• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The London 2012 Olympics - The Events

Beth Tweddle's won bronze in the uneven bars. Finally, she's got an Olympic medal. It's only bronze, but she deserves it after trying and failing at previous Olympics. :)

Another two medals for GB as Alistair Brownlee wins gold in the men's triathlon whilst his brother Jonny wins bronze! :) Takes the medal count up to 40 now, only 7 short of our Beijing total and only 2 short of the total Beijing golds as well.

The medal table hadn't been updated - the Brownlee's medals took the tally to 42, which quickly became 43 thanks to Nick Dempsey's silver in windsurfing.

We're also guaranteed 4 medals in boxing and 1 in sailing, which means that team GB is certain to surpass Beijing's medal haul. Brownlee's gold was the 19th, which matches the number of golds last time - hopefully there will be more to come today in the cycling too.

Shame about Pendleton, that was hardly fair. Only a silver, but I'm still marrying her, whether she wants to or not.

Trott was amazing, she destroyed the American, I thought it would be close but it ended up a comfortable victory. She's got a bright future ahead.

And then there's Chris Hoy. What a man. There's nothing to say about him that hasn't already been said. The way he took off once the pace bike pulled in was incredible, I thought he lost it near the end, but leaving the bend there was only going to be one winner. Outstanding.

22 golds and 47 overall, astonishing.

Blaze said:
Shame about Pendleton, that was hardly fair. Only a silver, but I'm still marrying her, whether she wants to or not.

Trott was amazing, she destroyed the American, I thought it would be close but it ended up a comfortable victory. She's got a bright future ahead.

And then there's Chris Hoy. What a man. There's nothing to say about him that hasn't already been said. The way he took off once the pace bike pulled in was incredible, I thought he lost it near the end, but leaving the bend there was only going to be one winner. Outstanding.

22 golds and 47 overall, astonishing.

He is an absolute phenomenon - I don't think anyone will match that feat for a long, long time. The way he was able to power away on the final straight at 36 years of age is a testament to the incredibly hard work he must put in day in day out. It's great to see it pay off for him, and to see him so successful and now Britain's most decorated Olympian :) It's even more rare that he's actually a true gentleman and a really nice man in this day and age of great sportsmen being arrogant.

Loving that fact that if Yorkshire was a independent Nation it'd be ahead of the likes of Australia and South Africa with 11 (not sure if gold) medals.

PT and Georgia are right, Yorkshire IS the best county.

51 medals so far... don't think we can really complain about that!!

Team GB really have done is proud :D looking forward to seeing how many more round shiny things we can squeeze out of the next three days!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Well we've got another (I think!) 4 guaranteed medals in the boxing, another in the women's sailing and Jade Jones in the Taekwondo. That'll take us up to 57, and possibly a few more after that too. Considering 70 is the very top end hope and 48 was the bottom end target that's pretty damn good!

It is really impressive when you consider how small a nation we are in comparison with many of the other countries with similar infrastructures but lower medal counts.

I'm still chuckling at Nicola Adams' response when she won gold:
"I just wanna go to Nando's, really."
Best thing I've heard from the Olympics for a long time. :p

Considering the Games drawing to a close and 12 hours after the first womens boxing final, aside from Rugby Sevens and Golf what future sports would you like to see? I'm all up for trick surfboarding and rollerskating.

I like sports where you win by going faster, higher, longer, quicker or physically scoring goals or points, rather than being judged on some sort artistic measure.

The obvious ones we should have chucked in there as they are entertaining and would have done well are snooker and darts. They are also good for betting on which is a bit lacking in the Olympics.

Also, they should be playing the Hawaii 5-0 theme during these strange kneeling canoe races.

pluk said:
I like sports where you win by going faster, higher, longer, quicker or physically scoring goals or points, rather than being judged on some sort artistic measure.

This, this, a hundred times this. Sports should be measured, not judged.

I'd like to see squash, fell running and chess (at least as a demonstration) make it to the Olympics. :)

Sam said:
I'd like to see squash, fell running and chess (at least as a demonstration) make it to the Olympics. :)

Squash! What the hell happened to squash? I'm sure it used to be in there and is an absolutely obvious missing sport that really should be contested at the Olympics.

EDIT - apparently not, I must have been thinking of the commonwealth games. But from wiki...

At the 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires, the IOC will vote on whether to include one of the following sports in the program: floorball, baseball, karate, roller sports, softball, sport climbing, squash, wakeboarding or wushu.

I was talking about Squash the other day to a few squash players and their theory was that it wasn't in the Olympics because it's hard to make it a mass spectator sport. Unlike Tennis and Badminton it takes place in a small room with one and two half walls being used for bouncing the ball so you can't really build a stand around it.

Now you could point at Archery and say that it has the same issue but because it takes place over a 100m strip you can actually have lots of people watching it.

Tim said:
I was talking about Squash the other day to a few squash players and their theory was that it wasn't in the Olympics because it's hard to make it a mass spectator sport. Unlike Tennis and Badminton it takes place in a small room with one and two half walls being used for bouncing the ball so you can't really build a stand around it.

Now you could point at Archery and say that it has the same issue but because it takes place over a 100m strip you can actually have lots of people watching it.

You could have a transparent fourth wall and have the stand behind that?

The Psychoaster said:
Tim said:

You could have a transparent fourth wall and have the stand behind that?

There’s a Squash court like that right next to my house but the trouble is it's still not big enough to fit a whole stand as a squash court isn't very big to begging with. You could make the whole thing transparent (like that game show The Cube) and build the stands around it but then I suspect the players wouldn't be to happy as it would make it hard to see exactly where they're aiming.

They've used transparent but coloured squash courts in televised tournaments for years.

tournament-of-champions.jpg