• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Merlin VIP Annual Pass

It always amazes me how many people I see wearing their work ID outside of work. When I started my first proper job, it was drilled in to us to never wear it outside for security reasons. Not just incase someone snatched it, but also because it wasn't unknown for staff to be attacked just because of the company they worked for.
I can't find it right now, but a while back "Diamond Geezer" made a very good blog post detailing all the personal information he'd managed to gather about strangers on the tube who hadn't removed their work ID and lanyards.

I blame the way ID culture has invaded our schools. I'd never so much as seen a lanyard before I was 19. These days kids are fingerprinted, photographed and tagged like wildlife from the moment they enter school. It's all part of the grand plan to normalise ID, of course. But that's a rant for another topic...

Lanyards are a pain in the arse. I take mine off when I'm at my station working, (as well as my watch) as having a flappy dangly thing round my neck really gets in the way. I also remove it the moment I step out of the building. The idea of choosing to wear one on my day off is completely alien to me. Especially if it marked me out as part of a self-declared "elite" group that I knew was resented by the majority of people around me.

I don't personally care if people dislike me because I'm a V.I.P,mind you I've not had any issues with people, and staff often seem genuinely happy to chat (when not busy that is).

Plus it isn't exactly obvious the color of the lanyard when worn sometimes...
de30e144efdae60f4fb6aa02a76641c5.jpg

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

It always amazes me how many people I see wearing their work ID outside of work. When I started my first proper job, it was drilled in to us to never wear it outside for security reasons. Not just incase someone snatched it, but also because it wasn't unknown for staff to be attacked just because of the company they worked for.
I can't find it right now, but a while back "Diamond Geezer" made a very good blog post detailing all the personal information he'd managed to gather about strangers on the tube who hadn't removed their work ID and lanyards.

I blame the way ID culture has invaded our schools. I'd never so much as seen a lanyard before I was 19. These days kids are fingerprinted, photographed and tagged like wildlife from the moment they enter school. It's all part of the grand plan to normalise ID, of course. But that's a rant for another topic...

Lanyards are a pain in the arse. I take mine off when I'm at my station working, (as well as my watch) as having a flappy dangly thing round my neck really gets in the way. I also remove it the moment I step out of the building. The idea of choosing to wear one on my day off is completely alien to me. Especially if it marked me out as part of a self-declared "elite" group that I knew was resented by the majority of people around me.

You hide your work ID badge because you are in undercover Merlin Operative, infiltrating message boards and the like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's why we need facial recognition for entry instead :p

It's no-one else's fault but Merlin's that VIP is gone as privileges were abused and they allowed the 'holier than thou attitude' and behaviour continue by some of these so called VIP's.

Good riddance. Ooh, I think I can hear the smiler theme - ha ha ha, ha ha ha, ha ha ha ha ha

For me it's a Ticket, it gets you in and on the rides. It doesn't matter whether the customer strolled up on the day and purchased at the gate, or bought the most expensive pass available, they ought to be treated the same.

It appears that almost all of the perks of the VIP pass are purchasable individually, at an inflated price, sure. So I don't think it's a major loss to lose the pass, if you are happy to pay - buy it seperately.

For me it's a Ticket, it gets you in and on the rides. It doesn't matter whether the customer strolled up on the day and purchased at the gate, or bought the most expensive pass available, they ought to be treated the same.

It appears that almost all of the perks of the VIP pass are purchasable individually, at an inflated price, sure. So I don't think it's a major loss to lose the pass, if you are happy to pay - buy it seperately.

A fair few perks either aren't on offer or aren't economical standalone.

A fair few perks either aren't on offer or aren't economical standalone.

Such as? My understanding that the major perk was fast pass, which is available to purchase on the day, with a variety of different price points available.

o_O
in that case last years Towers trips would have cost me over £4750 in fastrack
of corse a £500 pass would win every time :D
Honest question as I don't think it's been asked in the Vip group-whats the maximum you would pay for the core perks and benefits of a VIP pass. (Admission,drinks and fastrack)

You'll have to excuse me if I don't sound sympathetic, but I think fast passes are underpriced across the board, far too many people taking up what should be ultra premium product (if it even has to exist).

The VIP pass was the most egregiously underpriced, with it removed they can clearly earn far more.

The reason I don't mind the prices rising here is because fast tracks have been devaluing entrance tickets for too long, and mean that other guests days will be less enjoyable.

I've nothing against VIP pass members. As I said, it's just a ticket and i can't blame anyone for taking up what was an excellent value product. The elitist attitude may have been a bit sour, but I appreciate it was only the very minority of people.

I hope if they bring the VIP pass back it will be more like £3,000 + per person. - if you want a premium experience, pay a premium price.

Nobody needs fast track.