardener in like to trim a few bushes down.
We go to check in, met by a lady at a screen, like a self check in. All checked in, and go to the lodge.
Walk in and this is where the shit starts.
All mud and dust over the carpet. Floor hasn't been hoovered at all, dust everywhere and little bits of rubbish like it hasn't been touched in ages.
Then the bathroom ffs. Spiders in the bath!!! Not just 1, but 2!!! And then like toothpaste over both taps, and the sink is filthy. Floor is the same, not been hovered or even touched. The whole room was just pure filth, like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks.
Obviously took plenty of photos, and went to complain at reception. Fair play to the Receptionist/Manager, sorted it out straight away and moved/upgraded us to an Arctic Explorer Room in the main hotel, and gave us a £75 refund.

So after all the commotion, we move to the hotel. Go into the room, and yes, it's considerably better. It's cleaner for a start and a slightly nicer room.
However, there was dust on the skirting boards and window sill, which doesn't take much to clean, just a wipe.
After all the fuss already, we thought we'd just leave it and mention it at check out in the morning.
Next day, breakfast was OK, nothing special as I'm sure you all know. Bog standard if that.
Then, check out comes, and a manager comes to speak to us. We explain what has happened all over again, and gives us a further refund, another 30 quid or so.
The previous day at the park, we paid for Fastracks for Smiler and then broke down on it, and she offered to refund us them too which was nice.
So after all the fuss, overall, the hotels/accommodation has massively worsened since Post-Covid. This is the first time we have stayed in the accommodation Post Covid and it is awful. We have been loads of times in the hotels and it's never been bad, nor this bad. It's just basic standards. Maybe they are struggling for staff or something I'm not sure, but especially when it is like 2x the price of a Travelodge round the corner, you'd expect better definitely.
If you do have these similar issues, I'd definitely say to mention it while you are there otherwise you probably won't receive decent compensation.
Don't think we'll be staying on site again tbf.
They need to up their game massively otherwise they will lose many customers. Covid ain't an excuse anymore. Merlin get it sorted.
That doesn’t sound great at all. Surely giving guests a clean room is the most basic and expected requirement.

Does anyone know if hotel cleaning staff work to corporate standards when it comes to cleaning rooms or is it left to their own interpretation as to what constitutes a clean room? I know chains like Premier Inn for example have standards for everything such as how the bed presentation should be and how towels are folded etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn’t sound great at all. Surely giving guests a clean room is the most basic and expected requirement.

Does anyone know if hotel cleaning staff work to corporate standards when it comes to cleaning rooms or is it left to their own interpretation as to what constitutes a clean room? I know chains like Premier Inn for example have standards for everything such as how the bed presentation should be and how towels are folded etc.

They absolutely do have set standards for what should be completed in each room and a percentage of rooms are also checked by supervisors each day and signed off. Clearly something is going wrong though.

Last edited: