• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The I Feel Happy Topic!

On a similar note, every passenger on the Indiana Jones Adventure ride had a normal bar to grab onto, except for the person in the front left seat, who had a big steering wheel. Having your hands on the sides actually made the ride more exciting, as you had a little less stability than the normal bars, and apologizing to the rest of the riders for the erratic driving was always a great bit

Well folks, a very happy day for two reasons as I'll be ready on a wee holiday down to Peebles in the Scottish borders however that is not the main story...today marks 100 years when the world's most famous steam locomotive Flying Scotsman rolled out of the Doncaster locomotive works and into history. Oh yes, the old girl is up at Edinburgh Waverly station celebrating her 100th birthday, not a bad place to celebrate your centenary IMO. Not often I talk about my love of trains but it is such a happy event that I felt the need to share it for you all here. :)

Well folks, a very happy day for two reasons as I'll be ready on a wee holiday down to Peebles in the Scottish borders however that is not the main story...today marks 100 years when the world's most famous steam locomotive Flying Scotsman rolled out of the Doncaster locomotive works and into history. Oh yes, the old girl is up at Edinburgh Waverly station celebrating her 100th birthday, not a bad place to celebrate your centenary IMO. Not often I talk about my love of trains but it is such a happy event that I felt the need to share it for you all here. :)
I like the bit where trains. :D

Flying Scotsmsn isn't even Scottish, can't fly and I'll give you credit if you can find a piece on it which is actually 100 years old.

It hasn't been cool since it was in LNER Apple Green and had two tenders.

I've been volunteering with a charity called Scope in one of their shops (with support) for a few months now, and can't believe how well it's going. I started off in the back room processing donations, then trained on the till (first time I used one). I thought it would take me much longer to learn the till than it actually did. Been going so well that I've been put forward for the first stage of their development programme, and should be starting it this week once the paperwork arrives. That will allow me to do a few more things on the till and such. Joining them was definitely a great decision, and I really enjoy being there. They've even said that they would be happy for me to come on my own if there was ever a day where my support was off.

Last edited:
I've been volunteering with a charity called Scope in one of their shops (with support) for a few months now, and can't believe how well it's going. I started off in the back room processing donations, then trained on the till (first time I used one). I thought it would take me much longer to learn the till than it actually did. Been going so well that I've been put forward for the first stage of their development programme, and should be starting it this week once the paperwork arrives. That will allow me to do a few more things on the till and such. Joining them was definitely a great decision, and I really enjoy being there. They've even said that they would be happy for me to come on my own if there was ever a day where my support was off.
Have you got me that swan t-shirt yet ?

Flying Scotsman isn't even Scottish, can't fly and I'll give you credit if you can find a piece on it which is actually 100 years old.

It hasn't been cool since it was in LNER Apple Green and had two tenders.
It's a Yorkshire engine built in Doncaster and technically speaking if you still go by some ancient loophole that has Doncaster down as Scottish territory so in many ways it, along with Mallard and the rest of the LNER bunch, are Scottish! :p But yeah, it looked so much better in apple green and without those horrid smoke deflectors which ruined the engine's looks, but alas they won't change it as they can only go with a most historically arcuate LNER A3 locomotive which means we're stuck with Brunswick green for now...a colour that is pretty much Merlin black IMO. Now for the two tenders, no...it had its purpose then but to me it looks ludicrous with them.
And it isn't even that rare, spotted it while sat on my outside bog some years ago.
I love living on the Settle to Carlisle link!
Mallard and Sir Nigel Gresley looked much prettier.
It is if you live up here! But you live on the Settle to Carlisle link? Where about exactly, I have been wanting to travel on it someday. A4's though are the best though I'm heartbroken that my local girl Union of South Africa is being stuffed and mounted by her owner on a farm just up the road from me...No.9 was the best A4 bar none. 😭

Between Blackburn and Clitheroe in proudest Lancashire, on the Devils Highway itself (A666).
Sadly, the Blackburn side.
That route is often used for the heritage trains, we usually get at least one steamer a week in the summer.
If the mainline goes fully down, we get the intercity west coast trains occasionally too.

Did some fair and train shenanigans to break up closed season with @MattyH. Always a win.

PXL_20230226_125955381~2.jpg
GCR? Yeah, call me foolish but that railway would have been HS2 decades earlier had it not closed...could have put the infamous APT train on it and it wouldn't have needed to tilt as the line is actually mostly straight compared to the other British railways. Ah, if only.

Thrilled that I have just hit the “Mark forums read” and waved goodbye to the bold font on topics that I haven’t read.

Oh My God Reaction GIF by MOODMAN