• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Retrosquad: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Extremes are definitely still being made. I saw a brand new one a couple of months ago.

Can't comment on Spinjam as I've not done it yet but it looks pretty decent, should be a solid addition to the line-up

Do u think they brought in the Retrosquad rides to test the public review of the attractions before they decide what 3 or 4 to buy.
I think Spin Jam looks the part in x sector.
Funk and fly without the lighting package and themed to fit forbidden valley will work perfectly and if they replaced Roller disco for a breakdancer with vines on the vehicles will fit the dark forest perfectly.

Do u think they brought in the Retrosquad rides to test the public review of the attractions before they decide what 3 or 4 to buy.
I think Spin Jam looks the part in x sector.
Funk and fly without the lighting package and themed to fit forbidden valley will work perfectly and if they replaced Roller disco for a breakdancer with vines on the vehicles will fit the dark forest perfectly.
Really hope so. The queue times show that the public want them in the park (apart from Roller Disco perhaps) so the business case is there, it’s just a case of waiting to see what they’ll do. A breakdancer would be great in The Dark Forest, although I’d love for a supernova to return to that area themed like a possessed tree branch.

I think there is a general positive shift in the air at the moment at the park. Huge amounts of TLC, new flats, exceptional events and a firework display last year that was world class. Excited to see what the next couple of years bring in terms of permanent hardware.

I see there using jingles on the ride. How long till this is stopped?

I know with Extremes they usually use the one about the harnesses coming down as I Remember then being quite violent when coming down before. Unless they’ve softened them coming down.

As if the tacky music didn't draw enough attention to the fact they're travelling flats, "scream if you want to go faster" jingles are just plain laughable

I'm not against these rides being at Towers as a short term fix by any means but dear lord, apart from having naked ladies spray painted on them and a group 15 year olds snogging in the queue line before stealing your wallet, they couldn't make them any more naff now if they tried.

That does look like a decent cycle though.

I'm quite unhappy about them playing fairground jingles. This is meant to be the UK's best theme park and it's reduced to fairground rides that aren't even matching there retro-themes. I was spectical about them returning as it is, now I'm actually against them being there, they looked out of place last year but I toelrated it because of the circumstances, this year it's a bit ridiculous I really really wouldn't want to see them return in 2023.

I'm quite unhappy about them playing fairground jingles. This is meant to be the UK's best theme park and it's reduced to fairground rides that aren't even matching there retro-themes. I was spectical about them returning as it is, now I'm actually against them being there, they looked out of place last year but I toelrated it because of the circumstances, this year it's a bit ridiculous I really really wouldn't want to see them return in 2023.
But at the same time, the alternative is probably nothing? I certainly don't want to go back to those days.

But at the same time, the alternative is probably nothing? I certainly don't want to go back to those days.
I think I'd prefer nothing than them blasting out tacky crap. This is Alton Towers not Barry Island.
I can tolerate it for another year but they need to fill in at least one of the spaces for next year and not bother with the retro-squad or should I say tacky-squad next year.
As much as I know you are right, it pains me, I just want them to do something decent.

Whilst I'm sure they'll use the feedback from guests for justification that investment in flat rides is required, these types of rides are just not built for the level of use they get at Towers, so wouldn't expect to see any of them as permanent additions. Funk'N'Fly is just too lightweight for that level of use and apparently went through a fair few parts last year, hence the other model this year as they probably didn't want to come back. Mixtape was on its derrière come end of season last year, whilst Roller Disco was running too slow to even attempt to gain any sort of wear and tear. Their addition is purely a knee jerk reaction to get something in the park to get guests riding more rides on their visit.

Used to quite like Extremes when I could stomach flat rides, not sure it's one that's suitable for Towers and certainly not from an audio point of view at the moment! Towers probably struggled to get many "high adrenaline" rides at all, as the money to be made on the fair circuit at £5 plus a go, festivals at double that is probably far higher with restrictions having now eased. I just hope this is the last year of them, and there's more of an effort for permanent additions moving forward.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.