• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The I Feel Down Topic.

As lockdown has started easing, it has hit me that my life will change in no way. I live in Buxton but have no friends here. People said to me go to bars or the gym and you'll strike up conversations with people. It just doesn't happen. It makes me feel so lonely knowing this is sort of my life. I work from home and will continue to as my company has decided to ask the dev team to stay remote.

I just don't want to spend my life sitting inside waiting for something to happen, but I have no idea how to get out and make friends
Well hopefully TS meets will be able to resume soon, so that may help. :)

As lockdown has started easing, it has hit me that my life will change in no way. I live in Buxton but have no friends here. People said to me go to bars or the gym and you'll strike up conversations with people. It just doesn't happen. It makes me feel so lonely knowing this is sort of my life. I work from home and will continue to as my company has decided to ask the dev team to stay remote.

I just don't want to spend my life sitting inside waiting for something to happen, but I have no idea how to get out and make friends
Dippy and me often offer free beer to sad geeks in Crevettes on weekdays on the Beach.
You would be more than welcome to join us.
Shakey's round apparently, so we are going on Champagne.
By the bucket.

Dippy and me often offer free beer to sad geeks in Crevettes on weekdays on the Beach.
You would be more than welcome to join us.
Shakey's round apparently, so we are going on Champagne.
By the bucket.
You are making me wish that
1. I was in the North
2. I was allowed to drink!

And especially in recent circumstances, you would be more than welcome...
They sell soft drinks as well.
Allegedly.
And oysters.
But mainly prawn salads, that are slimming, until dippy puts a bucket of seafood sauce on top.
Yesterday afternoon on the little balcony seats did feel like a little bit of heaven, playing spot the geek.

Maybe try some clubs that meet in smaller groups that create interaction? Big team games can feel a bit impenetrable if everyone else already knows each other, but something like badminton where generally you will all swap round after each game so you end up chatting to everyone individually as well as in the group gives you a good chance clicking with people. There's usually a decent social side to these clubs too with a beer or two after.

I actually have some success with talking in the gym. Every week in our PE lesson (I'm not taking PE as an A-Level but every student still gets a PE lesson a week with a choice of games/gym equipment), it's always the same three of us on the exercise bikes and we talk about all sorts of things in the allotted 45 minutes and I find that to be a huge help when I'm stressed out. (And just in case anyone thinks we are slacking, we all do at least 10km per session and my record is 13km although I overdid it that time).

The best thing you could possibly get to break the ice chatting to very nice strangers...a three legged dog.
Oh if I was forty years younger, the number of times I could have pulled.
Now I'm stuck with hot grannies.

I have been feeling up and down quite a lot like most people have I'm sure. It's been a very tough year.

However one thing that has really helped me is coming off social media completely. Until you do you don't realise just how intrusive it has become and how it takes over your life. I have found that Twitter in particular is just a breeding ground for hatred these days. Way too much negativity on there.

Honestly couldn't recommend it more.

I know I pretty much stopped before I started, but the few weeks I was briefly, accidentally, on facebook were a quick lesson.
Why would I want to look at your toddlers breakfast?
Nothing but a few freak and geek sites.
Welcome to the fold Benjsh, another pint I owe in Crevettes.

I know I pretty much stopped before I started, but the few weeks I was briefly, accidentally, on facebook were a quick lesson.
Why would I want to look at your toddlers breakfast?
Nothing but a few freak and geek sites.
Welcome to the fold Benjsh, another pint I owe in Crevettes.

I was at University when Facebook started. You actually had to have a .AC address back then. You couldn't log in via hotmail or Google. It was more exclusive and it was something new.

However I tend to agree all the benefits of having social media platforms like Facebook soon are eroded away with pictures of meals as you say and all that other boring stuff.

I don't think I'm ever going back tbh. It's such a waste of life.

Leading on from what I posted in the COVID thread, I’m feeling a bit down because I’m really scared about COVID again. With the way things are going with the Delta variant, it almost feels like December all over again, when the Alpha variant came along. I’m hearing scientists starting to say that we’ll be in full lockdown again before too long, and as much as we have the vaccines, they’re apparently not very effective against the Delta variant, and the percentage of the population fully vaccinated is still too low to stop the Delta variant from causing major issues. Add to that that the Delta variant apparently doubles the risk of hospitalisation, and things are starting to feel like December all over again.

With the virus seemingly throwing up a curveball every time we try and open up, would it be worth just staying in lockdown forever, and not ever trying to go back to how we were before? I want to move into step 4 just as much as everyone else does, but are we feasibly ever going to be able to without causing major problems on the virus front? Should we just give up and accept what we have now as the new status quo? Or are my worries unfounded?

It really depresses me a bit thinking about COVID at the moment, even though most people seem to think we’re out of the worst of it…

Our Matt with a hint of pessimism?!?
Good grief.
Come on mate, chin up, it is most likely going to be around for years, but we now have vaccines, annual single shot boosters to mop up the newbies each season, will become the norm, and experience in managing regional flare ups and the like means we can cope better when the virus hits the fan.
Hospital rates and death rates are much lower now, we need to get things closer to how they were to get the economy back on good ground to pay for it all.

Our Matt with a hint of pessimism?!?
Good grief.
Come on mate, chin up, it is most likely going to be around for years, but we now have vaccines, annual single shot boosters to mop up the newbies each season, will become the norm, and experience in managing regional flare ups and the like means we can cope better when the virus hits the fan.
Hospital rates and death rates are much lower now, we need to get things closer to how they were to get the economy back on good ground to pay for it all.
As much as I’d still like to think of myself as an optimist at heart, I’ve always been a bit of a worrier, as well, and I think COVID has amplified that a fair amount. I have the sort of mind that tends to leap to all kinds of conclusions based off of the smallest of things, and all of the varying reports about COVID don’t help with that.

If it’s remotely possible to be both an optimist and a worrier at the same time, then that sums me up perfectly!

Last edited:
As much as I’d still like to think of myself as an optimist at heart, I’ve always been a bit of a worrier, as well, and I think COVID has amplified that a fair amount. I have the sort of mind that tends to leap to all kinds of conclusions based off of the smallest of things, and all of the varying reports about COVID don’t help with that.

If it’s remotely possible to be both an optimist and a worrier at the same time, then that sums me up perfectly!

I do relate, I'm a bit of a worrier as well and I really don't like the sound of these headlines. It's tempting to get lulled into a false sense of security each time we start to unlock only for our hopes to be dashed when things go south again. It's wreaking havoc on my mental health.

However I do think we're in a much better place than we have been since March last year. A huge proportion of us have now been fully vaccinated and even if the new variants are more transmissible hospitalisations and deaths should stay low among the vaccinated population.

I do think if this situation has taught me anything though it's not to waste chances. There might only be a short window if opportunity to take that trip or see that friend so whereas before I might have dithered I'm now a lot more inclined to say "yeah f*ck it, let's just do that" and make the most of every situation.

Last paragraph, absolutely spot on.
Best mates in Preston and Y***shire, managed to get a meal in with both sets in the few weeks we were allowed.
Being in Blackburn, I'm glad we got it in while we could.
Plans for half term went a bit tits up though.
It also means I'm self banned from the Beach for a month.

Last paragraph, absolutely spot on.
Best mates in Preston and Y***shire, managed to get a meal in with both sets in the few weeks we were allowed.
Being in Blackburn, I'm glad we got it in while we could.
Plans for half term went a bit tits up though.
It also means I'm self banned from the Beach for a month.
Self-banned from the Beach? How will Crevettes cope? ;)