• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The London 2012 Olympics - The Events

Noticed Emeli Sande performed the same song twice.

Now my theory is that someone pulled out, and that was a last minute measure.

Both Adele and Kate Bush were reported to have been rehearsing for the ceremony, so maybe it was one of them?

Thoughts? :)

Sam said:
Noticed Emeli Sande performed the same song twice.

Now my theory is that someone pulled out, and that was a last minute measure.

Both Adele and Kate Bush were reported to have been rehearsing for the ceremony, so maybe it was one of them?

Thoughts? :)
Pretty Sure it was Adele who pulled out, there were strong rumours about her playing, so I'm guessing it was her.

Anyway, I thought that was pretty poor. There was no flow or structure to it, just random songs. If they hadn't have just tried to get as many people as possible they could have had real performances instead of playback. Well done to the ones who bothered singing live though. (Looking at you, The Who, One Direction)

It's a shame they didn't hide they were doing it in playback, Taylor hitting the wrong drums, Daltrey moving the mic to his waist when he was supposed to be singing, Bellamy's guitar W***ery, etc.

Highlights
Wish You Were Here artwork tribute
The Who (who in fairness, considering their age and how clearly fake it was, did rock)
Fatboy Slim and the octopus thingy
The lack of McCartney.
Bellamy hitting the high notes and the scream.
The extinguishing of the flame.

Lowlights
The rest of Muse
Jessie J popping up everywhere and being terrible throughout.
Lack of flow, narrative, or structure
Wonderwall from Beady 'we're not Oasis, honest' Eye
The delay effect on Queen. No need, there was more delay effect than at a U2 gig.
The speeches
The fashion bit.
Ed Sheeran murdering Wish You Were Here. He must be punished for that. Really, that felt like a personal insult.

It wasn't a patch on the opening ceremony, but I suppose it was fun.

Goodbye, London 2012, it's been an amazing two weeks!

I really thought the whole thing was tarnished by each artist almost obstinately and deliberately not performing their own songs, but rather (on the whole) murdering others. The miming was utterly dire and cringeworthy at times, most prominently when Russell Brand was singing "I Am The Walrus" even when he blatantly discarded the megaphone discarded halfway through.

Nothing on the opening ceremony, as Scott says, however I thought the fireworks, the Take That section and the finale with The Who were all brilliant. That Olympic cauldron will probably never be beaten in terms of design, originality and functionality - truly an inspiring piece of artwork.

I have to say I found the closing ceremony disappointing in terms of the musicians.

There were a few good moments, but sadly no major coups. They didn't seem to push the boat out in terms of getting a big group to re-unite (the Spice Girls did a tour recently).

Also, why so many people covering other people's songs - this made no sense to me. Either try and get the originals to perform or get the younger artists to sing their own songs.

There were too many British eccentricities - groups that speak to no one outside the UK. It was a little too overindulgent and will not be well-received globally.

The Who finishing things off was somewhat redeeming. Wow Roger Daltrey is still in great voice, I need to catch them live while I still can, but this really cried out for the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd or the Sex Pistols.

Blaze said:
Anyway, I thought that was pretty poor. There was no flow or structure to it, just random songs. If they hadn't have just tried to get as many people as possible they could have had real performances instead of playback. Well done to the ones who bothered singing live though. (Looking at you, The Who, One Direction)

It wasn't a patch on the opening ceremony, but I suppose it was fun.

Hmmm, I don't really think you're being fair. The Closing Ceremony seems to traditionally be a bit rubbish, and a much more relaxed affair that the opening. I think we're actually the first games to make such a big deal out of it. It's not meant to be anywhere near as good as the opening, just a fond farewell. :)

Given that the musical "highlights" of the Sydney Closing Ceremony, usually regarded as the best games ever, were Kylie Minogue and Savage Garden I don't think we did that badly. ;)

Would like to say it was a great way to show british sport, history and style it was a great few weeks that will be remembered in British history

I agree with Sam's statement above about comparing the opening to the closing ceremony. the closing ceremony has always been less of a global spectacle and more a celebration for the athletes and workers. That certainly doesn't make it immune to criticism but it does mean there's a lot less that is expected of it. I am glad though that they managed to fill in a few of the gaps left by the opening ceremony (Monty Python and the Royal Ballet). overall I enjoyed it.

On a personal note It's just a shame they decided to close the whole park at 2 o'clock for the preparation. I was lucky enough to be there in the morning to watch the bronze handball match but they started closing everything only half an hour after the game finished. Was quite sad to suddenly be hit by the reality that this was it :'( But it was fun while it lasted :D

So that's it then, it's all over. TV is terrible again. It's been a brilliant two weeks, we didn't make a big mess of it like I'd been expecting for the last 7 years, we put on a great show and the British athletes' performances were amazing, who could have predicted we would do so well?

I can't wait for Rio, I really enjoyed watching sports I'd had no interest in previously, it's a shame that it's gone just like that.

Although I still want to strangle Ed Sheeran, but let's dwell on the positives, shall we?

Loving the BT advert for the Olympic and paraolympic games with noel gallaghers "everybody's on the run" still proud to be British really looking forward to the paraolympic games

Anyone else think its insulting to paralympians that the closing ceremony is before the Paralympics even start? They work very hard, just as hard if not more than the Olympic athletes, I think it is unfair that the Olympic flame is extinguished before they start. Its like the Paralympics don't count as part of the games.

If the Olympic committee want to promote equality, they need to re-think. Never mind saying "Oh but its tradition, it goes back for generations". We need to move on.

::)

Anyway, rant over. I fully enjoyed the opening & closing ceremony, everone taking park peformed brilliantly (including the volunteers!) The songs were good, they had a good variets of artists. Be it if one or two were miming.

The games themselves were as good as usual, I'm not really a sports & athletics fan, but I have watched some of the events. Britain have done a good job of the games, equalized with bejjing in my opinion.

;D

The Paralympics get a closing ceremony as well.

Unfortunately Coldplay are playing it, so I suppose it still is an insult.

Blizzard said:
Anyone else think its insulting to paralympians that the closing ceremony is before the Paralympics even start? They work very hard, just as hard if not more than the Olympic athletes, I think it is unfair that the Olympic flame is extinguished before they start. Its like the Paralympics don't count as part of the games.

They have their own opening and closing ceremonies, and their own Paralympic flame.

Apart from being held in the same city and venues, they're quite separate events, run by different organisations (the IOC and the IPC). :)

The Paralympics isn't the Olympics though.

It is a separate entity... It has it's own opening and closing ceremonies and takes place at a different time. It uses the 'Paralympic' flame, which is different because it has started it's own individual journey and is a different thing to the Olympic flame.

The Games are separate because the disabled cannot compete against the able-bodied. I don't mean it in a bad way at all as I admire the incredible feats that the Paralympians go to! They have a separate games so that it is fair on them. Their time to shine is separate to the able-bodied athletes and as such have their own opening and closing ceremonies.

Thing is, the "Paralympic Games" does not sound as impressive as the "Olympic Games". They could still have different events, paralympics after olympics as normal, but part of the Olympics with a shared opening & closing ceremony.

The majority of people don't watch the paralympics, as they feel the "Olympics" is over, so is not worth watching. Also, I imaging it would feel a lot more satisfying winning an Olympic medal than a Paralympic medal.

;)

I think the Paralympics should be before the Olympics. It'd get more people watching it, make it seem more 'legit' and would allow them to test the venues.

I don't see how it would be more satisfying, an Olympic medal is the best you can get if you're not disabled, and a Paralympic medal the best you can get if you are disabled. They're both the pinnacle of sporting achievement. In fact, if anything, a Paralympic medal would be even more satisfying, because it means you've overcome and defeated your disability and achieved despite being disadvantaged.

I think it should be up to the Paralympians whether they want to have their own separate event or not, when they want to have it (before or after), etc. etc. As the Paralympics are organised by the International Paralympic Committee (IPC), we can only presume that they represent the feelings of the majority of participants, whose current preference it seems is to stay as a separate event. If that's what they want, then that's fine, it's their games. :)

On the topic of the Paralympics, We came 2nd in Beijing, Behind China.

This shall be good! :D

Blizzard said:
Thing is, the "Paralympic Games" does not sound as impressive as the "Olympic Games". They could still have different events, paralympics after olympics as normal, but part of the Olympics with a shared opening & closing ceremony.

The majority of people don't watch the paralympics, as they feel the "Olympics" is over, so is not worth watching. Also, I imaging it would feel a lot more satisfying winning an Olympic medal than a Paralympic medal.

;)
Why doesn't it sound as impressive? It does to me... They both have -lympic in them and thus connote sporting excellence and impressive human feats.

The problem with grouping them together in one bunch is that between the Olympics and Paralympics, stadia have to be altered, new sports have to be prepared and other logistical things have to be seen to. It wouldn't be feasible to do it all at once and it is also fairer for them to be treated as separate entities. It is disappointing that the Paralympics do not see as many viewers as the Olympics, but bunging them together would not solve this - as I doubt many more people would watch.

If you put them together and just call them both the Olympics then you can't separate the able-bodied and disabled... And if you did then you would then just have the Able-bodied 100m Olympic final followed by the Disabled 100m Olympic final. To unite them both under an identical banner would either force the Paralympians to compete alongside those who are not disabled, or it would just lead to having an extra event added to the bill but for the disabled athlete - which would largely defeat the point in uniting them.

I think that Paralympians probably love the idea of having their own Games. It is their time to shine and not anyone elses. For two weeks, sport looks at those who are not normally looked at. It is important to keep them separate for that reason alone - so that the incredible work of Paralympians can be put in the spotlight.

417547_10152044904295604_515229713_n.jpg

Wonderful Ben Cohen nails it again.

TST, shall we have a new topic for Paralympics discussion and commentary, or continue in here? :)

Sam said:
417547_10152044904295604_515229713_n.jpg

Wonderful Ben Cohen nails it again.

TST, shall we have a new topic for Paralympics discussion and commentary, or continue in here? :)

I'm sure there's already a topic for the Paralympics, Blaze.

:)