• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Retrosquad: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
If I remember rightly they were removing signage off the rides as soon as the last riders had been on last year. With the amount of downtime roller disco and Funk&fly had this season they may have decided not to take them on the winter circuit this time around.
I think next season they should keep spin jam, bring back mix tape and bring in a new model.
I do think they will extend the contact of the Retro squad as with the cost of Nemesis upgrade/re-track and this dark ride there won’t be the budget for new flats.

Last weekend for the fun event all 3 Retrosquad rides were still there with no changes, except I notice the speakers had been removed from Rollerdisco.

This is different to last year when all 3 retrosquad rides had been removed before the run event, with all fencing, signs, etc removed. So it seems odd for them all to stay a week later than needed.

So either the show man had no urgency to remove them, so just leave them at towers and then move them, or they are planning on staying next season.

Could the Retro Squad be made permanent with theming that fit the land it was in? For example, Roller Disco could be a monitoring device tracking the expansion of the Dark Forest, Funk n Fly could be a Phalanx attack on Nemesis (tying in to the Nemesis retrack, and was a proposed theme for Air) and Spinjam could be another Ministry of Joy experiment.

Could the Retro Squad be made permanent with theming that fit the land it was in? For example, Roller Disco could be a monitoring device tracking the expansion of the Dark Forest, Funk n Fly could be a Phalanx attack on Nemesis (tying in to the Nemesis retrack, and was a proposed theme for Air) and Spinjam could be another Ministry of Joy experiment.

Well they could, but why not just go for proper theme park models instead of touring rides.

Unless they were part of the hotel complex as their own separate second mini gate instead of being on the park themselves.

And regarding Roller Disco...
Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Yup as discussed on previous pages, the models they have just aren't built for the duty cycles of a theme park. That's demonstrated by the amount of downtime they've had since they've been here. They were a stop gap, and should've been ditched long ago in exchange for more reliable, solid rides.

How are we getting these great drone photos? Is it towers? Just it recall them prosecuting someone previously for flying a drone over the park

How are we getting these great drone photos? Is it towers? Just it recall them prosecuting someone previously for flying a drone over the park
This has already been discussed at length over in the Duel topic, so without wanting to derail this one with discussion on drones too, I'll do a brief TL;DR on it. Basically the rules for lightweight drones are fairly open in the grand scheme of things. The issue in 2014 was the guy was filming over a congested area (it was the Sunday of fireworks!) and not maintaining visual contact with the drone. On the occasions we've shared photos members have taken, we're certain that the footage has been taken while obeying the CAA's rules.

I'm sure they'd love to if they didn't already have pre-planned capexes in place.
Exactly. I said a few pages back that I'd heard somewhere that this was a 3 year contract with the fairground people, starting at the end of Covid restrictions in 2020/21. At that time, no-one knew which way the easing restrictions would go (ie get better or worse) and whether visitor numbers would increase rapidly or not. So in my mind, it made perfect sense to have done something like this to see them through the last 2 years plus 2023 - the post-covid era.

If we're having the same conversation this time next year then we should be worried....!

I'm sure they'd love to if they didn't already have pre-planned capexes in place.
They knew they had a flat ride problem, they should have allocated at least some capex to fixing that. It's not really an excuse to have cheap and tacky fairground rides. I understand that capex's can be difficult to change, however in this circumstance they should be doing so at all costs.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.